Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle Cake Apologist

I'm sorry I can't have compassion for someone that is smoking. I really think just obey the rules and smoke outside the park far enough away from the entrance. But I'm pretty black and white and I am also the type of person that has made a manager of a restaurant make smokers move away from the door outside. I think its simple that smokers should follow the laws/rules put in place and maybe smokers should be a little more compassionate and respectful towards non-smokers.

I was referring more to your statement that somebody could be self-harming next to you and you wouldn't care unless they were getting blood on you. Seemed incredibly insensitive, that's all.

I don't even smoke, so I don't really have a horse in this race. If legal adults want to do legal things in an area that doesn't affect me... then it doesn't affect me. Simple as that. You may think this is a good thing. As a former Cast Member, I can assure you that it's not. Smokers already smoke wherever they want in the parks, getting rid of the few places that they were actually allowed to do it is just going to make it worse.

And I'm laughing so hard at the fact that people are actually in here expecting that Disney will trespass people caught smoking in the parks. That is absolutely not going to happen and it's ludicrous to think so. The average CM does not make enough to confront a guest who is smoking. I have personally been spat on trying to get one to move to the designated area. After that, I didn't care anymore. Not worth it.

Last edited:

Kman101

The only reason I would see for Disney to make this rule is if they get a lot of complaints from guests who smell or dislike the smokers in the parks. I'm sure some will ignore the rules. I'm sure Disney will struggle to enforce it. I'm sure some CMs will get screamed at. I'm sure some CMs will turn a blind eye.

However, I do wonder if all of the moves toward no smoking are, at their core, about lawsuits now that studies have shown that not only second-hand smoke but also third-hand smoke can be hazardous to one's health.

Like most decisions, it's not usually just one common factor. Lots of different factors seem to have come into play with their recent decisions.

Yikes, this thread has spun out of control. This is a simple one folks, smoking is out. Nothing to argue here, its common sense.

For me. I wasn't arguing. Just stating, as Tom Bricker better put it, this is a good move, it is, but it's not going to be enforced and it's going to cause people to light up wherever they want. It's not wishful thinking for me that they should keep a smoking section in the land. But they don't agree. It is what it is. We'll see. It's just easier to contain it than try and control it everywhere, which they don't and can't. Serious question: are they going to confiscate cigarettes and vaping pens? Will, like a selfie stick, would you be told not to bring it in? Would you have to take it back to the car or abandon it? Any of you think they'll do any of this? I don't. My personal feelings aren't in any of this. And again, they aren't removing the smoking sections for "the good of everyone" ... and again, it's not a defense to keep the smoking sections, but I don't think you guys realize that smoking is still socially acceptable in other countries. And just because smoking is banned in a lot of spots, and smoking is down, it's not 'dead' by any means. All I was trying to do was state some truth and suggest it's more of a mistake to not try and contain it. Tom Bricker said it better than I did (. You can cheer and celebrate but I promise you it's going to remain a problem. Just the truth. They really are better off keeping a smoking section inside each of the parks. But I applaud them for trying.

Read Tom's post. That's all, for me, I'm trying to get at. I think people are short sighted in their celebrating ...

Tom's post on his website: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/oversized-strollers-smoking-banned-disney-world-disneyland/

Last edited:

Kman101

I'm sorry I can't have compassion for someone that is smoking. I really think just obey the rules and smoke outside the park far enough away from the entrance. But I'm pretty black and white and I am also the type of person that has made a manager of a restaurant make smokers move away from the door outside. I think its simple that smokers should follow the laws/rules put in place and maybe smokers should be a little more compassionate and respectful towards non-smokers.

There could be more respect from both sides ;) (and just a note ... life is more grey than black and white ... not very hard to be a little more considerate whether you like what they're doing or not, and the same goes for the smoker, be considerate, and follow the rules ... yet most sadly don't. I said it before, but I had been in Manhattan and NY has rules about smoking, yet people just walked the streets with a cigarette, and trust, you could smell the marijuana as well ... and people smoking right in front of large "NO SMOKING" signs in front of hotels ... you don't think that will happen here? It already does ...)

I absolutely agree many smokers don't care. But there are many who do. When I smoked, and I did, I always felt the "stigma" of it. It's fun to be judged ;) but I always say, don't judge anyone until you walk in their shoes. Maybe I'm just TOO thoughtful? I also wouldn't blow smoke out the car window near someone on a motorcycle. It's about respect, and for me, I showed it. I see no harm in offering a smoking section in an outdoor based theme park. They are there to contain the problem. But I do agree they had them in really poor spots (and I think it was on purpose so they could get to this point). However, in many cases, they could have handled it better. And I see no problem having a section near the entrance. Now watch them put it where everyone walks by again ...

I do agree they should follow the rules. Most do. It's the few who don't that ruin it for everybody, like everything in life, there's always "those few ..."

It's very easy to have an opinion on these sorts of things when you aren't a smoker/non-smoker. It's so easy to say "why are you doing this; why can't you quit ...". (EDIT: And I honestly can't answer why I started. I was someone who swore up and down I'd never smoke. It was gross and disgusting. Stinky. I hated my mom smokes. But yet, here I was, puffing away. It happens)

I think this was a no win in some ways. And some see it as win. We shall see.

It's a shame so many lack empathy (on BOTH sides).

I understand many are coming from a good place and wanting someone to be healthy. But it's their body and their life. And if they aren't hurting you (yes, I'm very much aware of what second hand smoke can do ...), let them be. But Disney made it so they WOULD bother you ;)

And shout out to the vaper I saw at Disney Springs two weeks ago who hid in the corner ;) (unless they confiscate your stuff, this will continue to happen, just now with cigarettes and "cigarettes", if you know what I mean ...)

EDIT: And also wanted to point out what many people may not recognize. Someone smoking is basically immune to the smell. They really don't, in most cases, realize their clothes stink. I was shocked when I smoked because I didn't at all. But I sure noticed it when I didn't. Some really aren't aware how much it may bother you ;) and last I checked, smoking cigarettes wasn't illegal so the right exists to do it and humans have rights, it's fair to ask for a smoking section. But of course, as private property, Disney has every right to ban smoking :) (I just truly see it leading to more problems than it's worth but time will tell, I suppose. I'm there way more than some of you, I see things ... lol)

Anyway. Sorry it's long, but I have the perspective as a smoker and a non-smoker.

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

Smokers be rollin' into WDW all like...

JohnByers

maxpower21

Somewhat comparative to what will likely happen. I work for a large Healthcare organization that banned any tobacco on premises. This extends to the Corporate campus where I work, to smoke you have to either take a 10 minute walk to get off property or drive off in your car. The few individuals that do smoke just end up using there lunch break to drive off property to indulge. Of course in that scenario everyone worried that now you have employees will be absent for 20+ minutes several times a day, in reality those employees either cut down or moved on.

I believe you will find most people just designating lunch breaks to leave the park.

Kman101

Or that's just the number of smokers who actually admit to smoking on reports and don't withhold the truth for their health insurance premiums...

I'm not a smoker, just saying I wouldn't trust those numbers as 100% accurate

Yep. Many don't admit to smoking.

It is on the "decline" but not as much as folks think. Just because it's no longer really advertised or glamorized (and Disney can edit out cigarettes all they want, you can't pretend it still doesn't exist but I understand "glamorizing" it, which WAS a problem) ... it still exists ... and now in different forms. But I can understand how some are in a smoke free bubble and don't realize it still is very much 'a thing'. I admit I fell into the same "no one smokes anymore!!" but that's just not the case ...

UncleMike101

I don't care for the bile of hatred some extreme views spew. It's never made sense for people to go on attack mode when that only causes others to not listen.
Smoking is a hot button issue and those people who see it as their God given duty to correct other peoples "wrongthink" become positively apoplectic when the miscreants who don't adhere to their position refuse to give in and grovel to their wisdom.
As I've said before I was a long time smoker.
I quit eight years ago.
I still get wired up when the self righteous types spit on others who don't adhere to their idea of propriety.
George Orwell is proven to be accurate by those types.

Raineman

Apologies if someone else has brought this up (didn't really feel like reading all 776 posts), but for the posters on here who have mentioned something along the lines of "These smokers are going to get angry and violent and make things worse if they can't have a puff!" I have a hard time imagining that there are smokers out there who did not know how addictive nicotine is when they started smoking, and the effects that withdrawal from nicotine can have on the mood and demeanor of someone who is addicted to nicotine. They made the choice to start smoking and to assume the addiction that comes with it-this isn't a case of getting addicted to prescription meds that they were given to help with pain, this is a choice. If they cause issues by getting angry at a theme park because they can't get their nic fix, then the management of said theme park is well within their rights to reprimand or remove them from that theme park if smoking is not allowed. My DW is a long time smoker, but she has no issues with not being able to smoke at WDW.

draybook

I said it on the Facebook page and on other Disney group pages: if you can't go a day without lighting up, it's time to admit you have a problem.

I've actually seen people post that they won't go anymore and these were people with kids and families. So you mean to tell me that your precious cancer is more important than making memories with your loved ones? That's sad.

jklakeview

I was referring more to your statement that somebody could be self-harming next to you and you wouldn't care unless they were getting blood on you. Seemed incredibly insensitive, that's all.
You and I were reading what I wrote differently. I probably didn't write it as clearly as I should have. I meant that people would not know if someone was committing self-injurious behaviors and therefore would not care but if it started to become very public and involving you and effecting you as well you would care. I don't care if someone smokes, but if they smoke and I have to breathe it or smell it, I start to care. Sorry if you read it the wrong way or I stated my point in a way that was not clear.

Kman101

I said it on the Facebook page and on other Disney group pages: if you can't go a day without lighting up, it's time to admit you have a problem.

I've actually seen people post that they won't go anymore and these were people with kids and families. So you mean to tell me that your precious cancer is more important than making memories with your loved ones? That's sad.

Eh. I think you're a little harsh. IMO. And I'll tell you flat out, most know they have a problem and don't need you to tell them ;) it's none of our "jobs" to tell anyone how to live their life, whether you agree with them sticking a cancer stick in their mouth or not. Judgement and shaming someone won't get them to stop ;)

But yeah, you should be able to go a few hours without lighting up ... :)

Look, I get everyone has an opinion on smoking. I get it wasn't pleasant to walk past it.

DisAl

If someone refuses to go to Disney because they can't smoke, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom