News Sleeping Beauty's Castle to be refurbished

shortstop

At the park today. It looks... alright. I actually don’t mind the new brick colors and the pink of the castle. The blue, however, is too bold, in my opinion. Not at all a fan of the sparkles on the front. They really stand out. Also, the new roofs have absolutely no texture to them. They look like flat pieces of plastic, rather than real shingled roofs, which is especially noticeable in the afternoon when the sun reflects off the castle roof. Coupled with the new coloring, it makes the castle look more like a toy than it should.

Now that I’ve seen it in person, my final verdict is that while it’s not horrible, it’s not great either. I definitely don’t hate it but I don’t love it either.

shortstop

At the park today. It looks... alright. I actually don’t mind the new brick colors and the pink of the castle. The blue, however, is too bold, in my opinion. Not at all a fan of the sparkles on the front. They really stand out. Also, the new roofs have absolutely no texture to them. They look like flat pieces of plastic, rather than real shingled roofs, which is especially noticeable in the afternoon when the sun reflects off the castle roof. Coupled with the new coloring, it makes the castle look more like a toy than it should.

Now that I’ve seen it in person, my final verdict is that while it’s not horrible, it’s not great either. I definitely don’t hate it but I don’t love it either.

Here’s what I mean with the roofs. This is pretty accurate to how it looks in person.

socalifornian

Wow am I reading this right? Kim felt like they needed to make the castle brighter to compensate for the falcons pending popularity? 😆 it went in the wrong park

>>During a year in which the Millennium Falcon will most likely become Disneyland’s most photographed attraction, Irvine set out to make the castle bolder and more colorful, as if to say, “Don’t forget your roots.” While Galaxy’s Edge will emphasize realism, with every staffer adopting a role in the land to give it a lived-in feel, Irvine describes her castle refresh as if she were putting a punctuation mark on Disneyland’s mission statement — to enter the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy.

NateD1226

Wow am I reading this right? Kim felt like they needed to make the castle brighter to compensate for the falcons pending popularity? 😆 it went in the wrong park

>>During a year in which the Millennium Falcon will most likely become Disneyland’s most photographed attraction, Irvine set out to make the castle bolder and more colorful, as if to say, “Don’t forget your roots.” While Galaxy’s Edge will emphasize realism, with every staffer adopting a role in the land to give it a lived-in feel, Irvine describes her castle refresh as if she were putting a punctuation mark on Disneyland’s mission statement — to enter the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy.
THAT is how you know SW:GE is too much for Disneyland.

SuddenStorm

I don’t think Kim should be making decisions any more. Caring about DL and being competent at one’s job are separate things. Her track record is embarrassing.

After decades in Imagineering, Kim is introduced not by her resume, but instead by her lineage. "Her parents were WED designers blah blah"

Let's compare this to Tony Baxter, who is instead introduced by his long list of incredibly done lands and attractions.

britain

After decades in Imagineering, Kim is introduced not by her resume, but instead by her lineage. "Her parents were WED designers blah blah"

Let's compare this to Tony Baxter, who is instead introduced by his long list of incredibly done lands and attractions.

Bah, the family angle makes for a nice newspaper story. They’d do the same for any other imagineer if there were a family connection to talk about.

SuddenStorm

Bah, the family angle makes for a nice newspaper story. They’d do the same for any other imagineer if there were a family connection to talk about.

Sure... but when they completely gloss over what she's actually done since most of it really isn't worth mentioning, that's where there's issues. Especially when she's being declared "the person most responsible with preserving the look and feel of Disneyland" as she actively bastardizes the park icon with glitter and stars.

SirWillow

I think the new castle looks great. And this split photo is a great example of the changes:

The walls look so much better! The new blue is a great contrast to those colors- better than the old in my opinion. I would have liked if they had kept the old trim on the roofs, but otherwise I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it again in October.

SuddenStorm

I think the new castle looks great. And this split photo is a great example of the changes:

The walls look so much better! The new blue is a great contrast to those colors- better than the old in my opinion. I would have liked if they had kept the old trim on the roofs, but otherwise I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it again in October.

Worth noting, that split photo uses the older castle in a modified form- it was taken when they had the 60th roofs on, after the 60th ended. All that extra silver lining and toppers isn't how the castle was supposed to look at any point in time.

shortstop

Worth noting, that split photo uses the older castle in a modified form- it was taken when they had the 60th roofs on, after the 60th ended. All that extra silver lining and toppers isn't how the castle was supposed to look at any point in time.
To this point, probably the biggest positive of the new castle is the removal of the remnants from the 60th castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom