Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

You're bringing up things that detract and don't contribute to the topic at hand. Of course people get addicted to all sorts of things. And guess what?? That's bad. People face all kinds of challenges every day and for some things can be very difficult. But don't go all white knight trying to defend smokers. Yes, there's plenty of "good" smokers who try and stay out of the way and not get their smoke all up in othere people business. And you know what? There are plenty of a*hle smokers that only think of themselves and their needs. I don't hate people that smoke. But it IS disgusting, it IS gross, and it has NO place in WDW. I'm honestly surprised it took them this long to ban smoking inside the parks.
Believe me - there are plenty of us respectful smokers who hate the a-hle smokers as much as you do. I smoke, and even I think it's gross and disgusting, but as you can see in my post above, quitting isn't as easy as just stopping. There's plenty Disney could do to accommodate everyone, they just happened to choose this route. We'll all just have to wait and see how it works out. I have a feeling the number of a-hle smokers in the parks is going to increase dramatically.

BoarderPhreak

You're bringing up things that detract and don't contribute to the topic at hand. Of course people get addicted to all sorts of things. And guess what?? That's bad. People face all kinds of challenges every day and for some things can be very difficult. But don't go all white knight trying to defend smokers. Yes, there's plenty of "good" smokers who try and stay out of the way and not get their smoke all up in othere people business. And you know what? . I don't hate people that smoke. But it IS disgusting, it IS gross, and it has NO place in WDW. I'm honestly surprised it took them this long to ban smoking inside the parks.
They're very much on-topic and supportive of things discussed in this thread. If you'd take a moment to step off your soapbox, you'd realize that.

As for all your adjectives, they are YOUR opinion. You are entitled to them, as mine are. Where I draw the line is you saying they have no place at WDW.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaklgreen

Am I charged up? Sure - always have been when one group tries to force their views upon another. Especially when it's accompanied by uneducated, sanctimonious drivel. People that don't smoke have no idea what it's actually like, and telling smokers they should've made better life choices is just the ultimate hypocrisy.

I totally get what you are saying. On the flip side of things is that you have a right to smoke, that is the choice that you made, that is fine. But others do not want YOUR choice visited on them. That is all people are saying, is that you made that choice to smoke, others did not and should not be subjected to your smoke. I don't see that as unreasonable. It think it gets heated when smokers get offended that others do not want to be around their smoke and seeing it as a personal attack. Plus those that are very blatant about how "it is my right to smoke and I will do it wherever I want" kind of attitude. Like I said, if it was a pill you were taking and it did not affect others, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

FigmentFan82

Believe me - there are plenty of us respectful smokers who hate the a-hle smokers as much as you do. I smoke, and even I think it's gross and disgusting, but as you can see in my post above, quitting isn't as easy as just stopping. There's plenty Disney could do to accommodate everyone, they just happened to choose this route. We'll all just have to wait and see how it works out. I have a feeling the number of a-hle smokers in the parks is going to increase dramatically.
I get it's not an easy thing to quit, and I wish you the best if you go down that route. Smoking has been banned in bars for a very long time now, and we certainly know the bar crowd and smoking crowd can definitely go hand in hand. And I know WDW is a lot bigger of a place than a bar. But hey, if you gotta smoke then you gotta take it outside, and if that's a longer walk than usual, then that's what it's gonna take.

Rogue1138

I totally get what you are saying. On the flip side of things is that you have a right to smoke, that is the choice that you made, that is fine. But others do not want YOUR choice visited on them. That is all people are saying, is that you made that choice to smoke, others did not and should not be subjected to your smoke. I don't see that as unreasonable. It think it gets heated when smokers get offended that others do not want to be around their smoke and seeing it as a personal attack. Plus those that are very blatant about how "it is my right to smoke and I will do it wherever I want" kind of attitude. Like I said, if it was a pill you were taking and it did not affect others, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think most of the smokers on here were content having a little corner away from everyone else. Some of the designated areas were horribly placed, some are fantastically out of the way now. I think people get offended when non-smokers start saying we shouldn't be accommodated at all, that our stuff should be confiscated and thrown away and how we're pretty much horrible people. Most of us responsible smokers DO NOT want to smoke near non-smokers and want people who abuse that to be punished. It's the all or nothing attacks that people get defensive about.

BoarderPhreak

I absolutely get this very reasonable objection to smoking. As I've stated in this very thread, even when I smoked I didn't like that aspect of it, and always tried to be respectful. That's why there WERE smoking areas in the park. But even that isn't enough, apparently. Now they've pushed people literally out of the park.

You thought the scofflaws were bad before? Just wait.

I think most of the smokers on here were content having a little corner away from everyone else. Some of the designated areas were horribly placed, some are fantastically out of the way now. I think people get offended when non-smokers start saying we shouldn't be accommodated at all, that our stuff should be confiscated and thrown away and how we're pretty much horrible people. Most of us responsible smokers DO NOT want to smoke near non-smokers and want people who abuse that to be punished. It's the all or nothing attacks that people get defensive about.
YES! And I wager, most smokers, if given a chance for a little Disney magic and could suddenly be non-smokers, would jump at the chance. But it's not that easy, is it.

ImperfectPixie

My experience (as a smoker) is that the ones who feel entitled to smoke wherever they want are in the minority...but with what Disney has decided to implement, I have a feeling they are soon to become the majority in the Disney parks. If Disney had asked my opinion, I would have said to use some of the empty land around the parks to create long paths that dead-end in a smoking area and put signs at the entrance to the path so non-smokers would know not to enter them.

FigmentFan82

You know what's going to happen? If someone lights up, they'll be asked to put it out or leave. Just like every bar and restaurant in America. You wanna smoke? take it to the parking lot. Been going on for years. I think the smokers will be able to adapt to that.

Rogue1138

You know what's going to happen? If someone lights up, they'll be asked to put it out or leave. Just like every bar and restaurant in America. You wanna smoke? take it to the parking lot. Been going on for years. I think the smokers will be able to adapt to that.

Most of us will adapt. The reason this isn't thought out well is the distance to the park entrance. A bar or restaurant, you can generally walk outside in less than 50 ft. It's going to be a lot of people who won't bother walking a quarter mile or more to go smoke, then walk back in through security and ticketing. Let alone when you're there with other people like family or friends.

durangojim

Most of us will adapt. The reason this isn't thought out well is the distance to the park entrance. A bar or restaurant, you can generally walk outside in less than 50 ft. It's going to be a lot of people who won't bother walking a quarter mile or more to go smoke, then walk back in through security and ticketing. Let alone when you're there with other people like family or friends.
I have a feeling that you're right... initially. If Disney does enforce this, I can see the first six months as being a difficult period, but I believe the word will spread via blogs, family members, friends, travel agents that Disney isn't messing around. It's like many things, at first people are reluctant but if the rule or behavior is enforced eventually the majority of people will comply.

Clamman73

From the Tencennial MK guide....they didn’t even want you bringing food into the Park then...omg the horror...no wonder why I was so skinny in the ‘80s.. (But you could smoke and chill in the hub if you’d like)

aliceismad

But why are people alcoholics/do drugs/get addicted to painkillers/are obese/etc? Our corporate culture is based on making you have addictive personality because it makes money.
This is true. There's also a huge social aspect. Imagine the uproar if alcohol were banned. How many people do you know have "mommy juice" wine glasses, or collect beer caps from all their microbrews, or relax with a drink after work every single night, or go to the bar/club/brewery for socialization? (Or go to Epcot and get wasted because somehow that's a fun night out?) Of course that won't happen because Disney makes $$$$.

Smoking used to be as socially acceptable as alcohol (and probably still is in some places). It's just fallen out of favor because it smells and can affect people around you, not just the smoker (and thus it can cause lawsuits). Alcohol is arguably as bad for you.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I have to say, I don't really understand this decision on Disney's part. I'm not a smoker but I'm not particularly bothered by it either... I'm not sure what this gains them (talking strictly dollars-and-cents).

A bar or a restaurant is a poor comparison IMO because those are small indoor spaces. The smoking areas at WDW parks are outdoors and away from foot traffic, so I'd be very surprised to learn that guest complaints about them are especially significant. This decision seems like it'll **** off smokers and leave non-smokers very minimally better off, as the smoking areas were already easily avoided.

Disney is planning on putting in dance parties in the spaces smoking areas previously occupied. :cautious:

ImperfectPixie

This is true. There's also a huge social aspect. Imagine the uproar if alcohol were banned. How many people do you know have "mommy juice" wine glasses, or collect beer caps from all their microbrews, or relax with a drink after work every single night, or go to the bar/club/brewery for socialization? (Or go to Epcot and get wasted because somehow that's a fun night out?) Of course that won't happen because Disney makes $$$$.

Smoking used to be as socially acceptable as alcohol (and probably still is in some places). It's just fallen out of favor because it smells and can affect people around you, not just the smoker (and thus it can cause lawsuits). Alcohol is arguably as bad for you.
I actually know some moms who go for evening walks with booze for themselves disguised in a sippy cup.

eliza61nyc

The fact that we have vaping, opioid and obesity crises (among many others) in this country says otherwise.

Ever heard of personal stressors or addictive personality? I'm guessing not.

Personal stressors are events or conditions that occur in a person's life that may adversely impact on the individual's or their family's health or wellbeing. A stressor may occur directly, such as personally experiencing a serious illness, or indirectly, such as having a family member with a serious illness.

An addictive personality refers to a particular set of personality traits that make an individual predisposed to developing addictions. This hypothesis states that there may be common personality traits observable in people suffering from addiction.

The difference, at least to me is that cigarette smoking is the one addiction that not only kills the addict but also the person around them. Second hand smoke has been proven just as bad.
If someone has an addictive personality and snorts crack or shoots up, it kills them.
If someone smokes and im inhaling their toxic smoke it harms me.

Alcohol in moderation can actually be good for you. There is no amount of tar and nicotine that is good for you.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thank you for your story and honesty. I really am curious as to why people even start.

Because it was the cool, adult thing to do and your friends did it. Plus, it made your parents mad. All stupid reasons to start, I agree. But 17 year olds aren't known for making wise choices. I smoked, not a lot, but hid it from my parents, even as an adult. And they both smoked.

slappy magoo

I'm wondering if getting caught smoking will be tied together with your Magicband. Meaning, if you're caught smoking, you're "reminded" of the no-smoking policy, they scan your band, and then if you're caught doing it again, scanning the band again proves you were already warned, you can't claim you had no idea there was a no-smoking policy and they can throw you out.

ImperfectPixie

The difference, at least to me is that cigarette smoking is the one addiction that not only kills the addict but also the person around them. Second hand smoke has been proven just as bad.
If someone has an addictive personality and snorts crack or shoots up, it kills them.
If someone smokes and im inhaling their toxic smoke it harms me.
Wait...isn't crack a smoked drug? Also, there are more and more illegal drugs becoming popular that affect the user so much that people are being attacked by drug users. So smoking is far from the only addiction that harms people other than the user.

Forgot alcohol...something Disney actively serves in their parks. Drunken drivers and all.

BoarderPhreak

One thing I'm genuinely curious about. All these people so adverse to those foul smoking heathen and their stench when "walking past smoking areas..."
  1. You know the smoking areas are there, why get so close, and
  2. How are you even getting so close when they're tucked away?
Okay, granted - some spots like Norway are a little close to the path, subject to wind direction, yada yada. I'm talking about the FL/TL walkway. The hidden trail in AK. Heck, even at AKL the smoking area is outside of the front door, way off to the side and hidden behind foliage.

I submit, that if you're smelling smoke from these locations... You have no business being there in the first place. But that's none of my business. <insert tea-sipping frog>

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Ahem, alcohol WAS banned. It was called Prohibition. Which is why we will never see cigarette smoking made illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom