Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoarderPhreak

Smoking got 86ed - discuss on page 66ed! 🤣

8706425227_ca4fdb1937_b.jpg

StarWarsGirl

I'm still curious if the baby care centers are all at the front of the park. Stinky wet babies are subject to be stinky and wet until they get near the entrance, if that's the case. I only had my nieces and nephews, and it was their Florida grandmother that took them to the park, so I don't know, but if it's true that there's not care stations though out the park, this really bothers me.
I can wait to smoke, but anyone try to sit for an hour in pee-zy pants? No.
MK - over near Crystal Palace
Epcot - in the Odyssey building
DHS - Near entrance
AK - Over near Creature Comforts (Starbucks)

Of course, there's changing tables in all of the restrooms. The baby care centers carry extra supplies for purchase and have more privacy, if needed.

StarWarsGirl

Why are you quoting me?

- I said cancer or die prematurely because I was responding to another member who talked about getting cancer from secondhand smoke. I never said asthma.

- I said in a designated area. And you're also saying smoking areas should be in a designated area.

So... ???

---

Secondly; why in God's name are people still having a discussion in this thread? What else could possibly be said?
From the CDC...
Secondhand Smoke Causes Lung Cancer
Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in adults who have never smoked.4

• Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20–30%.2
  • Secondhand smoke causes more than 7,300 lung cancer deaths among U.S. nonsmokers each year.4
  • Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke are inhaling many of the same cancer-causing substances and poisons as smokers.2,3,4
  • Even brief secondhand smoke exposure can damage cells in ways that set the cancer process in motion.4
  • As with active smoking, the longer the duration and the higher the level of exposure to secondhand smoke, the greater the risk of developing lung cancer.4...
Further...
Secondhand Smoke Causes Cardiovascular Disease
Exposure to secondhand smoke has immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and can cause coronary heart disease and stroke.2,4,5

• Secondhand smoke causes nearly 34,000 premature deaths from heart disease each year in the United States among nonsmokers.4
  • Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25–30%.1
  • Secondhand smoke increases the risk for stroke by 20−30%.4
  • Secondhand smoke exposure causes more than 8,000 deaths from stroke annually.4
In case anyone here still disputes the effects of secondhand smoke.

andysol

Maybe I'm quoting you because I'm responding to you what you said. I'm just pointing out that there are other ways to die from secondhand smoke besides cancer.
Oh good grief. No one has died by simply walking by a smoking area. Of the 20-40mil guests a year that WDW sees, why don't you give me a single example of such a death occurring. I'll wait.

I didn't know that others who recently had a chance to comment on this thread weren't supposed to because you deem it old news. You could try unfollowing it if it annoys you.
I was unfollowed. You... quoted me.

From the CDC...

• Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20–30%.2
  • Secondhand smoke causes more than 7,300 lung cancer deaths among U.S. nonsmokers each year.4
  • Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke are inhaling many of the same cancer-causing substances and poisons as smokers.2,3,4
  • Even brief secondhand smoke exposure can damage cells in ways that set the cancer process in motion.4
  • As with active smoking, the longer the duration and the higher the level of exposure to secondhand smoke, the greater the risk of developing lung cancer.4...
Further...
Exposure to secondhand smoke has immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and can cause coronary heart disease and stroke.2,4,5

• Secondhand smoke causes nearly 34,000 premature deaths from heart disease each year in the United States among nonsmokers.4
  • Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25–30%.1
  • Secondhand smoke exposure causes more than 8,000 deaths from stroke annually.4
What in the world does this have to do with someone dying from walking by a smoking area?

So much reaching...

StarWarsGirl

Nope, but walking next to smokers is enough to trigger an asthma attack. And some of my attacks can be pretty bad - plus, I react poorly to the inhalers, which mess up my blood pressure and heart arrhythmia. But it's not like I have a choice to not take my inhaler, when I can't avoid my triggers. That's why the smoking areas need to be away from the common path and smokers and vapers need to respect that area. WDW is a place where people with all types of health conditions vacation and you never know what consequence your actions could have on someone else. It's just a matter of being considerate and respectful. My own mother was NOT a considerate smoker before she quit either LOL.
I feel ya on the inhaler thing. I use a nebulizer, and every time I use it, I need about ten minutes of chill time after it's done so I can stop shaking.

Have you asked your doctor about alternatives to Albuterol? I have an inhaler that is technically a maintenance medication but I use as a rescue for when Albuterol is not enough. There's also other alternatives, though insurance can be stubborn about them.

I'm glad for the same reason. Happens all to often that I accidentally walk by a smoking area and get a whiff, and boom, have to use the inhaler.

StarWarsGirl

LOL... Not sure what the point of this was, but walking past a smoking section for 30s won't net you any of those effects. 🙄
The point is that if there's even a risk, it's not fair to the rest of the general population to put them at risk.

And unfortunately, the way the smoking areas were placed, unless you actively avoided them, you could be exposed multiple times a day. Not just for thirty seconds once a trip.

andysol

The point is that if there's even a risk, it's not fair to the rest of the general population to put them at risk.
There's a risk to absolutely everything for someone. People are allergic to Carrots and Apples for heaven's sake. Or the scents in the bathrooms. Society and Disney doesn't need to look out for the .000000001%. The .000000001% needs to look out for themselves.

If you're risking death because you are exposed to second hand smoke for mere seconds in an open-air environment, then quite possibly, Disney World isn't the place for you. In fact, I don't know how you're alive today to tell your story.

Patcheslee

From the CDC...

Further...

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Ya know, I have to comment.... so many posts here, pro and con. And the odd thing is that everyone wants the SAME thing:
A DSA, AWAY from Public Traffic.

What's odd? WDW had already achieved this, about APR 2018. MK got rid of the places that even those who smoke hated (we did). And created two decent locations at the far ends of the MK. By NOV 2018? They were even IMPROVING the Tomorowland Location.

HS - isolated in park locations, away from the public.

EPCOT - same.

I'm still trying to figure out why this whole thing suddenly became necessary. It's rare for a corporation to go to these extremes over a problem that has already been SOLVED :(.

LeighM

I feel ya on the inhaler thing. I use a nebulizer, and every time I use it, I need about ten minutes of chill time after it's done so I can stop shaking.

Have you asked your doctor about alternatives to Albuterol? I have an inhaler that is technically a maintenance medication but I use as a rescue for when Albuterol is not enough. There's also other alternatives, though insurance can be stubborn about them.

I'm glad for the same reason. Happens all to often that I accidentally walk by a smoking area and get a whiff, and boom, have to use the inhaler.

Oh I can't take albuterol at all. I can barely tolerate levalbuterol, which the insurance company always tries to fight me over because it's not the cheaper albuterol. But that's a rant for another day and another message board LOL.

BoarderPhreak

If this is someone's breaking point then they don't go. You don't say "I've reached my breaking point so the rules don't apply to me anymore".
There's a hole in your theory. What if they find out after they get there? Then they're just p*ssed and do it out of spite, if nothing else.

And unfortunately, the way the smoking areas were placed, unless you actively avoided them, you could be exposed multiple times a day. Not just for thirty seconds once a trip.
LOL... Do you wear a gas mask in the real world? 🤷‍♂️

Because out there, you have ZERO control over... Smokers. Vapers. Restaurants. Cell phones. Wifi. High tension wires. Superfund sites and tainted groundwater. Planes, trains and automobiles. Industry. Farming. Shipping. Campfires. Wildfires. Foreign countries... WDW is not a clean room bubble either. The parks are literally surrounded by CM smoking areas.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Ya know, I have to comment.... so many posts here, pro and con. And the odd thing is that everyone wants the SAME thing:
A DSA, AWAY from Public Traffic.

What's odd? WDW had already achieved this, about APR 2018. MK got rid of the places that even those who smoke hated (we did). And created two decent locations at the far ends of the MK. By NOV 2018? They were even IMPROVING the Tomorowland Location.

HS - isolated in park locations, away from the public.

EPCOT - same.

I'm still trying to figure out why this whole thing suddenly became necessary. It's rare for a corporation to go to these extremes over a problem that has already been SOLVED :(.
Because.. that’s human nature. When people see something they agree with they go all in. Look at politics, can’t change either sides mind. No one listens anymore it’s just trying to talk over the person you seem to disagree with. I know, I know, this is about secondhand smoke and the rights of people not to have to smell it. I get it. Like you said it was taken care of before but...
I vape, smoked for 30 years. I don’t like being in the smoking area because of the same reasons most people have here. Been there done that and don’t want to smell it anymore. But that’s where I go when I want to vape.
If people here knew that every non smoking room, not only at Disney but around the world has been vaped in, they would flip. Ok, now they know. Smoke alarm won’t go off, it’s water vapor. It dissipates in less then a minute and leaves no smell or residue. No worries people, it’s not harmful. If your wondering, I don’t. I vape when we leave our room and go to the smoking area. Just don’t kid yourself, it has happened in every room over and over.
Nicotine does not cause cancer. It’s like caffeine, a addictive drug, that’s it. It’s the 3000 plus chemicals that when burned creates the tar. Reputable ecig juices have 3 ingredients, 4 if you add nicotine. All 3 are in our foods that everyone here consumes. Sorry about this last paragraph but there’s a lot of misinformation being tossed around. I’m off my soapbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom