Smoke a Cigar on the Balcony at WL?

righttrack

Just curious. Can you smoke on your deck at WL? If you are in non-smoking? It just seems like the perfect place to catch some zzz's, a smoke and some relaxation at night.

polynesiangirl

Now, don't quote me on this, because I don't knwo if it's actually "allowed." But when I was with my future sister-in-law and her boyfriend at the Contemporary he smoked a cigar (that he got in DTD :) ) on our balcony even though we had a nonsmoking room. We made absolutely positive that the balcony door was *completely* shut so that no smoke smell would infiltrate the room and make it smell bad for the housekeeping/next people to use the room. There was no leftover smell, and we never heard anything bad from either Disney staff or from our neighbors, so I imagine that this is OK to do - but I'm not sure if we just didn't happen to "get caught."

All in all I would imagine that as long as you take all precautions necessary to ensure that your inside room is not affected by the smoke, it would be ok. My two cents at least! :)

Upvote 0

Ashitaka

I on the other hand would say "No, it's not alright."

You might close your balcony up to tight to protect your room, but what about the people one or two balconies down? Did they close their's up tight? Should they have to? Maybe they are trying to sit out and enjoy the evening too and don't care to smell a cigar?

I'd be pretty upset if I got a non-smoking room and had to adjust my use of my balcony around someone else's desire to sneak a cigar.

So please be polite and don't.

Upvote 0

marynorth

We stayed at the WL in 9/2004 for a week in a non-smoking section. On two occasions the smell of pot (yes - weed, maryjane, hooch, whatever!) was so strong in our bathroom that it almost made me high! Being no expert, I consulted my husband, who has attended many a Willie Nelson concert, and he confirmed my suspicions. It was not a cigar - which would have been considered benign had that smell wafted over from a nearby balcony!

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

Yeah, I would probably say it's better to *not* do it than to do it -- though I'm still unsure as to what is the actual "allowed/unallowed" status of this particular act. I personally don't smoke and for the record, *I* wasn't actually all that happy about the fact that he was smoking a cigar in the first place on the balcony (and I was very worried about the smell permeating the room, which can result in both ruining it for someone else and possibly getting finer by WDW for smoking up the room)...but at the same time since we never heard any bad feedback from anyone it *might* be technically allowed outside.

Moral of the story, I suppose: try to refrain if you can, if you still really would like to, ask at the desk if it's allowed? That's the best advice I can give I guess. I know that I have experienced people smoking cigarettes on the balconies next to ours many times over the years when we had a no smoking room...

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

Officially, if you are in a non-smoking room, smoking is not allowed on the balcony/patio of that room at the deluxe resorts. Also smoking is not allowed on the breeseways of the non-smoking buildings at all the other resorts.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Prof Ecks

Dear Righttrack:

I do not think "no smoking" extends to the outside of the hotel room, and that includes the balcony, and I don't think Disney does either. I only began smoking cigars in the the last few years, but my son and I enjoyed cigars on our balcony at Disney's wilderness Lodge Villas and this past Dec/Jan I smoked a couple of cigars on my balcony overlooking the lake at the Boardwalk. In both situations I made sure the balcony doors were closed but I made no effort to hide what I was doing. I might add that in both cases while I smoked there were no people on the balconies immediately around us. In fact, I am always surprised at how few people take the time to sit on their balcony in the evening or in the morning. I like to have a cup of coffee and a pastry or something in the morning as well. If someone was being disturbed by my smoke, I would more than likely put out the cigar, but that has not happened yet. So my advice is - enjoy your balcony and your cigar as long as it is not bothering your neighbors.

Upvote 0
righttrack said:
Just curious. Can you smoke on your deck at WL? If you are in non-smoking? It just seems like the perfect place to catch some zzz's, a smoke and some relaxation at night.

I have some good advice for you......DONT SMOKE....ITS BAD FOR YOU!

Upvote 0

Woody13

Prof Ecks said:
I do not think "no smoking" extends to the outside of the hotel room, and that includes the balcony, and I don't think Disney does either.

The smoking policy at WDW is very clear. Inside or outside you may only smoke in designated smoking areas. If you have a room designated for smoking, you may smoke in your room. So, it's rather simple. If you are not in a designated smoking area, you may not smoke (inside or outside).

Upvote 0

bidnow5

Please don't we were in Pop Century last June and people two doors down would smoke out side the room and we were leaving to go to the park and the smell was real bad and I had an asthma attack from it. Please think of the people that get non smoking rooms for health reasons

Upvote 0

kengels

Do it...I did, three or four times looking over the pool and Bay Lake! Nothing finer than your beautiful wife, glass of wine and a smooth cigar! Just use common sense and your best judgment. If you don't feel 100% confident in your actions and the possible repercussions (what ever they may be) then grab your woman and a bottle of Chianti and head down to the geyser.

Upvote 0

MissM

Woody13 said:
The smoking policy at WDW is very clear. Inside or outside you may only smoke in designated smoking areas. If you have a room designated for smoking, you may smoke in your room. So, it's rather simple. If you are not in a designated smoking area, you may not smoke (inside or outside).
I agree. If you want to be able to smoke a cigar, simply request a smoking room. That way, other people enjoying their balconies in their adjoining non-smoking rooms will not have to be around the smoke.

Non smoking is non smoking, completely and utterly for the room - which includes it's balcony.

There are plenty of walkways, trails and areas around WL that I'm sure you could find a desginated area to enjoy your cigar and relax. There are also areas around Downtown Disney on the water you can sit and relax and enjoy your cigar as well.
-m

Upvote 0

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Please don't. As both of us are allergic to smoke, we on many occasions have been forced to close our non-smoking balcony door because our non-smoking neighbors are smoking and it's getting to us. It's just no fun to have a lagoon view that has to be thru the window.

Upvote 0

righttrack

Original Poster
I've been told that outdoors at the resort is considered a designated smoking area, with the exception of the central pool area. I thank you for all of your responses, and yes, I agree that courtesy is the watchword when dealing with fellow travellers. I wouldn't consider doing it with my neighbor's or my door/window open.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

When I stayed at the Contemporary, the guests in the room above ours were smoking cigarettes and flicking the ashes and butts off their balcony and they were landing on ours, not to mention the smell of smoke. That was not cool. Please be considerate of other guests and do not smoke on your balcony.

Upvote 0

crazygirley

On our last trip to AKL, we had neighbors who would go out on to the balcony and smoke a cigar and drink beers at the same time every day... now it is strictly prohibited at AKL to smoke on the balconies... the animals... but it didn't bother me, so I never said anything. Bottom line, if it isn't allowed, don't do it. Ask first. Be respectful of your neighbors if it is allowed.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
Aaka said:
I on the other hand would say "No, it's not alright."

You might close your balcony up to tight to protect your room, but what about the people one or two balconies down? Did they close their's up tight? Should they have to? Maybe they are trying to sit out and enjoy the evening too and don't care to smell a cigar?

I'd be pretty upset if I got a non-smoking room and had to adjust my use of my balcony around someone else's desire to sneak a cigar.

So please be polite and don't.

Ditto - Nothing better to kill the mood and wreck your relaxation than when someone contaminates your fresh air with smoke.

I think smokers just don't even realize how irritating it is to non-smokers when they smoke even 20 feet away. If I paid good money for a non-smoking room and someone a few balconies away lit up I would be furious and probably call the front desk to complain.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom