Six Flags article: How they want to emulate Disney

Iakona

Original Poster
I think this article and the comments by the new management team are very revealing.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/05/21/six_flags_embarks_on_a_new_adventure/?page=full

Six Flags embarks on a new adventure

After years of steep financial losses, the amusement park chain is changing its strategy to focus less on thrill rides and more on families to boost its bottom line

By B.J. Roche, Globe Correspondent | May 21, 2006
AGAWAM -- If you're planning a trip to Six Flags New England this summer, be prepared for the subtle and not-so-subtle effects of a corporate regime change.
Babies are in -- there's a new child-care center; cigarettes are out -- smoking is banned. There's no need to adjust the anti-anxiety meds for this year's two new rides; one of them, Splash Water Falls, is downright tame.
And fuggedabout Mister Six, the Junior Soprano lookalike with a bus who appeared in Six Flags commercials. He's stepping aside to make room for the Marvel Comics Justice League: Batman and Robin, the Flash, the Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman.
Six Flags visitors will be shaking more hands than a mayoral candidate with some two dozen characters, including the Looney Tuners, roaming the grounds. Add a daily parade, and Six Flags is not just your teenager's theme park anymore.
''We've been a company that's about hardware," said new chief executive Mark Shapiro, referring to its roller coasters. ''But we need to be more than that. Theme parks take you away from the everyday, and they recreate a sense of wonder."
''You're not checking your PDA. You're not checking your e-mail. You're walking around and you're escaping," he added. ''That's the experience you're going to have at Six Flags."
It's a strategy to turn the company around in this, its 45th anniversary year. Shapiro, the energetic, 36-year-old former ESPN programming whiz, took over Six Flags Inc. in December, after a bruising proxy fight for the company led by Washington Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder. Other changes include an expanded board of directors, which now includes movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and former vice presidential candidate Jack Kemp.
Shapiro quickly declared an end to the costly roller coaster ''arms race," emphasizing instead what he calls the ''DNA of the parks," entertainment, character interaction, maintenance, and customer service.
''I don't want to lose the teenager," Shapiro said on a recent tour of the Agawam park. ''But I don't think you ever make money on a $20 million roller coaster. We need to concentrate on families. I think we chased them away."
To large shareholders -- including Fidelity Investments and Bill Gates -- the change in leadership was welcome news. Over the past several years, operating losses reached the hundreds of millions, while the stock price plummeted. Six Flags Inc. operates 30 parks, including Six Flags New England. Overall, the chain attracts about 33.7 million visitors annually but faces more than $2 billion in debt.
In the first quarter of this year, overall revenue was down 14 percent to $42.7 million, compared with a year ago, and losses grew 35 percent to $241 million, largely because Easter vacation fell later this year. But one bright spot: Revenue per capita rose 13 percent to $37.13, a shift the company credits to its family focus.
Meanwhile, some parks are being sold off, and a Texas real estate firm is evaluating what to do with 3,500 acres of undeveloped land, estimated to be worth about $300 million. The company intends to cut $40 million off its capital costs, reduce its television advertising and marketing budget, and increase parking fees.
Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services, an industry consulting company, says previous management spent an ''exorbitant" amount on testosterone-fueled rides, like the Kingda Ka, a $20 million, 460-foot tall roller coaster at Great Adventure New Jersey, to draw teenagers at a time when consumer preferences were changing.
''They kept fostering this longer, higher, faster armaments war, and it didn't pay any dividends," Speigel said. ''People say, give us something besides roller coasters, give us the golden days of Disney, 'The Pirates of the Caribbean,' 'It's a Small World.' That's what's been lacking in the last four years."
Families are good business. They spend about 25 percent more than the $30 per day per person average at the regional parks, Speigel says, because they tend to stay longer, play more games, and eat more than teenagers, who generally visit parks under cheaper season passes.
Shapiro spent 12 years at ESPN, ending up as executive vice president for programming and production. His résumé includes two Peabody Awards and 16 Emmies, and in 2003, he was named a ''rising star" in Entertainment Weekly's list of the 101 Most Powerful People in Show Business.
At Six Flags, Shapiro is in the role of the turnaround guy, but he says his job is essentially the same as it was at ESPN: broadening the brand.
When he arrived at the sports-entertainment channel, the view-ership was predominantly male. By the time Shapiro left, entertainment-oriented sports programming helped bring the male audience on ESPN2 down to nearly 70 percent.
''We didn't lose any men. We just succeeded in getting more parents, more moms, more casual sports fans," he said.
Though it still has the trademark roller coasters and thrill rides, Six Flags New England also retains bits of its former life as Riverside Amusement Park, with its charmingly retro Main Street, which features games of chance housed in '50s-style storefronts like Fast Eddie's Diner.
The park, which became part of Six Flags in 2000, is among the largest seasonal employers in Western Massachusetts, with 100 full-time and 2,000 summer employees.
The company doesn't release individual park attendance figures, but Shapiro complained that the state could do more to help.
''We seriously lack signage on the highways," he said. ''If you haven't grown up here, you don't know where Six Flags is. We're getting obstacles from the state, and that's not the case in Atlanta, that's not the case in New Jersey. We can make a greater impact, but we need their help in promoting this park."
Paul Sacco, executive director of the Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism, says the state features Six Flags in all of its promotional materials, including the state getaway guides and websites. ''We do a lot with them," he said.
Shapiro's family focus naturally invites comparisons to Disney. He doesn't mind.
''I love Disney," he said. ''But at the same time, I know the hardship on the American consumer. The American family goes to Disney an average of 1.2 times in their lives. You've got to buy an airline ticket, car rental, hotel, expensive food when you get there, expensive merchandise.
''But most importantly, you've got to take time off work," he added. ''If instead, you can offer a similar experience for just a car ride away, more convenient, more affordable, that's what Six Flags is going to be."
Disney has another competitive advantage: warm weather. Six Flags New England, which is open weekends until Memorial Day, is among the last parks to open each year. In Queensbury, N.Y., near Lake George, Six Flags Great Escape has become a year-round destination with the addition of an indoor water park and hotel.
There are no such plans yet for Six Flags New England, Shapiro said: ''We want to fix what we have."

Buford

and it took them how long to figure that out? :D :D :D

I don't see them getting anywhere in the near future...... the brand images and reputations of the two are incomparable......

Expo_Seeker40

Well well well since I LIVE in the Queensbury, NY region... I can attest to this. This is where my Disney purist/traditionalism goes at eachother. So far that park is called The Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom. It amy be "flagged" in one to two years.

Many of use in the region have not recieved these changes well.

Yes landscaping, etc paint have all given the park a much needed facelift, but the great escape began as storytown USA. It predates disneyland by one year. It is one of the first theme parks in the world...it's themed to mother goose, or atleast it was.

It has a ghost town think fronteirland, and used to have jungleland think adventureland now looney tunes national park.

We've recieved no new attractions within the park this year except for some character meet and greets and a parade.

The parkinglot which used to be a baren field is now paved, but for 10 dollars!!! It was originally 5 as proposed, and it is so uneven in areas that many find it difficult to get around.

The hotel is amazing, but it;s waterpark is more or less a copy of the one in the GE itself, with unique slides to the indoor waterpark though. Residents are not allowed in the park during the off season which I can understand, but it;s a bummer since only hotel guests are allowed in there. :p

Six Flags New England is imfamous for having two wooden rollercoasters cyclone and thunderbolt to be left in cosmetic ruin. Great Escapes famous comet rollercoaster is already showing again signs of wear and tear, and was not oiled for the season.

The great escape is in a melting pot of ideas and realities that need to be better sorted out.

The park closes early in the summer because of complaints of nearby residents.

It is mostly a kiddie park with about a 100 acres of land still undeveloped. It actually has a cinderella character. But the days of seeing little red riding hood and others are sadly long gone.

I mean I do hope for the best for this park, but if it is to become the posterchild for the new six flags, it is going very slowly.

Enderikari

Six Flags is starting to do really well... They have been looking at Disney for hiring as well. One of my favorite cast members, a manager, was hired into Six Flags corporate, and it looks like its already starting to shine.

Computer Magic

I remember going to Great America (now Six Flags) in WI. Back then it seemed more child friendly (at least for me being a child). I met all the Looney Tunes characters and rode all rides.

Once Six Flags bought the park, it wasn't the same. I no longer go to Six Flags and it's only a 2 hour drive.

Richie248

Expo_Seeker40 said:
Well well well since I LIVE in the Queensbury, NY region... I can attest to this. This is where my Disney purist/traditionalism goes at eachother. So far that park is called The Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom. It amy be "flagged" in one to two years.

Many of use in the region have not recieved these changes well.

Yes landscaping, etc paint have all given the park a much needed facelift, but the great escape began as storytown USA. It predates disneyland by one year. It is one of the first theme parks in the world...it's themed to mother goose, or atleast it was.

It has a ghost town think fronteirland, and used to have jungleland think adventureland now looney tunes national park.

We've recieved no new attractions within the park this year except for some character meet and greets and a parade.

The parkinglot which used to be a baren field is now paved, but for 10 dollars!!! It was originally 5 as proposed, and it is so uneven in areas that many find it difficult to get around.

The hotel is amazing, but it;s waterpark is more or less a copy of the one in the GE itself, with unique slides to the indoor waterpark though. Residents are not allowed in the park during the off season which I can understand, but it;s a bummer since only hotel guests are allowed in there. :p

Six Flags New England is imfamous for having two wooden rollercoasters cyclone and thunderbolt to be left in cosmetic ruin. Great Escapes famous comet rollercoaster is already showing again signs of wear and tear, and was not oiled for the season.

The great escape is in a melting pot of ideas and realities that need to be better sorted out.

The park closes early in the summer because of complaints of nearby residents.

It is mostly a kiddie park with about a 100 acres of land still undeveloped. It actually has a cinderella character. But the days of seeing little red riding hood and others are sadly long gone.

I mean I do hope for the best for this park, but if it is to become the posterchild for the new six flags, it is going very slowly.

Hey I'm also in Upstate New York and I miss the old Great Escape. My family and I used to go here all the time, but now I find the place to be cookie cutter and bland. The crowds are full of unruley teenagers and you hear swear words on every corner you turn. Of course nothing beats Disney, but The Great Escape is better than nothing!!!

Epcot82Guy

Computer Magic said:
I remember going to Great America (now Six Flags) in WI. Back then it seemed more child friendly (at least for me being a child). I met all the Looney Tunes characters and rode all rides.

Once Six Flags bought the park, it wasn't the same. I no longer go to Six Flags and it's only a 2 hour drive.

Technically, SFGAm is in Gurnee, IL, but minor point. I agree that the Six Flags development took away from what Great America was. Although, I would say the major changes didn't happen until the early-to-mid nineties, mostly the time Cedar Point started building the BIG mega coasters. There was a model for both of letting the rides speak instead of customer service. I think Six Flags can rebound, but it will take some time and effort.

Kadee

I am 5 hours away from Atlanta (Six Flags over Georgia) and 3 hours from the one they put in New Orleans. I'm not sure of the fate of the N.O. park, but in any case, I wasn't thrilled with it. I only went once and do not plan to go back. The one in Atlanta is just too geared toward teens (just like the article said). I hope they succeed in making their parks more "family friendly" because that is the only way I would ever even think of going back.

Computer Magic

Epcot82Guy said:
Technically, SFGAm is in Gurnee, IL, but minor point.
You are correct...Just don't cross the street and you'll stay out of WI....As you can tell, I don't travel that way anymore.

Sounds like Six Flags went the wrong direction following Cedar Point, instead of continuing the Great America (more Disney) ways.

OliveMcFly

No one will ever come close to being what Disney is. Although, I really like the smoking ban. Great idea! Oh, and the average family gets to Disney 1.2 times in thier lives? Am I reading that right? It just seems like a small number.

Kadee

DisneyGrl85 said:
No one will ever come close to being what Disney is. Although, I really like the smoking ban. Great idea! Oh, and the average family gets to Disney 1.2 times in thier lives? Am I reading that right? It just seems like a small number.

I was shocked at the low number, too, but I guess those of us on here are not the average family. I've been 5 times (6th time in July:sohappy: ) but I know many people who have only been once and do not plan to go back. I know more than that who have never been and will probably never go. I didn't go until I was 20. Most of my family have never been.

OliveMcFly

I just turned 24 and next months trip will be my 16th, I was first there when I was 3, so I was surprised by the number too. My nephew, who will be 3 dec 22, will go on his third WDW trip dec 06. I guess we're just not average. LOL

ssidiouss@mac.c

SIX FLAGGS ROLFMLO!!@!!11

Umm.. the main problem to me with the place.. especially the one in NJ.. is that its loaded with riff raff.

So.. anything they do would be useless to me unless they double or triple the park admissions to price out the unfavorables.. oh and they have to stop all the dam stupid coupons!!!!

Nothing like standing next to 15 kids from new york with their shirts offs cursing and screaming who all got into the park free because they have some can of coke that lets you in free.

Im never going back to six flaggs.

OliveMcFly

ssidiouss@mac.c - Nothing like standing next to 15 kids from new york with their shirts offs cursing and screaming who all got into the park free because they have some can of coke that lets you in free.
Omg, that's halarious and so true.
I've only been to Six Flags once, the one in NJ as well. We went in July I think and there were like 5 rides open and I didn't see one single character. I will never go back.

kennygman

Kadee said:
I was shocked at the low number, too, but I guess those of us on here are not the average family. I've been 5 times (6th time in July:sohappy: ) but I know many people who have only been once and do not plan to go back. I know more than that who have never been and will probably never go. I didn't go until I was 20. Most of my family have never been.

We're about to go for the 8th time ourselves.

Did anyone catch this, "and increase parking fees."

That sure makes me want to take my family. LOL.
I took my kids for a day to Fiesta Texas and it did look a lot better than ever before and kids liked seeing characters. Parade was a JOKE though.

T-1MILLION

Did anyone else notice that it says Marvel Comics: Justice league? The Justice League and the characters listed are owned by D.C. comics, not Marvel comics. I thought maybe that was a mess up in the editing room...anyway
I just thought that was odd.

lilphil6487

Its about time. I love roller coasters but i think there are way too many and they need to focus on other aspects of the park. Family rides would be great. They also gotta stop adding a whole ton of kid's sections too. At six flags here in new jersey, we got looney tunes seaport, bugs bunny national park, and the golden kingdom, then we got lots an lots of roller coasters like nitro, superman, batman, the chiller, medusa, and kingda ka( which was a big big waste of money cuz the ride is barely ever open cuz it breaks down so much from hours to weeks, like right now). I like the focus on family rides. Not kids, not big thrills, but in between. It would be great to have things similar to disney rides. Hopefully it will draw a different crowd too. Im not trying to offend anyone but when i go to great adventure sometimes i wish a was wearing a bulletproof vest. the only thing im not looking forward to is the raised parking prices. the parking is already expensive. i dont wanna pay more than $10. i woul probably buy a season parking pass for $30 and save more money. anyway. everything sounds good. six flags will never compare to disney, but i sure hope this disney influence works out for six flags cuz it need help badly.

Expo_Seeker40

Narna Dreamland is one step above The great escape when one can experience a sadistic magic kingdom.

Come sit in cindy's pumpkin around the 8 ft tall castle while a wonder woman meet n; greet is happening right next door.

I only go the great escape twice a year now off of coupons thank god because I have more "magical memories'' of yesteryear than I do spening 40 or so dollars to expereince the "sadistic kingdom" of new york.

It is like a disneyland with it;s hotel, but with no monorail. :hammer:

aeillill

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
SIX FLAGGS ROLFMLO!!@!!11

Umm.. the main problem to me with the place.. especially the one in NJ.. is that its loaded with riff raff. .

That is so true! i doubt there is really anything they can do to completely get rid of these kind of people. But they're not getting my money any more often then once every 2 years until they do something thing about this. The move towards more family friendly rides would be a nice change though. I would also recommend improving the restaurants quality and choices they have. The food there is some of the worst food I've ever taster, it's worse then cafeteria food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom