Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallica

Because it impairs people - plain and simple. Maybe they have higher objections to it as well. Maybe they don't want to deal with guest A complaining about guest B. It becomes another dimension they need to police.. which isn't that easy to do.
So does alcohol and it causes more disruption and violence in society than marijuana. We all have experienced mean drunks, angry drunks, and excessively loud drunks. People high on marijuana are generally mellow and easy going, yes there are exceptions. Wacky tobacky has been helping people "let it go" long before Elsa was singing about it!.:happy:

tallica

Marijuana is just as smelly as tobacco. I personally find that skunk smell horrendous. I don't want to smell it. Cast members shouldn't have to deal with stoned people. Frankly, I shouldn't have to deal with stoned people either. Or drunk people, for that matter.
not advocating for its use on property, just saying its potential use most likely had nothing to do with decision to ban smoking. If not for the smell most people would not notice the difference between a stoned individual and one enjoying the natural high that a lot of us get just being at the World.

jklakeview

The locations of the smoking areas aren't the smokers' fault though...that's all on Disney. They don't really give a squat...this is just a big PR move that's going to blow up in their faces when the rule breakers just start lighting up everywhere.
I understand they didn’t choose it. I was just telling the person that said that they never were bothered by a smoking area and can just avoid them. I simply said that some are unavoidable

LittleBuford

My dad worked in the aviation business for nearly 40 years. Smoking was initially prohibited during takeoff and landing.

I find it amusing how planes still have the no-smoking light. I remember how my parents (and all the other smokers) would immediately light up as soon as that light went off.

LittleBuford

I think it's a legal term used that way.

I looked into it more, and it is a recent usage that is not (yet) considered standard, whether in normal or legal discourse:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I agree that no one will be trespassed for smoking, just as no one is trespassed for wearing an offensive t-shirt or other inappropriate clothing. No, wait.
That is untrue. I was asked to either return to my hotel or turn my t-shirt inside out when i (in my younger days) wore an "offensive" t-shirt to the magic kimgdom. I chose the second option and went straight to the emporium to by a disney T.
Does it always get enforced ? Not always. But there is enforcement there.

Da Bird is Da Word

I quit smoking cold-turkey 11 months ago and haven’t looked back. My girlfriend, however, is still hooked. I’m taking her to Disney for her first time in September, and she gets cranky after a while if she can’t fit a smoke break in. 🙁

Does anyone know if this policy applies to e-cigarettes? Not the powerful ‘vapes’ that emit thick, cloudy vapors, but the little starter pens whose thin, barely perceptible vapors dissipate almost immediately after being exhaled. I can’t imagine those would pose much of a problem (especially in an outdoors environment), but it seems these are being lumped together in all manner of smoking bans as of late. Clarification on this would be much appreciated.

peter11435

I quit smoking cold-turkey 11 months ago and haven’t looked back. My girlfriend, however, is still hooked. I’m taking her to Disney for her first time in September, and she gets cranky after a while if she can’t fit a smoke break in. 🙁

Does anyone know if this policy applies to e-cigarettes? Not the powerful ‘vapes’ that emit thick, cloudy vapors, but the little starter pens whose thin, barely perceptible vapors dissipate almost immediately after being exhaled. I can’t imagine those would pose much of a problem (especially in an outdoors environment), but it seems these are being lumped together in all manner of smoking bans as of late. Clarification on this would be much appreciated.

They have previously only been allowed in designated smoking areas. Since those will no longer be available in the parks, the logical conclusions is that e-cigarette use will not be allowed in the parks.

Da Bird is Da Word

They have previously only been allowed in designated smoking areas. Since those will no longer be available in the parks, the logical conclusions is that e-cigarette use will not be allowed in the parks.

Hm, ok. Do you think security will make a fuss if they see a small e-cig in my lady’s purse? It’s something she could, most likely, discreetly puff on from time to time while walking through the park (not while waiting in lines or when indoors or anything) and not draw much, if any attention to herself. As long as it’s not a big huge deal getting in the gate, I figure we’ll test our luck. 🤷‍♂️

ImperfectPixie

Hm, ok. Do you think security will make a fuss if they see a small e-cig in my lady’s purse? It’s something she could, most likely, discreetly puff on from time to time while walking through the park (not while waiting in lines or when indoors or anything) and not draw much, if any attention to herself. As long as it’s not a big huge deal getting in the gate, I figure we’ll test our luck. 🤷‍♂️
E-cigs ARE included in the ban. They were listed in the images/e-mail sent to TAs. I highly doubt they're going to make a big deal of any smoking materials at the gate aside from "please be aware the only remaining smoking area is outside the gate".

MaryJaneP

A quick linguistic tangent: I’ve never before heard “trespass” used in this way, and such a sense is absent from the dictionaries I just checked. Am I alone in being puzzled?

As we understand it, the term "trespassed" is used to describe the process by which Disney issues a prohibition to visit their property at any time. Therefore, if a "trespassed" person is caught on property, they are "trespassing" since they have been told they are prohibited from the property and could face prosecution.

Also, our understanding is that e-cigs are banned as well as cigs themselves. Are nicotine patches and/or nicotine gum also prohibited?

ImperfectPixie

As we understand it, the term "trespassed" is used to describe the process by which Disney issues a prohibition to visit their property at any time. Therefore, if a "trespassed" person is caught on property, they are "trespassing" since they have been told they are prohibited from the property and could face prosecution.

Also, our understanding is that e-cigs are banned as well as cigs themselves. Are nicotine patches and/or nicotine gum also prohibited?
I don't see how they could ban those - they aren't actually smoking materials, just a means of ingesting nicotine.

peter11435

You will be allowed to bring it in the park just like you will be allowed to bring cigarettes in the park. Using it the park no matter how descritly will be breaking the rules.

LittleBuford

Therefore, if a "trespassed" person is caught on property, they are "trespassing" since they have been told they are prohibited from the property and could face prosecution.

The bolded is the standard sense, and the one with which I’m familiar. The new (nonstandard) meaning is that of removing someone who is guilty of trespassing (“He was trespassed by security for smoking in the park”). The link I provided in an earlier post goes into some detail on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom