Silver Lake Resort or Vacation Village at Parkway

RememberWhen

Original Poster
We’re looking at these two resorts through RCI and wondering if anyone had any recent experience. When I searched the threads that came up we’re several years old.

Vacation Village at Parkway seems like the better choice, but I’d love to hear opinions.

We would be there 3 nights at the end of December after a week near Cape Canaveral to check out KSC for a couple days.

We’re 2 adults and 2 kids (DS7.5 and DD2.5). We’re WDW veterans, pseudo DVC people (my mom is in the process of adding me and my sisters to her contract) and have never been to Florida to not do Disney. Ever. But we thought it might be fun. Chances are pretty good if we’re nearby we’ll do a day at Disney and/or some ADRs outside the parks.

So anything folks might think could be useful I’d love to hear!

RememberWhen

Original Poster
One advantage Silver Lake has is that it's right on the "secret side entrance" to Disney property, Sherberth Rd. You're on WDW property in under a minute and you avoid the headache of 192 entirely.

-Rob
Thanks Rob!
We’ve booked an ADR for Hoop Dee Doo, our family favorite. Still not sure about a day in the MK or not. It’s so hard not to. But we’ll be there next July, so we’re not sure we *need* to. If the space restaurant opens and I can get an ADR (two big ifs) we’ll try for a day at Epcot.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
We didn’t end up actually going to Disney, but did end up on Disney property a few times. The back entrance near Animal Kingdom was great! The kids liked the pool and the pool bar food. I wasn’t impressed with the game room. It was expensive and dirty. But we had a good time. The room was fine. No DVC villa, but fine. And we went to Cape May for a late breakfast (rode the skyliner, checked out the decorations, played at the arcade, rode the boat and had ice cream) and went to hoop dee doo.
All in all it was a good experience. We’re looking at possibly staying there again in December 2020.

TamaraQT

I am considering trying Silver Lake one day. I am going to be a new RCI member soon and hopefully if all goes well, I will have 2 weeks per year to trade into a 2 bedroom unit in Orlando. I would like to stay for the entire month of August so I am also looking forward to the use of "getaways" thru RCI to use to extend our stay. I would definitely consider a getaway price to stay at Silver Lake. I have seen YouTube videos from guests and I think my family would enjoy it too. @RememberWhen I am glad you had a very nice time!!!

RememberWhen

Original Poster
I am considering trying Silver Lake one day. I am going to be a new RCI member soon and hopefully if all goes well, I will have 2 weeks per year to trade into a 2 bedroom unit in Orlando. I would like to stay for the entire month of August so I am also looking forward to the use of "getaways" thru RCI to use to extend our stay. I would definitely consider a getaway price to stay at Silver Lake. I have seen YouTube videos from guests and I think my family would enjoy it too. @RememberWhen I am glad you had a very nice time!!!
I would definitely try it for a week before committing to a longer trip there. And don’t bother with the time share talk. The food was awful and they were pretty pushy despite our clearly stating we were just there for the gift card.

TamaraQT

I would definitely try it for a week before committing to a longer trip there. And don’t bother with the time share talk. The food was awful and they were pretty pushy despite our clearly stating we were just there for the gift card.
I am a member of TUG so I am very familiar with the timeshare sales pitches. Currently, I am in the process of purchasing a timeshare on resale market off eBay. I used to own a timeshare but found it cheaper to rent from owners than to pay annual maintenance fees so I gave it up. Since we usually stay for 2 weeks, we stay at different resorts each week. Each Saturday, we check-in to a new resort. It's like starting vacation all over again. With all those resorts in Orlando, there is no need to limit yourself to just one if staying for more than a week. Our favorite combo is Westgate Vacation Villas for 7 nights, and then move to Orange Lake resort for 7 nights.
Since we have extended our Orlando vacations from 1 week to 3 weeks, I decided to go back into timeshare ownership. I found a resort in Virginia that trades well into Orlando and the annual maintenance fees are in the same range or less than I would pay to rent. I will also get 2 weeks of vacation from my purchase as it's a 4 bedroom unit that can be traded/split into two- 2 bedrooms units. So I will get 2 weeks of vacation for the cost of 1 year of maintenance fees. Also I am looking forward to becoming an RCI member to have 'extra vacation certificates" and "getaways" to look forward to. Put them all together and I will be able to stay in Orlando for the entire month of August for a price far less than what some people pay to stay at a moderate Disney hotel for a week or less. I have stayed onsite at Disney and I am not a fan , nor impressed. I disliked coming back to a basic hotel room as I prefer the space of having a full condo. For the cost Disney charges per night, I need to have more comfort and use of the room than just to sleep and shower. I hope I will be able to go next year. We haven't been since 2018 and we REALLY miss Orlando!!!

RememberWhen

Original Poster
I am a member of TUG so I am very familiar with the timeshare sales pitches. Currently, I am in the process of purchasing a timeshare on resale market off eBay. I used to own a timeshare but found it cheaper to rent from owners than to pay annual maintenance fees so I gave it up. Since we usually stay for 2 weeks, we stay at different resorts each week. Each Saturday, we check-in to a new resort. It's like starting vacation all over again. With all those resorts in Orlando, there is no need to limit yourself to just one if staying for more than a week. Our favorite combo is Westgate Vacation Villas for 7 nights, and then move to Orange Lake resort for 7 nights.
Since we have extended our Orlando vacations from 1 week to 3 weeks, I decided to go back into timeshare ownership. I found a resort in Virginia that trades well into Orlando and the annual maintenance fees are in the same range or less than I would pay to rent. I will also get 2 weeks of vacation from my purchase as it's a 4 bedroom unit that can be traded/split into two- 2 bedrooms units. So I will get 2 weeks of vacation for the cost of 1 year of maintenance fees. Also I am looking forward to becoming an RCI member to have 'extra vacation certificates" and "getaways" to look forward to. Put them all together and I will be able to stay in Orlando for the entire month of August for a price far less than what some people pay to stay at a moderate Disney hotel for a week or less. I have stayed onsite at Disney and I am not a fan , nor impressed. I disliked coming back to a basic hotel room as I prefer the space of having a full condo. For the cost Disney charges per night, I need to have more comfort and use of the room than just to sleep and shower. I hope I will be able to go next year. We haven't been since 2018 and we REALLY miss Orlando!!!
If you have RCI, you can sometimes trade into DVC. Saratoga and Key West are the usuals, but others will pop up occasionally. The DVC rooms are condo-like. 1 bedrooms (which is what you’re likely to find on RCI) will have a full kitchen and washer/dryer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom