Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kman101

Totally understand that. I think the thing for me is while its not really something that can easily enforced, they have created a policy in which its totally within their right to kick out or refuse people in the parks if they so choose to smoke or bring in cigs/cigars, etc.

Absolutely.

But will they? Is the ultimate question. I have my doubts but I'd love to be proven wrong. Like I said, are they going to confiscate the stuff? Will security see a pack of cigs and tell them to leave them in the car or back in the room? Will castmembers actually do something if someone tells them of smokers in the park? Are they empowered to do so? Guess we will see when the ban goes into effect May 1st. I'm sure they'll be a little more lenient at first. Not every guest will recognize, or want to recognize, the ban inside the park ... so it should be interesting to see play out.

And while having smoking sections isn't the same as banning it inside the parks, they did "discourage it" anywhere but the sections, yet didn't really enforce it. So that's the only reason I'm questioning how or if they can and will (and in theory, banning it SHOULD make it without question enforced by CMs and Security, but they like to avoid confrontation and "problems"). Again, should be interesting to watch play out. It could go entirely smoothly. Always fun to wonder how it'll shake out, lol

ABQ

Absolutely.

But will they? Is the ultimate question. I have my doubts but I'd love to be proven wrong. Like I said, are they going to confiscate the stuff? Will security see a pack of cigs and tell them to leave them in the car or back in the room? Will castmembers actually do something if someone tells them of smokers in the park? Are they empowered to do so? Guess we will see when the ban goes into effect May 1st. I'm sure they'll be a little more lenient at first. Not every guest will recognize, or want to recognize, the ban inside the park ... so it should be interesting to see play out.
I have to think there will be heavy signage about the non smoking parks at entrances, initially at least. Just like these signs a few year's back.
Magic-Kingdom_Full_24548.jpg

Kman101

I have to think there will be heavy signage about the non smoking parks at entrances, initially at least. Just like these signs a few year's back.
Magic-Kingdom_Full_24548.jpg

They really should. I'm mostly curious about what security does if they see a vape pen or cigarettes. Will it be like the selfie stick or other things banned where they tell you to 'get rid of it' (by taking it back to your car, etc.)? I know it will be answered, but I don't think it's wrong to wonder just how enforced it may or may not be.

Let's also not forget the thousands of guests who literally do next to no research .. lol

BoarderPhreak

They really should. I'm mostly curious about what security does if they see a vape pen or cigarettes. Will it be like the selfie stick or other things banned where they tell you to 'get rid of it' (by taking it back to your car, etc.)? I know it will be answered, but I don't think it's wrong to wonder just how enforced it may or may not be...
We actually discussed this a bunch of pages ago... They won't be confiscating anything, and enforcement will amount to nothing more than, "you can't smoke here" by a CM.

Cesar R M

I'm thankful the smoking is going to get completely banned from all parks.
Why? because a lot of people DIDNT CARE and were literally smoking while going around in the park areas and not in the specific areas for that.
To make thing worse.. Started to see a huge uphill of those vapers with their obnoxious amounts of smoke (aka "look at me, I vape!" crowd ).

We actually discussed this a bunch of pages ago... They won't be confiscating anything, and enforcement will amount to nothing more than, "you can't smoke here" by a CM.

If this is true, then the ban will be useless. Because unlike selfie sticks (where they will stop the rides to ask you to remove or get rid of the stick) You can quickly smoke, dip the cigar or vape out.. and claim you did nothing wrong just to later start smoking elsewhere.

jaklgreen

I said it on the Facebook page and on other Disney group pages: if you can't go a day without lighting up, it's time to admit you have a problem.

I've actually seen people post that they won't go anymore and these were people with kids and families. So you mean to tell me that your precious cancer is more important than making memories with your loved ones? That's sad.

It is really sad. I have been thinking about this all night(I work at 3am). I have seen posts with people saying that they are cancelling their trips, are "done" with Disney, selling their DVC, etc. And I just kept thinking, how sad is it that these people are so addicted to something that it is running their life for them. That the need to smoke so many cigarettes a day is the deciding factor on whether or not to go on vacation to WDW with your family. The real villains are not the non-smokers who are happy about not having smoking in the parks, it is the addiction that is ruling people's lives.

BoarderPhreak

Who's got a light? 🤣

...If this is true, then the ban will be useless. Because unlike selfie sticks (where they will stop the rides to ask you to remove or get rid of the stick) You can quickly smoke, dip the cigar or vape out.. and claim you did nothing wrong just to later start smoking elsewhere.
I direct your attention to Exhibit A. But yes, that's basically it in a nutshell. 👍

Last edited:

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
It is really sad. I have been thinking about this all night(I work at 3am). I have seen posts with people saying that they are cancelling their trips, are "done" with Disney, selling their DVC, etc. And I just kept thinking, how sad is it that these people are so addicted to something that it is running their life for them. That the need to smoke so many cigarettes a day is the deciding factor on whether or not to go on vacation to WDW with your family. The real villains are not the non-smokers who are happy about not having smoking in the parks, it is the addiction that is ruling people's lives.
And maybe in someway the lack of empathy and down right rudeness shone not only on this site but in public as well, if you kick a dog it will either bite and get defensive or run away

jaklgreen

I dig what you're saying. I should have stated that I wasn't a hardcore smoker and I only smoked for a handful of years, maybe 5 or 6. I just can't imagine someone putting their family on the backburner because they can't go without their smokes.

I am a child of smokers. Growing up we did not go to WDW but did road trips to Wisconsin Dells. I don't remember most of the events of our trips because I was young, but I do remember that we spent and good deal of time waiting for our parents to have their smoke break. I was talking to my co-worker today about this thread and we got to talking about our childhoods. She experienced that same thing. Her memories where of her step dad always having to smoke. Kids remember things like that, especially if in their mind they are thinking that they could be going on a ride or doing something fun but are waiting around while their parents are smoking. It is not a huge issue, just a thought.

Tanna Eros

I didnt read everything. As a smoker I barley smoked in the park. With that being said, the thoughts of cigarette butts everywhere disgust me. I think they should leave random areas for smoking. But I guess CMS picking up butts now is a better solution. I honestly don't care your there for the fun of the parks, but I feel the backlash of some smokers will be worse then if they just kept it the same
I carry a small Altoid tin for the leftover butts. I completely agree with you. It's miserable to see filters strewn about.
I can deal with an outside gate, for like you, I barely smoke in parks- there's too much going on, but going over other posts in the general forum, the topic of crowds comes up time and time again, and now I'm left wondering if a trip to the park is a good idea for me.
(My husband wants to spend the whole week at Fort Wilderness, but I don't know if that's allowed.)

draybook

If by "verified" you mean Disney said so, no - nor will they. But see above; it was in the Orlando Sentinel. Roving security teams - for smoking? Really?

Well, yeah. Security is there to enforce rules. No smoking is a rule. Why do you seem surprised? Matter of fact, I remember a few years ago we used to see security roaming the parks. Then it seemed to stop, not sure why.

Edited to add: if the magic is ruined for you guys at seeing security roaming the park, you must suffer true heartbreak upon entering the parks.

jaklgreen

And maybe in someway the lack of empathy and down right rudeness shone not only on this site but in public as well, if you kick a dog it will either bite and get defensive or run away

Of course there are those who are die hard on both side. And I think the majority of us have empathy, but having empathy does not mean that people do not have valid points. I have personally seen both sides of this issue. But I can tell you that the considerate smokers that smoked in the designated areas were not the problem. It was those who smoked/vaped wherever they pleased and told people to go pound sand if asked to stop that ruined it for the others. Consideration and respect go both ways. It is not just the smokers that are being "kicked".

BoarderPhreak

Well, yeah. Security is there to enforce rules. No smoking is a rule. Why do you seem surprised? Matter of fact, I remember a few years ago we used to see security roaming the parks. Then it seemed to stop, not sure why.
Yeah, that's not happening. They were there a few years ago likely the result of (terrorist) events overseas. A brief ramp-up.

Tanna Eros

I would think not, They obviously are trying to get it away from public areas. I would think that smokers are going to inconvenienced a little and have to move to a location X amount of feet away from the entrances where no one else has a reason to go
And I'd be happy with that. I like my spaces FAR AWAY. The local amusement park by me used to have the smoke sections literally on the walkway, or in the middle of the thoroughfare. No, thank you.
Now they are alcoved away, you walk a bit to get there. That's what I like.

Kman101

Who's trying to make non smokers out to be villains? Empathy isn't hard. But yes it is sad to hear addiction would actually cause them to cancel their trips and sell their DVC. Odds are, none of them will ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom