Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

I think most people keep cigarettes in their pockets, so unless they start doing pat downs at the bag check I think even if they chose to go that route they would only find a very small percentage of cigarettes entering the park.
[/QUOTE]
I draw the line at ppl touching me.

beertiki

I'm sorry, but in respect of Disney parks, this is just not true in my experience. In more than 20 visits over recent years, the only person I have seen smoking in a non-designated area is me -- and that was because the designated area I used on my previous visit had been removed and I hadn't thought to check the park map because I had smoked in that location for years. The vast majority of smokers have been diligently following the rules -- which makes this ban seem more like an anti-smoker bias than an attempt to address a problem.

Add another one to the list of - Those rules don't apply to ME!

Rogue1138

Such as the busses? From resorts? Where presumably they should have known about the ban? They also could throw them out. Yes, I know, that will anger people. But I don’t see how Disney plans to enforce this any other way than by refusing people with cigarettes at bag check.

This makes absolutely no sense. The action of smoking will be banned in the theme parks, such as previously that you can't smoke outside of non-designated areas. Doesn't mean people can't be allowed to carry cigarettes. Bars and restaurants didn't make people throw out their packs when that ban hit most areas.

Disney will enforce this exactly like they do now if you're in the wrong area: "Sorry but you can't smoke here."

FigmentFan82

Glad they're banning smoking in the parks. It's a pretty gross habit. Go smoke in the parking lot, in your car, whatever. It doesn't belong in the parks. Holdover from a bygone era when we didn't fully understand how horrible they were for you. If you just absolutely have to have a cigarette every 10 minutes then WDW isn't the place for you.

jaklgreen

🤷‍♂️ And why smokers "hate" non-smokers. It used to be allowed everywhere; on planes, in offices, homes, cars. But now the smokers have been made to feel like outcasts and criminals, only allowed to smoke in neat little boxes. Yet people like you still love to berate them if they step out of line.

Why people started or continue to smoke in and of itself is not your concern.

It is my concern when I can smell it. Like I said in another post, I am extremely allergic to it and so your habit does affect me. I don't care if you smoke in your own personal residence, just not where others are, especially children. Lets's look at it another way. Let's say you all had a peanut smoking fetish and as there are many people, especially children, that are allergic to peanuts. They have already banned them on many flights and in some eating establishments. Do you think that it would be OK to smoke your peanuts around children knowing how it can affect them? You don't think that people's health and safety is more important then your bad habit? Smoke all you want at home, but don't visit your addiction on others. That is what we are saying.

Rogue1138

To be fair, this was clearly an accident. He said the designated spot had been moved.

That happened to me a few years back. They've played musical spots year to year and I was where I thought the location was on the map by France. It was an open space, away from crowds. A CM came and told me I couldn't smoke there, I apologized and asked where the correct location was.

Tanna Eros

Yep, and in back of the day, Physicians used to push cigarettes as medicine..... Not enough time to see the actual damage of vaping.
I'm new, this is my first post
First, I have to say; For the most part, people are being very kind on this forum, and understanding. I registered to say that.
Second, I'm one of those medicinal smokers that you wrote about. When I was a little girl, my family had no money for medicine, so they used the old folk medicine ways, and for asthma, it was smoking, because it relaxed the throat so one could breathe. They did the best they could.
I do smoke, but not in theme parks- not by choice, but by chance. I think the adrenaline of the rides and experiences takes the place of the smoking. I have two emergency cigarettes with me at the local park I attend, and often leave the park at the end of the day with the same two cigarettes.
Third:
I just wrote this to thank all the people that have kind in their comments towards people who smoke.
My mother is overweight, but she loves her desserts. It's bad for her, I know, but I can't be hateful or condescending to her. She's not a second class citizen for not being the idea weight.

I was planning on going to WDW for my 25th anniversary, so I still have time to see how this will work out, and what will be ironed out, as new rules take some time to correct the straggly ends.

TwilightZone

As someone from modern era times, I can say that smoking within younger groups is declining, so a move like this is good for future generations.
The only problem is that vaping is up, so if disney counts vaping as smoking, then there might be some problems.

Calmdownnow

Add another one to the list of - Those rules don't apply to ME!
Really? I just told you that I follow the rules except for one accidental incident and in that instance, the smoke was extinguished as soon as I realized the designated location had moved. And no, I did not drop the butt.

Talking of butts -- it's going to be surreal seeing the smokers standing outside the waterparks in their swimwear...

FigmentFan82

No one forces smokers to start smoking. They make that choice. And when I see a lot of people of my generation (mid 30s) or younger smoking, I have no sympathy because we all grew up in the era of knowledge when it comes to the harmful effects of smoking. And anyone can quit if they really wanted to. But if you choose to smoke, then that's on you. No one cares if your feelings got hurt about not being able to light one up. You chose it. Blame yourself.

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
I think as more states move to complete legalization, the feds will be forced to reclassify pot. But states will regulate as they do alcohol consumption. Disney will see a spike in sales of M&Ms, cupcakes and PLAIN brownies, lol.
just wondering if a private company can ban the use on it's property, my state is bordered by two states that have legalized pot but you can still be fired if you test hot

ImperfectPixie

No one forces smokers to start smoking. They make that choice. And when I see a lot of people of my generation (mid 30s) or younger smoking, I have no sympathy because we all grew up in the era of knowledge when it comes to the harmful effects of smoking. And anyone can quit if they really wanted to. But if you choose to smoke, then that's on you. No one cares if your feelings got hurt about not being able to light one up. You chose it. Blame yourself.
Quitting cigarettes is often cited as being as difficult if not more so than quitting heroin. Just thought I'd let you know.

donaldtoo

When I was a kid growing up in No Cal, out of all the friends we had at the time, all of their parents smoked, but, ours did not.
My pop smoked from 1950 (started in the Army) until quitting shortly before I was born (oldest of 4 sibs) in 1962, and has never smoked again since.
But, other than at home, smoking was everywhere at the time...
Everywhere from even elementary school kids I knew sneakin’ a smoke out behind the portable buildings at recess (no joke), to our Little League baseball coaches (the dugout would be littered with butts after a game), to grocery stores, malls, hospital ERs (I once had an orthopedist put an entire cast on my leg, from my toes to my groin, with a cigarette(s) hanging out of his mouth the whole time), etc. It all just seemed like just a part of everyday life that you never really thought about, back then.
Although I’ve never been a habitual smoker, I have smoked a bit over the years. Usually of the happy hour with coworkers “Hey, can I bum a smoke?!” variety. But, haven’t smoked a cigarette in about 15 years.
At the first firm I worked for, out of 8 people I was the only one who didn’t smoke all day long in that small office. Again, never really thought about it because that’s just the way it was.
Then, a few years later they passed a smoking ban in all public buildings, those who wanted a smoke had to take a break and go outside, if they could. Way less exposure for those us who didn't smoke on a regular basis.
Now, these days, if I smell even the tiniest hint of cigarette smoke I’m like this...

Pretty funny-interesting to see how this has all evolved over the decades of my lifetime, so far.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
just wondering if a private company can ban the use on it's property, my state is bordered by two states that have legalized pot but you can still be fired if you test hot

If they do, I think they will use the Class I designation as rationale.

FigmentFan82

Quitting cigarettes is often cited as being as difficult if not more so than quitting heroin. Just thought I'd let you know.
Difficult? Sure. Impossible? No. One of my close friends quit smoking 7 years ago and hasn't had one since. One of my closest friends OD'd on heroine 5 years ago. Both can kill you, though one may take a little longer. How about, oh, I dunno, don't do either???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom