News Sleeping Beauty's Castle to be refurbished

mickEblu

HOW DARE Di$$$$$neyland remove WALT'S CURBS, the eighth wonder of the world and a highlight of everyone who visits the park! I AM OUTRAGED that IG$$$$$ER WOULD DO THIS TO WALT'S PARK!!!

seriously though, not sure how i feel about the paint scheme just yet, looks a bit bold to me but maybe the castle looks better; the shaved curbs do look weird though, like there's supposed to be a curb there but there just.. isn't

Yeah losing the curbs is a bit decharming. Didn’t bother me as much in little areas in Town Square around the Emporium but losing them along whole outer ring of the hub? Bit of a bummer. I suppose it doesn’t matter after fireworks where one is trying to escape the hoards alive.

VJ

I can live with the “stone” colors but the blue on the turrets/ shingles is way too bright.
exactly. the brighter baby blue of the 2005 paintjob worked better, both with the other colors and overall; like i said, trying to reserve judgment until the castle is unveiled in its entirety though

Phroobar

It's very Minecraft.

01BJ91C.png

Weather_Lady

Yeah losing the curbs is a bit decharming. Didn’t bother me as much in little areas in Town Square around the Emporium but losing them along whole outer ring of the hub? Bit of a bummer. I suppose it doesn’t matter after fireworks where one is trying to escape the hoards alive.

I agree that the loss of the curbs takes away from the charm and feel of a "real street" ...and you're also exactly right as to the potential danger they posed. As someone who was pushed from a curb in the dark during the after-fireworks crush at a Disney park 15 years ago, I really appreciate that they've been removed. We were caught in a shoulder-to-shoulder crowd, and someone behind me shoved me forward, off of the edge of the curb. I went down so hard that I not only gave myself bruises that would last for weeks, but scraped a good chunk of skin from one knee. My husband hauled me up, and the surging crowd practically pushed us to the front gates, with blood coursing down my leg and soaking into my sock and sneaker as I choked back tears and daubed uselessly at my injury with a linty old Kleenex from my pocket. Definitely my klutziest and least magical Disney moment! While my pride was the thing most injured, I was a healthy and fit 20-something at the time, and had my husband there to quickly get me to my feet so I wouldn't get trampled. Had it happened to someone older and more fragile, the injuries could have been serious.

mickEblu

I agree that the loss of the curbs takes away from the charm and feel of a "real street" ...and you're also exactly right as to the potential danger they posed. As someone who was pushed from a curb in the dark during the after-fireworks crush at a Disney park 15 years ago, I really appreciate that they've been removed. We were caught in a shoulder-to-shoulder crowd, and someone behind me shoved me forward, off of the edge of the curb. I went down so hard that I not only gave myself bruises that would last for weeks, but scraped a good chunk of skin from one knee. My husband hauled me up, and the surging crowd practically pushed us to the front gates, with blood coursing down my leg and soaking into my sock and sneaker as I choked back tears and daubed uselessly at my injury with a linty old Kleenex from my pocket. Definitely my klutziest and least magical Disney moment! While my pride was the thing most injured, I was a healthy and fit 20-something at the time, and had my husband there to quickly get me to my feet so I wouldn't get trampled. Had it happened to someone older and more fragile, the injuries could have been serious.

Ouch!! Glad you made it out Ok!

And at least we still have the curbs on Main Street. I think change is happening so rapidly at Disneyland that I’m just starting to accept everything now. Of course, their are projects that will continue to get a rise out of me here and there.

Ismael Flores

The loss of curb does look odd but as long as they retain the curb in the central hub and main-street i think i can live with it. The design of the outer ring without any real urban structure around it can pass without the curbs.

Now all we need is for the giant rocks in tomorrowland side to be removed to open up the space

CraftyFox

I’m still a bit confused on the choice of a sandstone type color for the castle trim, I was expecting it to be more of an ivory. Still quite an improvement to the weird 2005 colors.

CraftyFox

Despite killing a little bit of realism, the removal of the curb is definitely a change for the better. Those curbs are the bane of my existence during the chaos when everyone is dispersing after a parade. I can’t count the number of times I’ve tripped on them in the crowded darkness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom