Since this is Chit-Chat, lets talk Insurance.

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
My insurance needs are pretty small. I rent now having sold my home and downsized. My health care is taken care of by the VA, so I only have Medicare, which I have yet to use, and don't need all the extras. I do, however, have a car and it's giving me fits.

I got my drivers license in 1964, 50 years if your counting, and during that time I have had zero accidents, only one traffic violation (70 on an interstate after President Peanut Farmer lowered the speed limits to 55). For a number of those years I was a professional driver (bus and truck) on the road all day long. In short, the only claim I have had on my insurance is a damaged windshield from a rock thrown up from the highway.

Now I have a car that I love and don't want to get rid of, but, it's now 8 years old, but in perfect condition. Every year my insurance rate goes up and up. I have been insured through AARP, which is supposed to be a good deal but this year I have been shopping around. I have found exact coverage for $200.00 per year less then I am paying now, with exactly the same coverage. It is with Progressive (you know Flo's place).

My question is does anyone currently have Progressive and if so, what has been your experience? Have there been any problem? Is the service good? I have always been of the thought that you get what you pay for, but, frankly I don't trust insurance companies to care about me. You many times get better deals signing up, but, then get the old double shuffle and BAM, you're paying through the nose. I also realize that when you are an established customer they never give you a break in rates, just the new signers.

I know this is pretty long winded, and I'm almost ready to switch, but, I am looking for input of experiences. Thanks. What say you?

Nemo14

I don't know much about Progressive. We've been with Amica for many years, and we love them. Their rates are higher than some, but you do get rebates every year, which helps. We like them for their service, which is what really counts in the long run. We haven't had any major claims, but the little things we've had to deal with have been handled promptly and professionally.

just my 2 cents...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would recommend that if you are in a position to shop not just based on price that you find yourself a good independent agent that has been established (around for a while). You may pay a bit more than say through internet companies, but should you ever need it, you have a person that should be able to help. This person will take your info and find you the best rate for the service level you want should you have a claim.

First question I would ask the agent when he recommends a company is "Do they have company adjusters or Independent Adjusters?" If they say Independent Adjusters, pass and ask for a company who handles it's claims with company staff. Reason? Most insurance companies have customer satisfaction results as a part of performance evaluations. Independent Adjusters don't have this element of evaluation to balance their approach to your claim.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My insurance needs are pretty small. I rent now having sold my home and downsized. My health care is taken care of by the VA, so I only have Medicare, which I have yet to use, and don't need all the extras. I do, however, have a car and it's giving me fits.

I got my drivers license in 1964, 50 years if your counting, and during that time I have had zero accidents, only one traffic violation (70 on an interstate after President Peanut Farmer lowered the speed limits to 55). For a number of those years I was a professional driver (bus and truck) on the road all day long. In short, the only claim I have had on my insurance is a damaged windshield from a rock thrown up from the highway.

Nothing that long ago will matter. They will pull a 3 or 5 year MVR every time. For Standard carriers, they will also likely pull your credit report or at least CLUE (or both). CLUE is a 7 year report of your personal property claims (not just auto, but all property and casualty in many cases) and will also have records of your premium payment history to prior companies.

My point is, based on what you've said, I wouldn't worry about that. It won't factor.

Now I have a car that I love and don't want to get rid of, but, it's now 8 years old, but in perfect condition. Every year my insurance rate goes up and up. I have been insured through AARP, which is supposed to be a good deal but this year I have been shopping around. I have found exact coverage for $200.00 per year less then I am paying now, with exactly the same coverage. It is with Progressive (you know Flo's place).

Your rates are going up because the P&C market is hardening. Rates are going up in pretty much every market.

My question is does anyone currently have Progressive and if so, what has been your experience?

In general, they are an excellent carrier to have.

Have there been any problem?

Problems such as? As long as your policy covers your claim, Progressive is very good about paying out with little hassle.

Is the service good?

Directly? Yes. Licensed Progressive Agents (like the guy down the street with the big sign that says "Insurance" and the sticker in the window that says "low down payment")...yeah, that varies. Agents don't really handle much anyhow. Their job is to consult what coverages you need and accept payments on behalf of the insurance company. Progressive (unlike Nationwide and State Farm) do not have "captive agents". Meaning, a licensed Progressive Agent is just as likely a contractor appointed by Progressive, and not a representative of the company. My advice? Buy direct. If you do want to support a local business, you'll get the same exact rates as you will if you buy direct, but after setting up the policy, I'd do all my interactions directly with the company.

I have always been of the thought that you get what you pay for, but, frankly I don't trust insurance companies to care about me. You many times get better deals signing up, but, then get the old double shuffle and BAM, you're paying through the nose. I also realize that when you are an established customer they never give you a break in rates, just the new signers.

Insurance can't do that. The rates are filed with the state, and the same thing you buy from one person is the exact same deal you'll get across the street. It is a controlled market. Now, where you will see rates go up, it's not a "marketing scheme"...it's because upon renewal, between inception of your policy and renewal date, the carrier has increased rates in the market.

Progressive tends to be middle of the road with their pricing, and is very financially stable. I'd trust them.

I know this is pretty long winded, and I'm almost ready to switch, but, I am looking for input of experiences. Thanks. What say you?

Insurance is what I do. Specifically THIS type of insurance. My company represents around 30 different carriers (Progressive is one of them).

We are also appointed in North Kakalaki, if you have a query, feel free to reach out. I'd have to run it by a licenced agent though. Even though I have all the same education and training they do (I have to in order to do my job), I do not write policies all day so I don't watch rates the way they do, and I am not licensed myself (intentionally...I wanna be the IT guy, not roped into writing policies!).

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
I don't know much about Progressive. We've been with Amica for many years, and we love them. Their rates are higher than some, but you do get rebates every year, which helps. We like them for their service, which is what really counts in the long run. We haven't had any major claims, but the little things we've had to deal with have been handled promptly and professionally.

just my 2 cents...
My current insurance has a good reputation, which is why I'm asking the question. I have had almost no experience in claims with them, so I don't really know how they will react should I need it. It's just easier to stay with what you already have then to change, I guess. Thanks for the input.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I would recommend that if you are in a position to shop not just based on price that you find yourself a good independent agent that has been established (around for a while).
I can't stress this part more. They shouldn't just be "nice people"...

If their schtick during the sales process FEELS like a sales process, that means they are probably floating high margin add-ons to your policy.

If it feels like an interview, discussing your needs and situations, as well as your fiscal tolerance for losses (specifically when discussing limits and deductibles), you are "in good hands" (chuckles at his own insurance joke).

Remember, state minimums don't protect you or your property in any way, and the term "full coverage" means, to an agent, slap on as much as I can (though, is generally understood as comp and coll coverage).

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My current insurance has a good reputation, which is why I'm asking the question. I have had almost no experience in claims with them, so I don't really know how they will react should I need it. It's just easier to stay with what you already have then to change, I guess. Thanks for the input.
If you are ex-military, have you checked with USAA? They carry excellent rates.

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
@englanddg I was hoping that you would jump in there. I guess my main concern is that after the first 6 months I'm going to get hit with a massive increase. $200.00 seems like a lot of difference especially when the only one close to it is Geico. All the others are in the ball park with my current policy, some higher, some slightly lower. (i.e. State Farm, Allstate, etc.)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
@englanddg I was hoping that you would jump in there. I guess my main concern is that after the first 6 months I'm going to get hit with a massive increase. $200.00 seems like a lot of difference especially when the only one close to it is Geico. All the others are in the ball park with my current policy, some higher, some slightly lower. (i.e. State Farm, Allstate, etc.)
Too bad it's after 10p or I'd have you contact our call center and run a quote through us. I don't care if we got your business (not fishing, not advertising, and I won't publicly say who we are here)...however, I can tell you if you are getting a good deal. I can run a rate for you if you like, but I'd need info (which should not be shared here)...I am the IT guy. I know and see all, and have access to everything! MWAHAHAHA!

I will say this. Geico, Allstate, State Farm, Nationwide, Progressive...all excellent companies. You really can't go wrong with any of them as long as you take the quoting process seriously. They are all large enough that they aren't going to quibble over a small or even medium sized claim.

But, in my experience, USAA is hands down the tops in service at middle of the road rates. I won't leave them.

Heck, I don't even own a car, and I have an auto policy (non-owners) with them to cover rental cars. Costs me $129 a year.

We insure all our company vehicles with Progressive, because (outside of possibly Travelers) of all the companies we represent, they have the easiest claims process. The car I drive during winter (like now) is insured with them.

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
I can't stress this part more. They shouldn't just be "nice people"...

If their schtick during the sales process FEELS like a sales process, that means they are probably floating high margin add-ons to your policy.

If it feels like an interview, discussing your needs and situations, as well as your fiscal tolerance for losses (specifically when discussing limits and deductibles), you are "in good hands" (chuckles at his own insurance joke).

Remember, state minimums don't protect you or your property in any way, and the term "full coverage" means, to an agent, slap on as much as I can (though, is generally understood as comp and coll coverage).
I'm pretty specific about what coverage I want. I am probably higher then average, I wouldn't even consider the minimum state guideline. Like I said, I have an eight year old car that has been paid off for quite a while. It is a more expensive model and has retained a fairly good resale value so I carry comp and coll at a medium level.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
As a side note, Geico's "10 - 15% or more" marketing schtick comes from the fact that the average commission for a policy to be paid to an agent is 10 - 15%. What they did (smart model, some others, like esurance (now owned by Nationwide) did the same, shoving everything into call centers filled with subagents and only a few licensed agents on premises at one time to endorse / bind the policy for compliance.

They quite literally "cut out the middle man".

Progressive, on average, pays 10% on renewals, 12% on new (depending on the size of your book, but it better be pretty darned large if you are going to demand more from them!)...

If you purchase direct, they factor this into their internal compensation plan (not sure of the details there). However, if you are appointed, they pay it out.

The rate you get from their website or over the phone is the EXACT same rate the guy down the street who is appointed by them will quote you.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'd certainly run a quote through USAA...if you are looking for ease during a potential claims situation.

If you want stories? Ok. My ex, driving on a suspended license (unpaid speeding ticket) got t-boned by a pizza delivery driver coming home from church one day. It was my vehicle. She was not a listed driver on my policy. Nor was my garaging address updated on the policy (I had moved recently).

USAA didn't even bat an eye. They paid all her medical bills, lost income (she wasn't able to work at the Montessori she taught at), all the kids medical bills, the medical transport the police demanded they take (which cost close to 2k for 1/4 mile drive...?), and totaled my 2001 Sebring Convertable and paid me blue book value Very Good value for it (which was fair).

Even after that claim, my rates did not increase.

Another time, my 1996 Dodge Neon caught fire in a parking lot with me sleeping in it (I was on a road trip). They totaled the vehicle, paid within a few weeks, blue book excellent value rate.

I am so pleased with them. But, granted, I've been with them since I was 15...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom