Snake-Like Creature (and Ellen) gone from Universe of Energy

Mike S

Original Poster
I'm on the ride now and I was really surprised to see it was gone.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Is it finally getting fixed?

Mike S

Original Poster
Nah it didn't. I think that was a joke.

Ellen was one of the first A100s with the new mid-90s skin. Like dad in the CoP it didn't age well.

She also cost near to a million dollars. And due the the refurb mess in '96 she debued hidden from view behind a plastic rock.
I remember reading how the ride reopened mid refurb and Ellen was behind a rock. It was because Test Track wasn't ready yet, was heavily delayed and they needed it open to take crowds correct?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember reading how the ride reopened mid refurb and Ellen was behind a rock. It was because Test Track wasn't ready yet, was heavily delayed and they needed it open to take crowds correct?
Yes. Back in the day when park capacity mattered.

Horizons was seasonal and Test Track was being installed (though not behind schedule yet). Ellen's film production was behind schedule so the new version couldn't open for the summer crowds, so the old films and audio were put back into the pavilion (minus a lot of effects) and the original UOE reopened for summer 1996. Since the Ellen AA was already installed it was just hidden behind a temporary rock and the Elasmosarus attacked the prop instead.

I covered this in more detail in my edit a few years back

misterID

Yes. Back in the day when park capacity mattered.

Horizons was seasonal and Test Track was being installed (though not behind schedule yet). Ellen's film production was behind schedule so the new version couldn't open for the summer crowds, so the old films and audio were put back into the pavilion (minus a lot of effects) and the original UOE reopened for summer 1996. Since the Ellen AA was already installed it was just hidden behind a temporary rock and the Elasmosarus attacked the prop instead.

I covered this in more detail in my edit a few years back

I just want to say again how awesome Martin's videos are. If anyone hasn't seen them, do yourself a favor and watch them. Especially if you missed out on the golden age of Future World with WOM,Imagination and Horizons... And the Jeremy Irons era SSE.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm on the ride now and I was really surprised to see it was gone.
View attachment 64501 View attachment 64502 View attachment 64503
Is it finally getting fixed?

I hope so. I rode it August 7th and only the thing's mouth was moving. It was pretty sad. In 2010, it was completely stable from what I remember.

It was working in the beginning of August when I was there last...maybe August 5th or 6th?
Definitely working the day after!

Slipknot

From what I've heard, the AA did not have any problems but the mechanism that made it move closer to and further from Ellen that it is set on. They probably removed it to get to and fix the mechanism quicker than with it in the way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom