Six Flags Magic Mountain Closed due to Wildfires & Freeway Closures

TP2000

Original Poster
Hi friends! Just heard on my radio that Six Flags Magic Mountain is closed and may not reopen on Saturday due to the wildfires and assorted freeway closures.

It's kind of a moot point anyway since you can't get to Magic Mountain really. The 5 Golden State Freeway is closed in all directions just past the 405 merge, and the 14 Antelope Valley Freeway is also closed at the Golden State merge.

It's a mess up there tonight!

The Santa Ana's have already died down here in OC, but are still blowing up north of LA and the fires themselves may take another day or two to get contained. A gentle breeze and 67 in Villa Park right now, but just 8% humidity. It's weather like this that makes our SoCal cars and patio furniture last for decades without any rust!

Prayers to the folks who have lost their lives, and many thanks to the firefighters and airmen spending the night protecting as many homes as they can. But I wouldn't try to get to Magic Mountain this weekend.

Darkbeer1

Seems like a lot of vehicles aren't on the road for a Holiday weekend, Drove from Anaheim to Leucadia without much of any issue tonight during rush hour.

It has been wild, had the TV on in the background last night/early this morning, scary stuff, the fires are a true show of force from Mother Nature.

Alas, Californians need to do more to prepare for these events. We have dropped the ball the last couple of decades. Clean out the brush, make fire breaks and do regular maintenance on our power lines. Heck, San Diego has been doing that for the last decade.

TP2000

Original Poster
Seems like a lot of vehicles aren't on the road for a Holiday weekend, Drove from Anaheim to Leucadia without much of any issue tonight during rush hour.

It has been wild, had the TV on in the background last night/early this morning, scary stuff, the fires are a true show of force from Mother Nature.

Alas, Californians need to do more to prepare for these events. We have dropped the ball the last couple of decades. Clean out the brush, make fire breaks and do regular maintenance on our power lines. Heck, San Diego has been doing that for the last decade.

Yes, San Diego County has been doing great work on fire prep. Los Angeles County, not so much.

But remember, it was about 15 years ago that San Diego had that horrific October fire that burned thousands of homes and took many lives in the suburbs just north of San Diego. That was the horrible event that made San Diego's local governments and electricity providers change their way of life and start using technology and good old fashioned sweat to clear out the brush, establish clear protocols, and invest in high tech safety systems. It really seems to have paid off for San Diego!

Los Angeles County and their various governments and utilities like the LA DWP haven't learned that lesson yet, it seems. Orange County, being in the middle of those two counties, seems to also be in the middle of being prepared.

SoCal Edison had the power ready to shut off to most of Villa Park last night, but it wasn't needed. I had my generator and emergency bar ice supply ready to go! But I haven't seen them do much work on clearing brush and establishing fire breaks under the high capacity lines in the eastern foothills or around the 241 freeway.

TP2000

Original Poster
Magic Mountain is scheduled to reopen on Sunday October 13th with its regular operating hours of 10am to 11pm.

The Golden State Freeway has been reopened in both directions through Santa Clarita and on up to the Grapevine.

Darkbeer1

>>The unlimited damages might not be so unlimited but for a change in air-quality regulations. In 2000, the California Air Resources Board adopted “Smoke Management” regulations that made it more difficult for private landowners and public agencies to conduct “prescribed burns,” those controlled, intentional fires that were used to remove fuel from the path of a potential wildfire. These firebreaks formerly limited the damage from the wildfires that are part of California’s natural history, giving firefighters an assist to achieve containment quickly.

Before leaving office, Gov. Jerry Brown signed Senate Bill 1260, which aimed to ease the regulatory burden on private landowners who sought permits for prescribed burns. That’s not enough. CARB’s smoke-management regulations should simply exempt prescribed burns conducted for the purpose of limiting potential wildfire damage.

That’s the most cost-effective and sensible solution to the long-term problem of limiting wildfire damage. The other options are all worse, like the one we’re seeing now, utility companies shutting off the electricity on windy days in order to ensure that their equipment doesn’t start any fires.<<

You can read more about this issue at any Southern California News Group website.

smooch

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but this whole power situation was crazy, my house was supposed to be part of the outage as well as basically everything around me, but then my house never lost power but almost every other house in my neighborhood did. My grocery stores all around town were basically empty because everyone was told the power outages could have lasted up to 5 days. I don't know what my point was in posting this I guess I just wanted to say I find the whole situation crazy especially considering how widespread the outage was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom