Skycap tip at OIA

mrerk

Premium Member
My wife, self and 4yo flew into MCO a few weeks ago. We were collecting our luggage from baggage claim and just as we got the last piece a skycap showed up asking if we would like some assistance. We figured what the hay, why not. He loads our 2 bags, one carry on and the car seat on his cart and we are off for the rental car garage. We are Avis Preferred, so we don't have to wait at the counter, just straight to the garage. We get to the garage, get our keys and walk about 3 spaces from the booth to the car. He loads the luggage in the trunk and it is tip time. I flip him a twenty figuring all is good. He looked positively insulted! :mad: We are talking 10 maybe 15 minutes tops. Just wondering what you all think would have been an acceptable tip for the skycap.

miles1

I'm wondering if you got the same Psycho Skycap I met last fall, a large African American gentleman. This guy was so insulted that I politely turned down his help that he started screaming obscenities at me in the middle of the parking garage, with a dozen or so people (inlcuding kids) watching in horror. I sent in a report to OIA management, but who knows if anything happened.

I've always tipped about 2 bucks per bag in the past. I think he should have been very grateful for $20 unless you travel with enough bags for an army.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

I'm wondering if you got the same Psycho Skycap I met last fall, a large African American gentleman. This guy was so insulted that I politely turned down his help that he started screaming obscenities at me in the middle of the parking garage, with a dozen or so people (inlcuding kids) watching in horror. I sent in a report to OIA management, but who knows if anything happened.

I've always tipped about 2 bucks per bag in the past. I think he should have been very grateful for $20 unless you travel with enough bags for an army.

Sounds like the skycap we encountered last year at MCO. We got off the ME bus and a few skycaps came over to assist with bags. We indicated to one (who fits your description) that we would like his help and he put our 2 suitcases and one stroller on his cart. We then went up to the 3rd level to check in curbside for SW. It took all of 5 minutes. I handed him $10, and he looked down at his hand as if I had just handed him a pile of p00p. He continued to stare at it as the SW agent took our bags to check us in. I was very offended by his behavior and we haven't used the skycap service at MCO since.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

My wife, self and 4yo flew into MCO a few weeks ago. We were collecting our luggage from baggage claim and just as we got the last piece a skycap showed up asking if we would like some assistance. We figured what the hay, why not. He loads our 2 bags, one carry on and the car seat on his cart and we are off for the rental car garage. We are Avis Preferred, so we don't have to wait at the counter, just straight to the garage. We get to the garage, get our keys and walk about 3 spaces from the booth to the car. He loads the luggage in the trunk and it is tip time. I flip him a twenty figuring all is good. He looked positively insulted! :mad: We are talking 10 maybe 15 minutes tops. Just wondering what you all think would have been an acceptable tip for the skycap.

Are you sure he realized it was a $20 and not a single? $20 seems high to me. $10 seems more in line for 4 bags.

-dave

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Whoa!
That is not ok.

Upvote 0

Lucky

If they usually get more than $20, I'm in the wrong career. I could work one day a week handling bags at MCO and live it up the other 6 days at WDW.

Upvote 0

Mickey-Mommy

Depending on how much luggage we have, we usually tip $1-2 per bag plus like an extra $5 if they were very nice or exceptionally helpful. When we checked into our off-site resort last year we gave the guy a huge tip. He completely loaded the luggage cart, plus carried some bags in one hand. We drove down and were staying 2 weeks in this resort. We took WAY TOO MUCH STUFF! But he was good about it and said this would make his day easier since most of the other guests probably won't have so much luggage! Big tip he deserved!

Upvote 0

Bluewaves

Umm yea I would have smacked that guy, my wife and I got off of Magic Express on the way back to the airport, bus driver pulled off our bags and I gave him $5 for the 2 bags and he was happy for that.

The skycaps are so rude at most airports that I just plainly refuse to use them, they should be happy they get anything or have a job.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom