Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't be able to not permit people from bringing their cigarettes into the parks. Too many rely on Disney transportation and won't be able to stow them in a car.

Easy solution to that. I'm sure there will be notices and advertisement about this all over the World. If they do decide to not let any into the parks, you have been warned, and they can simple tell you it's not allowed in the parks, period. You'll then have the option to being it back to a car/hotel if able, or else into the trash. Just like airports not allowing certain items passed the security checkpoint. There is the rubbish.

Is that fair? Is that something they will actually do? Who knows. But to say they "won't be able to not permit people" isn't true at all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That equates to around 3000 smokers on any given day at the MK...do they really want all those people going in and out of the front gate all day?

Here’s what you need to do: find the stats on average income of smokers in america

Then get the internal data from TWDC on average income of visitors to WDW

...then cross the streams and see what you get.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not perfect...but the Train ultimately went down the tracks nonetheless.

But I have to ask the question: how does that impact WDW travelers?

You brought it up....

No restaurants

No bars

No public buidings

No open spaces

No commercial areas

All those things have progressed without much of a peep. Despite predictions of economic and social doom.

And you missed one key fact. We don’t smoke! Almost no one does.
And those that do are heavily skewed to low income. Who aren’t going to Disney world and are all but officially not welcome.

And we
Grow the crap!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You brought it up....

I did...but I wasn’t speaking to Florida only. And it really didn’t matter anyway.

The quip was “and yet...YOU smoke” from
Across the pond.

No...statistically we really don’t...and certainly not in the Hood We’re talking about.

Indy_UK

Fantastic news although I’ve never really seen it as a problem in WDW but this should have been rolled out to Disneyland Paris too which has a really bad problem with guests smoking. It’s probabaly my biggest turn off for going there

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I have to say, I don't really understand this decision on Disney's part. I'm not a smoker but I'm not particularly bothered by it either... I'm not sure what this gains them (talking strictly dollars-and-cents).

A bar or a restaurant is a poor comparison IMO because those are small indoor spaces. The smoking areas at WDW parks are outdoors and away from foot traffic, so I'd be very surprised to learn that guest complaints about them are especially significant. This decision seems like it'll off smokers and leave non-smokers very minimally better off, as the smoking areas were already easily avoided.

ImperfectPixie

Easy solution to that. I'm sure there will be notices and advertisement about this all over the World. If they do decide to not let any into the parks, you have been warned, and they can simple tell you it's not allowed in the parks, period. You'll then have the option to being it back to a car/hotel if able, or else into the trash. Just like airports not allowing certain items passed the security checkpoint. There is the rubbish.

Is that fair? Is that something they will actually do? Who knows. But to say they "won't be able to not permit people" isn't true at all.
They're installing a smoking area just outside the gates...where do they expect smokers to put their cigarettes if they used Disney transportation to get the parks? Oh, yeah...they just won't disallow them from being carried.

bigrigross

If they don't have a scent would you smell it? And there are plenty available that don't have scents, you just don't want to believe it.

I have never seen anything that is invisible either.

@marni1971 is club33 going to be non smoking?

Again, you people are kidding yourself. The "vapor" that comes back up has a scent. Nothing to do with believing. Its not just water vapor like you people keep insisting it is lmao.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I did...but I wasn’t speaking to Florida only. And it really didn’t matter anyway.

The quip was “and yet...YOU smoke” from
Across the pond.

No...statistically we really don’t...and certainly not in the Hood We’re talking about.

However WDW resides in Florida and thus would be impacted by current FL laws on smoking in public places.

As I've stated several times, I applaud Disney's attempt to curb smoking in their parks. I just think this new policy isn't the best way to do it.

Nor do I think it's Disney's attempt to head off issues with legalized recreational pot. That is several years down the road.

BoarderPhreak

It's easy to be all holier than thou, but like I said - I think a lot of people are in for a rude surprise come 5/1 - and I don't mean the smokers/vapers.

Again, you people are kidding yourself. The "vapor" that comes back up has a scent. Nothing to do with believing. Its not just water vapor like you people keep insisting it is lmao.
Again, as people who actually know better have told you - not all do. 🙄

You DO know that PG/VG is used in asthma inhalers, yes?

Last edited:

zurj

Ah but here's the problem:

I don't smoke; hate smoking; have had family who have died of lung cancer; dealt with a parent who smoked on-and-off through much of my childhood. Personally, I'd like smoking to just not happen as much as anyone - probably more than most.

but...

A few years ago, took a trip to the MK with extended family. Brother--in-law became increasingly irritable as the day went on. Finally got to the point where he was snapping at everyone in our group including his own three year old child over stupid stuff. He was being rude to cast members in lines, complaining about absolutely everything and making us all miserable as I'm sure he had to be helping to do for anyone else in ear-shot of him.

Eventually, wife clued us in to the problem. We got him to a smoking area, used restrooms and wasted about another 5 minutes and he came back from his little area in Tomorrowland like a man who had just found God.

Having to leave the park so he can get his smoke on would have seriously sucked for all of us. Thinking there was some easy way he was going to go to the front and then meet back up with us when he'd never been there before and didn't understand where anything was, also would have been a mess.

I'm lucky enough to pretty much never go with smokers but this one time was an eye-opening experience for me because prior to that, I'd have been right there with you.

This is a societal social-change kind of issue. It's something that most of us (non-smokers) want to be the norm. The problem is Disney making themselves the tip-of-the-spear when it comes to that change. You're already in a place where people can be stressed and tensions can be high. This just ads to it and the impact can be felt by plenty of non-smokers, too.

The other night, someone was smoking right in the middle of the mob of people waiting to get back on the ferry at park closing to go back to the TTC. Not to be judging books by covers too much but he looked like the kind of person who was fine doing what he was doing, knowing it was wrong.

You could see people's disgusted faces in the extra-wide queue when they came in contact in the switch-back but who was going to complain to him and risk an altercation? At that time of day, who was going to leave their family to go find a cast member to come do something about it? The guy got away with it and that was in a situation where he had options.

He was a jerk. I'm in no way saying he was representative of most smokers but I see a change like this pushing more people who, yes, have what I consider to be a filthy, dirty habit but who are reasonable and responsible and don't want to offend others, to break the rules.

I might be wrong. Really hope I'm wrong.
Completely agree with everything you said here. Also, remember that the opinions we're not hearing here... the children. If dad smokes and takes his little kids to Disney because he loves them, but can't get his fix in a quasi-convenient smoking section, then he's gonna be a super jerk to his children who are supposed to be having the time of their lives. OR he spends half the day dragging his kids in and out of the park to the inconvenient smoking section and their Disney vacation just became a bunch of walking to and from smoke breaks. I get that dad should just quit, but come on now, the kids can't help that. But I am so tired of people coming in with loose ice though

BoarderPhreak

How’s this for control:

It’s illegal to smoke on beaches, in parks, and near doorways and bus stops in my city. You can be ticketed by a bylaw officer.
You must be a NYer (or Cali). You forgot train platforms. You CAN be ticketed. I've not heard one instance where someone actually WAS.

Let's take it to the extreme. Hawaii. Or worse, parts of Asia. Smoking and vaping is all but banned there. They still sell product there though. 🤔

LAKid53

Premium Member
How’s this for control:

It’s illegal to smoke on beaches, in parks, and near doorways and bus stops in my city. You can be ticketed by a bylaw officer.

Violating the FCIAA is a non-criminal offense. 1st offense is fined $100. Subsequent offenses up to $500

bigrigross

It's easy to be all holier than thou, but like I said - I think a lot of people are in for a rude surprise come 5/1 - and I don't mean the smokers/vapers.

Again, as people who actually know better have told you - not all do. 🙄

You DO know that PG/VG is used in asthma inhalers, yes?
And asthma inhalers definitely have a smell as I used one as a child. You arent helping yourself here. Vape juice also has a bunch of other stuff in it as well. But thats not the point of my replies. Vaping has a smell. You can try to say it doesnt, but it does. You think you are hiding it, but I assure you that you are not and people notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom