Snake Bite

fillerup

Original Poster
I have no interest in being alarmist since this is a very rare occurrence, but the story simply points out that unpleasant interactions with wildlife can occur pretty much anywhere.

Orlando Sentinel 10/6

Rhode Island man bitten by snake at Marriott

A 45-year-old Rhode Island man was bitten by a cottonmouth water moccasin, a poisonous snake, while strolling near the pool at the swanky J.W. Marriott Grande Lakes resort in south Orange County Monday.

Eric Geisman, 45, of Pawtucket, RI, was in the intensive care unit at the Dr. P. Phillips Hospital, formerly Orlando Regional Sand Lake Hospital.

A hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday evening that he was stable.

Full Story

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
I saw what someone called a cotton mouth snake, and I have a picture of a copper head both seen (by me) at magic kingdom swimming in the water by the castle. It is easy to let our guards down while at WDW or on vacation. But, the reality is wildlife is everywhere whether it bird, alligator, or snake and we have to be careful.

Sad story none-the-less. Cotton-mouths are nasty nasty nasty snakes. Hope is recovers successfully!

Nemo14

It was interesting reading trhe report here in RI. Apparently the man and his wife had seen a baby alligator in that area before, and were looking around to see if they could see it again. They described the area as the "headwaters for the Everglades", hence the wildlife. Apparently the writer has either never been to FL, or is totally oblivious to the fact that any body of water in Florida is probably home to a few gators and snakes.

Still hope for a complete and speedy recovery for this poor guy.

Disneybird

We were at the Wilderness Lodge last month and my stepfather saw an alligator about 18 inches long in the little pond between the lodge and Bay Lake.

CP_alum08

During my CP I saw some small gators in the 'river' behind our apartment. Though I've never seen anything in WDW.

DABIGCHEEZ

Check out the lake/pond across from Kidani Village... we saw 2 gators (guessing 5-6 ft) out in the middle of the lake in August while staying there. We have seen them at alot of places in WDW over the years though. Seen snakes on property as well though thankfully never a water moccassin.

bestnate

really crazy, a poisonous snake at Marriott ... who would have thought that. Hope the man gets well soon and they could catch the snake. You probably can't prevent accidents like this in FL but maybe the people in charge will be trying to make the tourist spots more safe.

sweetpee_1993

There's a big long thread over on another Disney forum from a lady who's little boy was bitten on the finger by a moccasin at Caribbean Beach. If I remember correctly, it was last year. They had just arrived & headed out to dinner. The little boy was walking on the sidewalk and dropped something into the ground cover. He squatted down on the edge of the sidewalk and reached in to get it when he was bitten on the finger. His father is either military or retired military and knew right away what kind of snake it was. The parents both reacted quickly. The little boy was rushed to the hospital. Spent several days. Looooots of antivenom but he survived and is okay. Scary stuff, tho.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom