Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Dan Banner

Did your truck go outside or use the indoor storm bypass? That can mess with the length of the ride. From what I've heard the story is setup in certain parts of the queue with radio.

Our truck went outside but you're only outside for a few seconds literally. As for the radio going in the queue, it wasn't very loud and with people in line being so loud it was hard to hear/understand what was being said. But this was only during the outdoor section of the queue. Once you go inside no more radio and nothing referencing the story at all.

Mike S

Original Poster
Our truck went outside but you're only outside for a few seconds literally. As for the radio going in the queue, it wasn't very loud and with people in line being so loud it was hard to hear/understand what was being said. But this was only during the outdoor section of the queue. Once you go inside no more radio and nothing referencing the story at all.
Seems like something more akin to how IJA in DL sets up the story would've been better. Of course I already know the story from Universal's own released info on the Kong site so that element won't really affect me.

Dan Banner

Gringotts >>>>>> Kong. There's no comparison lol. Kong is awful. I wanted to like it obviously. I live here and watched it being built. I intended on going constantly for the next few months to ride it over and over and over. But it sucks. I waited over 2 hours for it. I wouldn't wait more than 10 minutes now knowing what it is.

Jwhee

Gringotts >>>>>> Kong. There's no comparison lol. Kong is awful. I wanted to like it obviously. I live here and watched it being built. I intended on going constantly for the next few months to ride it over and over and over. But it sucks. I waited over 2 hours for it. I wouldn't wait more than 10 minutes now knowing what it is.

Eh, I'd say Kong over Gringotts any day. Gringotts is just screens, and not as visually impressive or immersive IMO.

SJN1279

For me, the pacing of Gringott's is incredibly wonky. I think Kong just flows better.
I loved Kong 360 in Hollywood, so I'm happy it has made its way to Orlando. It sounds like Gringotts and Kong were both overhyped though. I still don't understand the 36 inch height limit, but oh well.

DisUniversal

Other people who have ridden have been praising it. This ride seems very divided like Gringotts.
I think the main reason it's a little disappointing is because of the high expectations Universal has set with other recent attractions. In either Universal park, I'd call it a 'D Ticket' ride. If it was in any of the 4 WDW parks, they'd have to create a new 'F Ticket' category for it. :)

Stripes

I think the main reason it's a little disappointing is because of the high expectations Universal has set with other recent attractions. In either Universal park, I'd call it a 'D Ticket' ride. If it was in any of the 4 WDW parks, they'd have to create a new 'F Ticket' category for it. :)
Yeah...no. I have A LOT of problems with this ride and things that left me scratching my head. That said, Kong is an E ticket...by a hair. The 360 and animatronic save this attraction big time (without one of the 2 I would put in on the level of 7DMT, TBH). F-ticket? Hahahaha, please don't make me laugh that hard again. Not even close.

Mike S

Original Poster
There are many ways to accomplish this - think Great Movie Ride and a little misdirection with some timed lighting cues.
Was the actual person in the Rex's mouth or was it something like this?
dinosaur.jpg

Also, who would've gotten us out of there after our driver bit the dust story wise?

Tom Morrow

I was initially on the fence about Gringotts but I grew to like it a lot after a few rides. Maybe the same will happen here. However, Gringotts has a few advantages over Kong;

- the screens take up your entire field of vision so its easier to immerse yourself in them.
- the way you rush through physical sets between screens is at least kind of thrilling
- two actual thrilling roller coaster moments (although there needed to be a third IMO)
- proper pre-show to set things up, and characters you care about (of course, people who hasn't seen the films or read the books will be lost)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom