Skyway Station Area Redesign

SeaCastle

Original Poster
No clue on when construction will commence, but the area around the Skyway station will be receiving some pretty radical changes to the area, per the plans I'm looking at now. I'm not sure what will happen thematic wise, but the changes include:

- Demolition of Skyway Station as we know it
- Construction of restrooms in its place (the Skyway Station won't be removed in its entirety, some of the foundations may be used for the new restrooms)
- Access to Liberty Square via the other side of the Yankee Trader
- Water features/creeks

I've attached a drawing of the new area here, with points of reference marked in red.

With new restrooms being built here, this may be the first phase in the revitalization of the area. The restrooms in the current location will be able to be gutted, probably used as part of the queue for Peter Pan's Flight.

Anyone got any insight as to what happens after that?

Attachments

• skywaystation.jpg
    skywaystation.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 3,217

Tom

Beta Return
No clue on when construction will commence, but the area around the Skyway station will be receiving some pretty radical changes to the area, per the plans I'm looking at now. I'm not sure what will happen thematic wise, but the changes include:

- Demolition of Skyway Station as we know it
- Construction of restrooms in its place (the Skyway Station won't be removed in its entirety, some of the foundations may be used for the new restrooms)
- Access to Liberty Square via the other side of the Yankee Trader
- Water features/creeks

I've attached a drawing of the new area here, with points of reference marked in red.

With new restrooms being built here, this may be the first phase in the revitalization of the area. The restrooms in the current location will be able to be gutted, probably used as part of the queue for Peter Pan's Flight.

Anyone got any insight as to what happens after that?

Excellent find good sir!

It is now quote obvious that they used the wrong address for the "Skyway Demolition" permit they filed last week.

Tom

Beta Return
Ahhhh....OK....We need a bigger picture so we can read the fine details! :D

The notes on these specific plans are only related to site work. The words you can't read in that thumbnail are EXTREMELY boring and uninteresting, unless you enjoy reading topographical maps and like to know what kind of end section a storm pipe will have.

But, if you're really into that, I'm sure some enhancement can be done. ;)

SeaCastle

Original Poster
Why does the art work say "WDWMagic.com permit Thread" ?

Because this discovery is brought to you fine folks by the co-contributor of the WDW Permit Thread...SeaCastle!

I figured it was worth attributing the discovery of the blueprints to WDWMagic, specifically the permit thread, where edwardtc and I are unearthing maps and surveys like this all of the time. I edited/cropped the original plans for reference.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's interesting that there is an access hallway behind each restroom wall to access plumbing for the toilets. (Never really thought about that before, but it makes sense.) I'm guessing the top larger restroom is the Ladies and the bottom smaller restroom is the Mens, and possibly a C.M. RR in between.

raven

Here's the thing: There are already bathrooms located directly across from this area already. :veryconfu

Tom

Beta Return
It's interesting that there is an access hallway behind each restroom wall to access plumbing for the toilets. (Never really thought about that before, but it makes sense.) I'm guessing the top larger restroom is the Ladies and the bottom smaller restroom is the Mens, and possibly a C.M. RR in between.

Likely correct on the Men vs Women. However, the rest of the rooms all have double doors except the pentagon by the mens, and it's too big to be a 1-hole, and too small and mis-shapen to be a multi-toilet restroom. One room will likely be the pump room for the new water features, and the others will be custodial and mechanical.

Here's the thing: There are already bathrooms located directly across from this area already. :veryconfu

It was hypothesized that they would become more queue for Peter Pan after these open. The Pan restrooms are highly undersized for today's crowd levels (as you are well aware) and are extremely hard to find.

Together with the new path behind traders, I welcome this work.

djkidkaz

I stared at that photo for quite some time and couldn't figure out what I was looking at or supposed to be seeing. :shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I stared at that photo for quite some time and couldn't figure out what I was looking at or supposed to be seeing. :shrug:

What you are looking at is a site plan. Kind of a cross between a topographical map and a blueprint.

The lighter curved lines are topographical lines denoting ground elevations. The closer the lines are together the steeper the hill, the further apart they are the more of a slight incline. There are also numbers by these lines denoting elevation. The darker solid straight lines represent architectural walls.

This evidently is a drainage plan, so a lot of the other stuff represents drainage plumbing stuff.

SeaCastle

Original Poster

When posting the plans, I had a difficult time finding a good way to crop them. It's also disorienting considering the area in the plans hasn't been accessible in years or is covered in vegetation.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom