Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocabear

No one is garaunteed to be able to do their vice anywhere they choose and at any time... Smokers will adjust, the sky will not fall. I think all of the recent changes around Disney have proven that it does not natter which group of people the changes inconvenience, there are still that many and more people willing to pay to be there...
I will enjoy not walking through a cloud of smoke at different spots around the park and outside every building...

Creathir

Because I choose not to, and the side effects of so far the nicotine patch (ironic) for me has been extreme tremors (couldn't even write) and nausea, when used as prescribed no smoking with it on. Doc said it was a bad reaction and couldn't use them.
This right here.
I’m not a fan of smoking, but I realize there are people who just cannot break the addiction.

It is cruel to treat them like second class citizens due to their addiction.

Designated smoking areas tucked away and off the beaten path are the solution, not outright banning.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Cameras don't cover 100% of the park and again even if the camera operator sees someone smoking it takes time for security to arrive, its not super easy to enforce.
Easier to encourage people to use a dedicated location and to provide sensible information upfront.

They are providing sensible information up front! It's a privately run corporation on private property which chooses to not to have smoking inside its amusement parks. It's your choice to either comply and enjoy or not and face the consequences. There is no legal "right to smoke" in the United States.

Ariel1986

They are providing sensible information up front! It's a privately run corporation on private property which chooses to not to have smoking inside its amusement parks. It's your choice to either comply and enjoy or not and face the consequences. There is no legal "right to smoke" in the United States.

No, it's not a legal requirement. But an outright ban is just unrealistic and isn't practical. It's like them deciding to only sell food outside the front gates (yes, I know food and cigarettes aren't the same, but smokers are going to need to smoke and the reality is when someone needs to smoke- and once you are a smoker it is a need, it's an addiction, right or wrong and even though it's their own doing- they are going to need a cigarette and a majority are not going to spend 10/20 minutes or more round trip to exit and re-enter the park to do so).

People can rant and rave and be on as high a moral horse as they want over smokers. It's not going to stop people smoking. And banning it from the park will not stop people smoking in the park. Now without dedicated areas there will be random pockets of smoke wherever as people try to sneak one.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
No, it's not a legal requirement. But an outright ban is just unrealistic and isn't practical. It's like them deciding to only sell food outside the front gates (yes, I know food and cigarettes aren't the same, but smokers are going to need to smoke and the reality is when someone needs to smoke- and once you are a smoker it is a need, it's an addiction, right or wrong and even though it's their own doing- the reality is they are going to need a cigarette and a majority are not going to spend 10/20 minutes or more round trip to exit and re-enter the park to do so).

People can rant and rave and be on as a high a moral horse as they want over smokers. It's not going to stop people smoking. And banning it from the park will not stop people smoking in the park. Now without dedicated areas there will be random pockets of smoke wherever as people try to sneak one.
Well that is a relflection of the person trying to "sneak one"
They know the policy and still try and ignore it because it inconveniences them .classy

francism

Designated smoking areas tucked away and off the beaten path are the solution, not outright banning.

But that's what Disney has done, they've taken the smoking areas and put them off the beaten path, outside the parks. Would it be that drastic of a difference if Disney had kept a single smoking area inside the parks but put it just inside the entrance? Or if they kept one but it way in a remote corner of the park?

Disney clearly expects that the parks are going to be absolutely slammed this summer (and beyond). First Disneyland will have Galaxy's Edge, then we have the summer season, and then Disney World will get Galaxy's Edge. The parks are going to be full to the point of not having these empty little nooks and corners where you can go smoke. Those spots are going to be filled with strollers, people who need to get away from so much stimulation (or get their children away), etc.

I expect that Disney will likely post signs on the way into the parks explaining the new policy when it starts, and also have announcements made on the trams, similar to the ones they make about selfie sticks. Disney could have taken a more drastic approach to this and turned people away from bag check and security if they had a lighter, but they've chosen not to do that. Instead they are giving people the opportunity to duck outside the gates for a few minutes, smoke, then return to the parks.

I do feel bad for the CMs who have to enforce the policy, but I also feel bad for them for having to deal with line cutters, shoplifters, and the other sorts of bad behavior people exhibit at the parks these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom