News Sleeping Beauty's Castle to be refurbished

britain

Well, the homage to Notre Dame looks nicer than ever.

Disney Analyst

This is a fantastic interview, quoted is about the castle project.

As Disneyland readies itself for its future, Irvine stands as a connection to the park’s beginnings. Her mission: to ensure that the company doesn’t forget its past; that’s evident in her current, and arguably most personal project: to repair and refurbish Disneyland’s centerpiece, Sleeping Beauty Castle.

During a year in which the Millennium Falcon will most likely become Disneyland’s most photographed attraction, Irvine set out to make the castle bolder and more colorful, as if to say, “Don’t forget your roots.” While Galaxy’s Edge will emphasize realism, with every staffer adopting a role in the land to give it a lived-in feel, Irvine describes her castle refresh as if she were putting a punctuation mark on Disneyland’s mission statement — to enter the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy.

“When people come to Disneyland, they want it to be more fantastical,” she says, repeating a lesson passed down to her from John Hench, one of the park’s original designers, who would routinely tell Irvine to “push the color.”

“They want us to do things and use things that you wouldn't see when you're walking down the main street of your town,” she says. “This has got to be sweeter and more fantasy. So I keep that in mind. I'm not afraid of color at all. Ninety-nine percent of people are really afraid to use color in their decorating, or even buying a car — it's black or white. It doesn’t scare me to do this."

Some new flourishes, such as nightlight-like stars on the front roof of the castle, are already generating a debate; after a pause, she says, “I am afraid of the reaction people are going to have.”

VJ

This is a fantastic interview, quoted is about the castle project.

Beautiful, beautiful interview. I appreciate that Kim is able to talk about both her successes and, not necessarily failures, but missteps. I also appreciate the respect she has for Disneyland and the history that the park has accrued over its 64-year existence. This article made me feel good to be a Disney fan, honestly.

Disney Analyst

Beautiful, beautiful interview. I appreciate that Kim is able to talk about both her successes and, not necessarily failures, but missteps. I also appreciate the respect she has for Disneyland and the history that the park has accrued over its 64-year existence. This article made me feel good to be a Disney fan, honestly.

Fully agree! So nice to see an interview with someone in Disney that doesn't feel sterile or like it tows the company line. This was very candid and real. LOVE.

D

Deleted member 107043

Yes, and the fact that she has permission to take creative risks, something that used to be the norm at DL and has only recently become acceptable again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Analyst

Some more photos from today:

I also want to add, I really do not think any lights are incorporate into these new roofs. You would be able to see LED bulbs if so. I hope with this refurb they maybe end the castle roof overlays... I'd rather this last longer and not get damaged.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Some more photos from today:

I also want to add, I really do not think any lights are incorporate into these new roofs. You would be able to see LED bulbs if so. I hope with this refurb they maybe end the castle roof overlays... I'd rather this last longer and not get damaged.

Except you know they will probably still do the winter overlay with the snow covered roofs....

TROR

Except you know they will probably still do the winter overlay with the snow covered roofs....
The castle roofs are designed with the old roofs. They don't go with the new paint scheme. I would be far more surprised if they did go with them than if they didn't just bring in a more minimalist overlay that was relegated to just wreaths, garlands, and trees.

Disney Analyst

The castle roofs are designed with the old roofs. They don't go with the new paint scheme. I would be far more surprised if they did go with them than if they didn't just bring in a more minimalist overlay that was relegated to just wreaths, garlands, and trees.

Also a good point, the old roofs would not match the new colour scheme... I also hope they find a new overlay this year/none even.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You're making the assumption they didn't create new (or will create new) snow covered roofs based on the new color scheme, I'm not making that assumption.

The snow covered roofs along with the other aspects of the winter castle overlay are a popular fixture during the winter celebration. So we'll have to see what they do this year. But I for one would be disappointed if they didn't do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom