Sling Bag for my Trip

Jester1023

Good-day I have yet to post on this forum I have been posting on DIS forums but I am planning a trip for the last week of August with my wife,myself and 7 year old daughter this will be her first Disney trip.

with that being said here is my first question for this forum

So my Walt Disney trip is still a bit away we are going at the end of August My wife ,me & our 7 year old daughter we will be spending alot of time in the parks so I am looking for A good sling type bag to carry around the parks we are going at the end of August so it must be lightweight and preferably at least water resistant with Floridas daily showers.I don't want anything too big or too small something somewhere in the middle

what I plan on packing in them please let me know if you think I missed anything as this is our first trip with a kid

water bottle x2 (preferabbly an insulated one such as a camelbak or like)
sunscreen
Autograph book with Sharpie
sunglasses
a pair of spare clothes for my daughter
mini first aid kit mainly for bandaids for possible blisters
ponchos
some snacks
camera
cell phone
portable sell phone charger stick
baby wipes
small towel
fan misters these are the ones we have

https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Licen...024&sr=8-4&keywords=disney+o2cool+misting+fan

we have 3 of them one for each of us my wife is bringing a smaller bag so she could probably fit one maybe two in hers along with another water bottle

(I plan on putting all this items in over size large zip-lock bags for easy inspection and functionality)

I think that covers everything I probably missed something but I think I got everything

we could split between the two sling bags but I will have the larger of the two

so in order of most importance this is what I am looking for

1)Size/Comfort/Weight needs to be right as I am going to be carry this in the walk on the sun heat

2)Durability I don't need the thing falling apart 1/2 way through our trip

3) water resistant/water proof I would like it to be somewhat water resistant we are going to have ponchos but we are likely to be caught in the rain at some point

4) the ability to switch shoulders via l/r hook would be beneficial

5) style not overly concerned with style but I would like something that would look alright for a guy carrying it around

6)price as long as the bag checks all of the above I am not overly concerned with the price as I will probably use it after the trip as well I would like to keep it under $40

here are some of the bags I found just curious if anyone else has used any of these?

Uni-gear
Outdoor master
neat pack
Kaka
magictodoor
Ryomi
Pritek

https://www.amazon.com/Unigear-Shou...13&sr=8-5&keywords=unigear+sling+bag+backpack

https://www.amazon.com/OutdoorMaste...ons&keywords=unigear+sling+bag+backpack&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WQOU7CEWFSB9

https://www.amazon.com/Crossbody-Ba...05&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=kaka+sling+bag&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Magictodoor-...9904767&sr=8-3&keywords=magictodoor+sling+bag

https://www.amazon.com/RYOMI-Crossb...8-5&keywords=ryomi+sling+bag+canvas+crossbody

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A353UF6QMO0TTR

these pretty much check all the boxes from what I could tell but I prefer to take my chances on one that someone has already used at Disney that

thank-you

DisneyOutsider

I will say that as a grown man who has a lot of bags, you are asking an awful lot out of a bag to check all of those boxes and still meet your #2 priority (durability) for just $40. At that price-point you're limited to online Chinese manufacturers, which I see you've found several on Amazon.

I don't expect any of those bags would give out on you on their maiden voyage, but I also wouldn't expect to have those bags last a long time with frequent use.

At your price-point, I've had a great time using this bag from REI: https://www.rei.com/product/892204/rei-co-op-flash-22-pack

It's extremely light-weight, very durable/well-made, and will have much better breath-ability than the bags from Amazon. It can also easily store water bottles on the outside pockets of the bag, so you don't risk getting the contents wet inside of the bag. I know you're looking for a sling-style bag, but I'd honestly encourage you to steer clear of the sling unless it's something you've tried before and are firm on. It seems like maybe it would be more comfortable in theory, but I find with any amount of weight and heft to a bag it becomes rather irritating to bear the weight on one shoulder. The day pack I linked has mesh straps that are very breathable and well-made.

If I decide to carry a bag in the parks, that's my go-to bag. (PS. It's currently on sale/clearance)

Upvote 0

aliceismad

Just FYI, you can get a cup of ice water at any quick service restaurant for free (in case you don't want to haul around water bottles).

I'd say three misters seems a bit much, but I've never been in August. However, my husband sometimes works outdoors in various hot locations ans swearing by cooling towels. They're cheap and lightweight if you google them.

Upvote 0

Nottamus

Looked at some pics...and just my opinion...seems like quite a bit of weight there for one shoulder.

I have a small ish Swiss gear backpack approx the same size as the Outdoor Master...but its got 2 straps to even out the load. And its not too hot to use...ive used it on quite a few trips now. Migght have cost me 55$ ?

Long park days for me I need comfort! We carry two hydroflask water bottles with ice...they alone weigh a bit...but saves us 3$ a water.

Upvote 0

Jester1023

Original Poster
Thanks everyone I am going to ditch the 3 mister idea probably bringing only one to the parks with a small handheld fan.You guys are probably right its too much bag for what I am going to be carrying around with me.its going to be hot and I want to carry around as little as possible so this would probably be my list unless you think I should knock something off or add something

cell phone
camera
autograph book (with Sharpie)
sun glasses x3
spare clothes for daughter
ponchos x3
sunscreen
insulated water bottle 1 or 2 (we can share)
mini first aid kit (mostly for band-aids and such) though this may not be necessary
small portable phone charger
fan mister x1
mini handheld fan x1

I'm thinking that covers everything

thanks everyone for your thoughts,opinions & suggestions

Upvote 0

DisneyOutsider

Thanks for this reference! From the pics it looks like it could be folded up and put in a pocket when not in use. Is that the case?

Here's my reason for asking: We did that with some nylon string-cinch bags on our last trip, so that as we shed the sweater/jacket layers we could carry them in the pack. And, by having the empty bags in a pocket we were able to bypass the bag check lines.

Without any stuff in the bag, there is not much rigidity at all, so it's possible... but it would need to be a large pocket. Would probably make your pocket bulge. Might be good enough just to get around bag check, but probably don't want to walk around like that.

Upvote 0

DisneyOutsider

Thanks for this reference! From the pics it looks like it could be folded up and put in a pocket when not in use. Is that the case?

Here's my reason for asking: We did that with some nylon string-cinch bags on our last trip, so that as we shed the sweater/jacket layers we could carry them in the pack. And, by having the empty bags in a pocket we were able to bypass the bag check lines.

This video will give you an idea (you can skip to the last minute for the relevant portion):

Upvote 0

The Colonel

OT, but if you are going to stand on line and collect autographs, why not have the characters sign a picture frame mat. Then at least you can display a picture with the autographs around it. You know where that autograph book is going to wind up.

Upvote 0

Jester1023

Original Poster
there will be Minimal Line standing she will get most of her Autographs at the character meals,she actually does a good job of holding onto stuff shes got a treasure chest where we keep all her memories and most of them are collected in there,stuff going back from when she was young the past couple of years we've gone to great wolf and shes got her autographed cards and shirts in her chest so I really don't think the autograph book will wind up in the garbage

Upvote 0

mmnw

I carried a sling on my last trip and gave my husband the backpack. I made a note to myself I’d use a backpack next trip to distribute the weight more evenly.

1-2 plastic disposable water bottles. Refill at quick service. Use a few times until it made sense to pitch. Share with the family. I had them in case we needed them in the summer heat while waiting in line. Less heavy than insulated. (At home I don’t use disposable ones.). Quick service restaurants will give you ice water so I was ok the bottles were not insulated.

We left the bulky fans at home. Instead carried 1-2, 3 ounce travel spray bottles. Fill with ice water. Used cooling towels as well.

We are often only free during the summer months and can only drag around so much in August!!! 😳

Upvote 0

mmnw

....and to add to your list, baseball hats made sense for our family. They make breatheable light weight ones. Kept the sun from burning our scalp. Not everyone needs them, but it was a necessity for us.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom