Slinky Dog Dash rider experience and comments

The Empress Lilly

You’re either not over 6’2” or you are really into yoga if Matterhorn is comfortable for you.
I'm almost 6'2"!

But yes, I am gorgeously athletic. Well minus 'ly athletic'. 😌

I was born seven decades ago:

20200101_190118.jpg

ThistleMae

Can't wait to ride. I secured 3 FP's on 3 different days. To be honest, there aren't that many good choices at HS. My other favorite is Toy Story, which I also got. Otherwise, I'll rope drop for other things.

Kamikaze

Someone told me, she who shall not be named, that Disneyland was known for the Matterhorn. I really don't know what that means then.

Its known for being Walt's park. The Matterhorn is known for being the first steel tubed coaster. I would never say its the premiere attraction at the park. Its 'iconic', sure, same as most of the other attractions there, but its not even close to #1.

ThistleMae

Its known for being Walt's park. The Matterhorn is known for being the first steel tubed coaster. I would never say its the premiere attraction at the park. Its 'iconic', sure, same as most of the other attractions there, but its not even close to #1.
Oh, okay, so "iconic" not premier ride. Anyway....rode once....one and done for me.

RSoxNo1

I suggest DHS fixes the FP+ tiers. It's terrible in it's current form
How should it be fixed? I personally liked it. Was able to get a SDD FP Christmas week when hours were extended and there were still ToT FPs available day-of as 4th FPs!
If they're insisting on using 3 advanced bookings per park, the current tier setup for DHS is decent. I wish they would acknowledge though that DHS, DAK and Epcot don't have/need 3 advanced bookings. The original pitch for XPass recognized this and Disney's solution was to add Fastpass where it doesn't belong in order to pad the numbers.

To that point though, the new FPP rules for DHS make hopping to that park more enjoyable. You can generally get same day Fastpasses for at least one worthwhile attraction after 3 pm.

The real solution is to revert to legacy or MaxPass rules on the digital platform. The alternative solution is 1 Advanced booking for resort guests (and maybe DVC/AP) and then one additional Fastpass upon entering the park. Then, both become rolling Fastpasses upon use.

ToTBellHop

If they're insisting on using 3 advanced bookings per park, the current tier setup for DHS is decent. I wish they would acknowledge though that DHS, DAK and Epcot don't have/need 3 advanced bookings. The original pitch for XPass recognized this and Disney's solution was to add Fastpass where it doesn't belong in order to pad the numbers.

To that point though, the new FPP rules for DHS make hopping to that park more enjoyable. You can generally get same day Fastpasses for at least one worthwhile attraction after 3 pm.

The real solution is to revert to legacy or MaxPass rules on the digital platform. The alternative solution is 1 Advanced booking for resort guests (and maybe DVC/AP) and then one additional Fastpass upon entering the park. Then, both become rolling Fastpasses upon use.
My solution is to skip WDW altogether this year and make plans for DLP and DL. I’m sure they’ll fix MDE by the end of the decade.

RSoxNo1

My solution is to skip WDW altogether this year and make plans for DLP and DL. I’m sure they’ll fix MDE by the end of the decade.
I know this is tongue in cheek, but I wanted to follow up.

I have benefited greatly from Fastpass+ and I imagine most people on here have as well. We know the system, we know how to exploit it and maximize efficiency. However, it is an awful system. It creates undo stress to the vacation planning and my understanding is that it was primarily pushed by Iger and Rasulo as an unnecessary component of My Disney Experience.

There's a reason this wasn't adopted around the world. There's a reason Tom Staggs, Jay Rasulo, Nick Franklin and Bruce Vaughn are no longer with the company. Fastpass+ did not do what they wanted it to do, yet they're insisting on digging their feet in some sort of weird protest about keeping it around.

I know @marni1971 has said that changes are afoot, but until they happen, I will continue to bash it.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That’s exactly what we did last year. I’ve said it elsewhere that Paris with legacy FP was a breath of fresh air, and it worked. Assuming we have to use the system of course:

93BC7A36-0D6F-4AE6-A5FE-06CD1F2246C1.jpeg

Disneyland was a curious hybrid of having app integration but old school get it in the park and get a piece of paper (as a reminder and keepsake!) but again, it was so refreshing. And shock horror, just like Paris, we could be accommodated with what we wanted on the day we wanted. And in both parks it was so so nice queuing for many attractions with no FP option. And the queues kept shuffling forwards. Just like they were designed to.

ToTBellHop

That’s exactly what we did last year. I’ve said it elsewhere that Paris with legacy FP was a breath of fresh air, and it worked. Assuming we have to use the system of course:

View attachment 438533

Disneyland was a curious hybrid of having app integration but old school get it in the park and get a piece of paper (as a reminder and keepsake!) but again, it was so refreshing. And shock horror, just like Paris, we could be accommodated with what we wanted on the day we wanted. And in both parks it was so so nice queuing for many attractions with no FP option. And the queues kept shuffling forwards. Just like they were designed to.
I understand paper is wasteful. Surely they can find a way to merge the old, fairer system into the app just about everyone in WDW (begrudgingly) uses. Both CA and Paris provide a leg up to those who wish to purchase it but the impact seems to be negligible and I doubt there are really that many filthy rich guests coming to WDW. So I imagine a fair(er) system with optional upcharges could work.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I understand paper is wasteful. Surely they can find a way to merge the old, fairer system into the app just about everyone in WDW (begrudgingly) uses. Both CA and Paris provide a leg up to those who wish to purchase it but the impact seems to be negligible and I doubt there are really that many filthy rich guests coming to WDW. So I imagine a fair(er) system with optional upcharges could work.
I’d assume paper is from a renewable source. I found it more surprising and wasteful in DL where the ticket is purely a reminder, not a redemption.

ToTBellHop

I know this is tongue in cheek, but I wanted to follow up.

I have benefited greatly from Fastpass+ and I imagine most people on here have as well. We know the system, we know how to exploit it and maximize efficiency. However, it is an awful system. It creates undo stress to the vacation planning and my understanding is that it was primarily pushed by Iger and Rasulo as an unnecessary component of My Disney Experience.

There's a reason this wasn't adopted around the world. There's a reason Tom Staggs, Jay Rasulo, Nick Franklin and Bruce Vaughn are no longer with the company. Fastpass+ did not do what they wanted it to do, yet they're insisting on digging their feet in some sort of weird protest about keeping it around.

I know @marni1971 has said that changes are afoot, but until they happen, I will continue to bash it.
Most of the regulars here are rather clever. We knew how to work the old FP to our advantage. We know how to work MDE to our advantage. I’m sure we will figure out how to make the Genie work to our advantage. WDW has always been more enjoyable to the planner, and I enjoy planning, but I find MDE so onerous as to sacrifice fun a bit. I don’t derive pleasure from that type of planning like I do obsessing over a park map or perusing menus at a park I’ve never visited.

RobWDW1971

I’d assume paper is from a renewable source. I found it more surprising and wasteful in DL where the ticket is purely a reminder, not a redemption.
Just use MaxPass everywhere - charge for it, no paper, no advance planning, day of reservations only, it just works.

Note: My vote still is for all FastPass to go away, but since that isn't happening, MaxPass is the best version I've experienced.

disneygeek90

Just use MaxPass everywhere - charge for it, no paper, no advance planning, day of reservations only, it just works.

Note: My vote still is for all FastPass to go away, but since that isn't happening, MaxPass is the best version I've experienced.
What’s the option if you don’t purchase Maxpass? No Fastpass for you?

RobWDW1971

What’s the option if you don’t purchase Maxpass? No Fastpass for you?
Yup. Nominal fee like MaxPass is today and get rid of all kiosks and paper tickets. App only and day of booking only once in park. No more FP+ advanced reservations. No more tiers nonsense and every ride available when you arrive in the morning. The system works great at DL.

Again, would prefer no FP, but if we have to have it, the MaxPass system is significantly better than the mess we have today.

And ROTR boarding groups have shown that Disney has moved to app only thinking. For the small percentage without a smartphone, they can go to an employee, just like they do for the boarding groups.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

Yup. Nominal fee like MaxPass is today and get rid of all kiosks and paper tickets. App only and day of booking only once in park. No more FP+ advanced reservations. No more tiers nonsense and every ride available when you arrive in the morning. The system works great at DL.

Again, would prefer no FP, but if we have to have it, the MaxPass system is significantly better than the mess we have today.

And ROTR boarding groups have shown that Disney has moved to app only thinking. For the small percentage without a smartphone, they can go to an employee, just like they do for the boarding groups.
The difference with actual Maxpass is you’re still able to book a pass the “old” way. What you’re explaining isn’t Maxpass, it’s just Universal’s Express Pass, but with time restraints.

RobWDW1971

The difference with actual Maxpass is you’re still able to book a pass the “old” way. What you’re explaining isn’t Maxpass, it’s just Universal’s Express Pass, but with time restraints.
Yup. But at a much lower cost and more controlled through the app. BTW, how much angst do you hear about Universal’s system and destroying the stand by line and ruining their vacation because they have to plan two months in advance?

Unfortunately, Disney can’t do their system because their number of hotel rooms would overwhelm the system to just let every hotel guest go into the express line.

You can’t fix WDW’s system without both removing the advanced reservations and reducing the number of people getting FP’s, but I’m off topic on the thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom