Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoarderPhreak

Violating the FCIAA...
I'm sorry, show me on the doll where it says "outside at WDW." On property is strictly a private property/civil matter outside of these (indoor) locations.

The Department of Health (DOH) and the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) are responsible for enforcement of the FCIAA. DBPR shall enforce the FCIAA in restaurants, bowling centers, dog tracks, horse tracks, bars, billiards, bingo halls (with food service), and civic/fraternal organizations. DOH shall enforce the FCIAA in all facilities not regulated by DBPR.

And asthma inhalers definitely have a smell as I used one as a child. You arent helping yourself here. Vape juice also has a bunch of other stuff in it as well. But thats not the point of my replies. Vaping has a smell. You can try to say it doesnt, but it does. You think you are hiding it, but I assure you that you are not and people notice.
And you're just not getting it. Inhalers have additional ingredients. As does most (not all) vape juice. But flavors and even nicotine are not a given. If you smell it, then it's probably flavored.

If you're complaining about the smell of asthma inhalers, you have bigger issues.

Last edited:
They're installing a smoking area just outside the gates...where do they expect smokers to put their cigarettes if they used Disney transportation to get the parks? Oh, yeah...they just won't disallow them from being carried.

That's a good point, hadn't thought that through. You are correct, if they are designating areas outside the park, they are going to have to let them bring them in.

Patcheslee

They're installing a smoking area just outside the gates...where do they expect smokers to put their cigarettes if they used Disney transportation to get the parks? Oh, yeah...they just won't disallow them from being carried.
You ever been to a concert and wonder how ppl got a joint in? I'd say some will just say screw it at hide them till they got past the checks.

KBLovedDisney

tenor.gif

Rogue1138

I have to say, I don't really understand this decision on Disney's part. I'm not a smoker but I'm not particularly bothered by it either... I'm not sure what this gains them (talking strictly dollars-and-cents).

A bar or a restaurant is a poor comparison IMO because those are small indoor spaces. The smoking areas at WDW parks are outdoors and away from foot traffic, so I'd be very surprised to learn that guest complaints about them are especially significant. This decision seems like it'll **** off smokers and leave non-smokers very minimally better off, as the smoking areas were already easily avoided.

The problem is there is a good chunk of non-smokers who are offended by the very thought of smoking. So even if the designated areas didn't effect them, I'm sure people still complained that they were "close enough" to civilization. I am super respectful of non-smokers where I try to stand as far away from people, not point/blow smoke in anyone's direction and even try to move out of the way to not bother people but I've still had people walk by me and pretend to cough.

Almac97

Wow. As someone who had a long, yet successful battle with quitting, and was a smoker during a few WDW trips (that path between Barnstormer and SM was my personal heaven... and it was quiet!) I just don't see how this can work. Disney doesn't want confrontation with guests. It not only angers the quest in question, but it catches the attention of surrounding people which kills the mood. Combine that with the cultural differences that other areas of the world have regarding smoking and I can only see 3 possibilities...

1. Have a designated, perhaps well ventilated, areas right outside the park entrances (both of Epcot's) and allow quick re-entry if no bag was taken.
  2. Invest in better "in park" designated areas so that people similar to how I used to be don't use the path behind the TL Speedway and can remain in the park, but completely separated from those who prefer not to smell it on common pathways.
  3. Since smoke rises, and no one really goes on it anyways, just allow smoking in Swiss Family Treehouse :p

I expect a new thread on here called "Disney backtracks May 1st policy starting June 1st"

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm sorry, show me on the doll where it says "outside at WDW." On property is strictly a private property/civil matter.

The Department of Health (DOH) and the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) are responsible for enforcement of the FCIAA. DBPR shall enforce the FCIAA in restaurants, bowling centers, dog tracks, horse tracks, bars, billiards, bingo halls (with food service), and civic/fraternal organizations. DOH shall enforce the FCIAA in all facilities not regulated by DBPR.

I was responding to a post that talked about banning smoking and how that ban is enforced.

Vaping in the workplace was banned by Amendment No. 9 in November. Smoking by individuals under 18 within 1000 feet of public schools is already banned in Florida. Florida Legislature is currently writing implementing law for the Amendment. Language would follow that of tobacco.

ImperfectPixie

Last summer we went to a local theme park that is very busy during the warmer months. Their solution was to build gazebos with fans in the ceilings and disperse them throughout the park (most of which were in heavily trafficked areas). Not once did I hear anyone complaining about smokers, and the gazebos were VERY clean with very few butts on the ground.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Last summer we went to a local theme park that is very busy during the warmer months. Their solution was to build gazebos with fans in the ceilings and disperse them throughout the park (most of which were in heavily trafficked areas). Not once did I hear anyone complaining about smokers, and the gazebos were VERY clean with very few butts on the ground.

That's a great solution.

BoarderPhreak

They have that in AK, but it's a path/gazebo in the trees - so a bit removed.

jaklgreen

Since there are no more designated areas, smokers won't care anymore - they'll light up anywhere they think they can get away with it.

I used to smoke, and tbh - that's what I would do. ;)

This statement right here, shows why so many non smokers hate smokers. Because your addiction takes precedence over everyone else's health and the attitude that you will do whatever you want no matter how it affects others. Non smokers do not hate you on a personal level. They hate having to smell and inhale cigarette smoke. We all know how horrible smoking is for a person and we also know that if it did not bring the government so much money, they would have banned them years ago on health basis, just like other cancer causing chemicals. Frankly I am shocked that anyone under the age of 50 even smokes knowing what they do about how bad they are for you. If someone gave you a pill and told you all of the additives and cancer causing chemicals that were in it and told you that if you take this pill and it will do everything that smoking does to you, no one would take it. Smoking is no different then any other drug, if you don't want to become addicted to it, then don't even start. I doubt someone put a gun to your head to make you start smoking.

bubbles1812

I'm really thrilled with Disney's decision. I hope they enforce it. WDW clientele is a bit different than DLP clientele. I've been to France enough to know that the culture of cigarettes/tobacco use is quite different. The stigma that exists in the US isn't quite there [or at least as much.] So I'm skeptical about this "free for all" that people are predicting. Non smoking places in the US are becoming more common and will continue to be. It really shouldn't be surprising that WDW made this decision considering who they cater to the most. [Yes, I know Disney is for everyone. Doesn't change the fact that tons of children come to their parks.]

I suspect this will go about the same as the majority of Disney rule changes. A majority will follow the rules. There will be some rule breakers. Hopefully, Disney will ask those smokers to leave to go to the designated place. I'll have no problem reporting rule breakers to the nearest CM.

BoarderPhreak

This statement right here, shows why so many non smokers hate smokers. Because your addiction takes precedence over everyone else's health and the attitude that you will do whatever you want no matter how it affects others. Non smokers do not hate you on a personal level. They hate having to smell and inhale cigarette smoke. We all know how horrible smoking is for a person and we also know that if it did not bring the government so much money, they would have banned them years ago on health basis, just like other cancer causing chemicals. Frankly I am shocked that anyone under the age of 50 even smokes knowing what they do about how bad they are for you. If someone gave you a pill and told you all of the additives and cancer causing chemicals that were in it and told you that if you take this pill and it will do everything that smoking does to you, no one would take it. Smoking is no different then any other drug, if you don't want to become addicted to it, then don't even start. I doubt someone put a gun to your head to make you start smoking.
🤷‍♂️ And why smokers "hate" non-smokers. It used to be allowed everywhere; on planes, in offices, homes, cars. But now the smokers have been made to feel like outcasts and criminals, only allowed to smoke in neat little boxes. Yet people like you still love to berate them if they step out of line.

Why people started or continue to smoke in and of itself is not your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom