Skyway Station Area Redesign

Scuttle

Am I the only one that thinks new movies shouldn't be in FL? I feel like tangled (which was a good movie) would not fit in there. I mean you have 2 opening day rides and then this princess themed bathroom from a movie in 2010. I always felt FL was about storybook classics not modern digital animation. I dunno I might be thinking about this too much, maybe TDO will do a fantastic job.

NoChesterHester

Am I the only one that thinks new movies shouldn't be in FL? I feel like tangled (which was a good movie) would not fit in there. I mean you have 2 opening day rides and then this princess themed bathroom from a movie in 2010. I always felt FL was about storybook classics not modern digital animation. I dunno I might be thinking about this too much, maybe TDO will do a fantastic job.

I wish they would act faster to bring some more of the modern stories to life. 22 years after Little Mermaid is released we are finally getting a dark ride. Rapunzel was a huge hit. Still sell merchandise like crazy. Add it.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm kind of opposite. I think that new movies can work there, and i don't see why they shouldn't (Rapunzel IS a classic storybook tale regardless of being a new film). I feel she belongs in the parks, though i wasn't that overjoyed by the movie (i think it's fairly good but i have some issues with it, namely the ending i find underwhelming). As long as the movie doesn't outright suck, it can work if it fits with the theme. I think it'll be fine, especially since it sort of fits the decor.:animwink:

disneyWX

I'm trying to think about how I'd take it if I were the princess whose designated area of the park was the crapper :lol:

Since when were restroom areas character themed?? Feels like more shameless film propoganda to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved Princess & Frog (haven't seen Rapunzel) but I happen to think incorporating every new film release when-or-wherever possible in the parks isn't necessarily a quality decision :brick:

flavious27

Tangled is based on the storybook classic of Rapunzel, it isn't like the bathrooms are based on Princess Fiona.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Since when were restroom areas character themed?? Feels like more shameless film propoganda to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved Princess & Frog (haven't seen Rapunzel) but I happen to think incorporating every new film release when-or-wherever possible in the parks isn't necessarily a quality decision :brick:

Almost every attraction opening day at Disneyland represented some Disney show either past or in in production. :shrug:

djkidkaz

Sleeping Beauty castle was in Disneyland before the movie even hit theaters. So I don't think there is any problem with them adding this stuff in. I think its important for them to support their new movies in the parks as well.

COProgressFan

Actually, out in DL they have sort of an Alice-themed bathroom right near to the attraction.

But in this case, as long as the area fits in naturally, I don't think its a problem. If they were to shoehorn Tiana into the European village look of the rest of FL I think it wouldn't work, but Rapunzel should fit in nicely.

jt04

Who is saying they would be "character themed"? I think that is a conclusion you and others have come to with no rational basis. Likely the area will be themed rather than left blank with some shrubs and a few trees. The rumors are the area will have a theme which the decor in the bathrooms would reflect. But that does not mean they will have characters as part of the decor :lol: This is pretty much how it works everywhere on property and always has. They do not put every movie in the parks obviously but Tangled represents several milestones in addition to the fact that it fits the FL backstory quite well. If they were putting in a Ratatouille or a Cars 2 theme or something similar I could see your point.

Sometimes I wonder where reason has gone.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

You probably aren't the only one.

IMO, it's important to get the current stuff into the parks because it's what kids identify with. However, it should be measured, like adding a themed meet n greet, characters in the parade, a little tower like the current plan seems to have in it, or the Tiana riverboat show that ran temporarily when PatF opened. Then see what has staying power. The stuff that does maybe eventually gets a minor stage show (Tarzan rocks, Hunchback show), or new elements added to an attraction that can accomodate such (Nemo overlay to the Subs, adding Zazu/Iago to Tikis, e.g.). And finally, for the stuff that proves, after a period of time, to truly become recognized as a classic, you get a ride.

By that reckoning, they are on schedule with Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story and Lion King, went too fast with Stitch, Bug's Life, and Dinosaur, and might very well have moved a bit too fast with Monsters, Inc. and Cars (although based on my 2-year-old's reaction to Cars, I'm pretty confident that one is a keeper).

But that's just one view.

disneyWX

Who is saying they would be "character themed"? I think that is a conclusion you and others have come to with no rational basis. Likely the area will be themed rather than left blank with some shrubs and a few trees. The rumors are the area will have a theme which the decor in the bathrooms would reflect. But that does not mean they will have characters as part of the decor :lol: This is pretty much how it works everywhere on property and always has. They do not put every movie in the parks obviously but Tangled represents several milestones in addition to the fact that it fits the FL backstory quite well. If they were putting in a Ratatouille or a Cars 2 theme or something similar I could see your point.

Sometimes I wonder where reason has gone.

I'm simply commenting on others' speculation.

On second thought, if they follow the architectural design of the story it should work nicely. I was thinking of a more literal translation; not so much characters themselves, but references such as the flowing hair which entangles the M&G area in DL.

InLikeFlynn

We were at WDW when Tangled debuted, and I thought then the old Skyway area could be re-purposed well for the characters.

And should it really happen that it becomes both a restroom area and a meeting area for the characters (yes, characters, they better not take Flynn away for good!) then it would be perfectly fitting. If I am going to wait 3 hours in a character line, might as well have a potty nearby. :lol:

fngoofy

When DL opened, Sleeping Beauty had yet to come out but they gave us her castle. Snow White was the old lady on the block at 18 (for perspective, Toy Story is 13), Peter Pan was only 2, and Toad was only 6 years old.

Its all a matter of perspective.

juniorthomas

I don't think TDO thinks that way at all. It's less about age of a particular Disney character than it is about the story. If they can find a compelling way to bring a story to life, if it's a new story or an old one, they'll make it happen.

NoChesterHester

Hopefully they get moving on this. Seems like you can see a construction wall from any point in the back half of the park. NOT that I'm complaining that they are expanding, just wish some of it would wrap up so I can experience it. :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So what's the current status? Surely there's new news to convey a month post-demolition?? Let's have it :(

I am wondering if the next phase of the construction will require them to push the construction walls out further. If this is the case they may be waiting until after the summer to start this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom