News Sleeping Beauty's Castle to be refurbished

Californian Elitist

The blue is very stark and prominent. Not sure how I feel about the different tones of pink and the gold. Saving final judgement for after seeing it in person.

However, Cindy’s is still better (sorry I’m a WDW kid while Sleeping Beauty fits DL, it still doesn’t strike as impressive first impression turning down Main Street.)

Don’t apologize, I don’t think any of us see this as a competition with Florida, nor do we care about what’s going on with Cindy in Florida.

Disney Analyst

The blue is very stark and prominent. Not sure how I feel about the different tones of pink and the gold. Saving final judgement for after seeing it in person.

Don’t apologize, I don’t think any of us see this as a competition with Florida, nor do we care about what’s going on with Cindy in Florida.

Agreed. A lot of us can also hold many ideas in our head at the same time. Cinderella Castle is beautiful, Sleeping Beauty Castle is beautiful. They are two different castles in two different places.

Californian Elitist

Agreed. A lot of us can also hold many ideas in our head at the same time. Cinderella Castle is beautiful, Sleeping Beauty Castle is beautiful. They are two different castles in two different places.

Right. Like, were any of us constantly thinking of MK’s or any of the other castles during this thread? Probably not, but I could be wrong.

Just another example of random WDW folks stopping by to discuss WDW. Lol I don’t get it, but okay.

mickEblu

The blue and pink look less stark with a darker stone. However, the only thing I probably will not like when all is said and done is the gold stones around the drawbridge.

BTW LOVED the Kim Irvine interview. She cares so much.

I didn’t notice those until you pointed them out. I don’t like those either

TROR

Practical Pig

Count me among those who think this is a great job. Final opinion on live viewing, of course, but from the photos so far I think it may be a home run. It might be over-the-fence, but I'll save that level of enthusiasm for when I see the sparkles in-person. But with the whole frontal vista now revealed, and the stronger roof expression overall, they're growing on me. She does look taller and grander after all.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

It makes Hong Kong's version look like Chinese ripoff.
rgxLvS7.jpg

Sleeping_Beauty_Castle_at_Hong_Kong_Disneyland_200705.jpg
I actually think it's quite the opposite. HKDL's castle looks like it was designed by skilled artists, while DL's colors look like a cheap knock-off.

The color scheme HKDL castle is restrained and dignified; it has hints of fantasy, while remaining grounded in reality. DL's new color scheme takes bits and pieces of how people imagine a Disney castle might look, and turns them up to a cartoonish level. Instead of being alluring and implying there's more than initially meets the eye, the new design stands there and shouts "LOOK AT ME! I'M A FAIRY TALE CASTLE, Y'ALL!"

Everything is bright, bold, and in your face; there's very little subtlety to the design. I understand what they're attempting with lighter colors toward the tops (the technique works incredibly well in Carsland, Pandora, and seemingly Galaxy's Edge), but it just doesn't work with blocks of color rather than a gradual fade. The contrast between the various roofs, walls, stone, and trim is just all too much, making it look like a mass-produced toy made with limited material options, rather than a real world structure made from actual building materials. Sure, some of it will fade over time, but at its heart it will remain the same; even after 9 years of sun exposure, the 50th color scheme was still far more pink that the castle had been in prior incarnations.

In a way, it reminds me of a beautiful woman who is aging, and instead of gracefully accepting it, she cakes on the makeup with increasingly harsh lines and bright colors. Instead of being beautiful and refined, she looks increasingly like a circus clown.

Until the last few years, Disney parks have always been grounded far more in reality than in fantasy. Sure, it's always been a romanticized version of the past, but that's what allows the fantasy elements to be folded in so seamlessly while still appealing to and connecting with general audiences. I fear that the recent shift toward ever-increasing emphasis on fantasy and cartoonish elements will be the most difficult part to undo of Iger's legacy of giving people what they think that want, rather than blowing them away with something they never expected. Yes, HKDL was designed and built on a budget, but it was also done during that previous era when even the fantastical designs were very much rooted in reality, giving them a timeless appeal and endless number of ways to connect with the audience.

Of course, HKDL's castle is currently being made over in an even more egregious manner due to some political posturing and castle envy, so any beauty and charm it once had will be gone forever. While DL's paint scheme is heavy-handed, at least it can be easily undone in the future with another coat of paint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom