Slinky Dog Dash rider experience and comments

gerarar

Premium Member
According to the site that shall not be named, the installation of shade in the Slink Dog Dash outdoor queue is now finished!

Also, brand new lights have been installed in the disguise of K'NEX pieces, which btw I think are very CUTE and cool!!
Here's some pictures from 'em:

The start of this project (or fix) was around early September, so it's always good to see things wrap up!!

ToTBellHop

According to the site that shall not be named, the installation of shade in the Slink Dog Dash outdoor queue is now finished!

Also, brand new lights have been installed in the disguise of K'NEX pieces, which btw I think are very CUTE and cool!!
Here's some pictures from 'em:
View attachment 423758View attachment 423759View attachment 423760View attachment 423761

The start of this project (or fix) was around early September, so it's always good to see things wrap up!!
I approve.

MickeyLuv'r

We love this ride, my only criticism of the land is that the walkway is too narrow, especially with the green soldiers sometimes taking up most of the walkway from time to time, and GE now open. It seems an odd choice to have GE exit through this area.

I like the green soldiers, but I wonder how much longer Disney plans to keep them in their current show format.

Disneyson

I think a Honey, I Shrunk The Kids - style playground in this area would really hit a home run if they built it. I believe it's the only park now without any sort of play structure.

I wish they would include all of the scenic elements promised in the loading area in the attraction, too, like the "Howdy" shark and Hamm... the ride isn't thrilling enough for me, but I enjoy similar rides like Mine Train because of the scenery.

tirian

Y'all just can't be happy with anything. Not enough shade, shade is installed, complain about it.
I mean . . . it would have made sense to install it 4 or 5 feet lower to preserve their own sightline. Or something.
But then people would complain about it being too low..
Have you seen Disneyland’s new entrance arch to Adventureland? Its dimensions completely disregard the surrounding proportions; it’s distractingly tall. Different internal team, but same rookie mistakes...from the company that’s supposed to be the best at this stuff...

That said, this particular canopy doesn’t bother me too much, and the theming is well done.

Slinky Dog is one of my favorite additions over the last few years, even over Mine Train (which is too short), and it’s almost (but not really) an off-the-shelf coaster. No dark ride segments or special effects, just excellent theming that’s carried far enough to feel plausible. It’s a sleeper hit for sure.

Movielover

Have you seen Disneyland’s new entrance arch to Adventureland? Its dimensions completely disregard the surrounding proportions; it’s distractingly tall. Different internal team, but same rookie mistakes...from the company that’s supposed to be the best at this stuff...

The new sign is a recreation of the Original 1950's Adventureland sign... You know from a time when they "were the best at stuff"...

and it’s almost (but not really) an off-the-shelf coaster.

There is absolutely nothing "off the shelf" about Slinky.

RSoxNo1

That said, this particular canopy doesn’t bother me too much, and the theming is well done.

Slinky Dog is one of my favorite additions over the last few years, even over Mine Train (which is too short), and it’s almost (but not really) an off-the-shelf coaster. No dark ride segments or special effects, just excellent theming that’s carried far enough to feel plausible. It’s a sleeper hit for sure.

By design, the theming in Toy Story Land is "light" at best. It's well executed, but it's not a concept that lends itself to intricate theming/placemaking. I enjoy Slinky Dog Dash quite a bit as well and certainly more than I expected but I wouldn't call its theming, "excellent".

tirian

The new sign is a recreation of the Original 1950's Adventureland sign... You know from a time when they "were the best at stuff"...
Not quite. The tower is very similar, but the overall proportions are different. This has been on ongoing problem in American projects since the Beast’s Castle and Belle’s Village in New Fantasyland: proportions and forced perspective are close, but just off enough to bother someone with a trained eye. The entrance to Mermaid is another offender.

I freely admit this doesn’t bother most people, and I’m not going to pretend it’s detrimental to the experience.

There is absolutely nothing "off the shelf" about Slinky.
I’m talking about how it looks as an exposed coaster, and in case you missed my context, I really like it and know it’s not “off the shelf.”

Last edited:

tirian

By design, the theming in Toy Story Land is "light" at best. It's well executed, but it's not a concept that lends itself to intricate theming/placemaking. I enjoy Slinky Dog Dash quite a bit as well and certainly more than I expected but I wouldn't call its theming, "excellent".
If you’ve ever been in Toy Story Land in Hong Kong or Paris, the Studios version is excellent. ;)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
If it were in a castle park, I’d be more critical, but I like it in the Studios. To each his own, I guess.
We were singularly unimpressed with TSL in 2018; although we liked it better at night.

Fast forward to 2019, and it has definitely grown on us. The enclosed restaurant will be a much welcomed addition.

I agree with everyone else that a HIStK style playground would be the icing on the cake. Might this still be a possibility? Is there room for it anywhere?

Big missed opportunity IMO to not have relocated the Speedway to here -convert to electric vehicles, and weave it in and around and under the SDD tracks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom