Signature restaurants worth that extra credit

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Hey there hi there ho there...

Looking at this thread
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/is-le-cellier-worth-it.946223/

Some people are saying essentially Le Cellier is good but not necessarily 2-credits-on-the-dining-plan good. And it made me think - out of all the 2 credit Signature restaurants, which of them do you think is worth the 2 credits and which of them, were you to eat there, would be an out-of-pocket experience?

Just curious, don't know if I'll ever get the dining plan again. We're doing TiW next trip. We've often done the Deluxe Dining Plan, but my oldest just turned 10 this month, no way she has an "adult" appetite, so that means fewer prix fixe prices and buffets for us.

When the new Be Our Guest menu came out my wife and I both thought it might have been worth it were both our kids still under 10. But now, the 20% discount from TiW makes more sense to us.

But I still think California Grill is worth 2 credits, both for the prices you pay and the quality you get.
Hoop De Doo is worth it because let's face it, it's dinner and a show, and if you enjoy booze, you get your beer and sangria included.

Which restaurants do you think are worth 2 credits?

zurgandfriend

I agree with the California Grill, it has good food, great views and nice atmosphere. IMHO, the Yachtsman Steakhouse, the Boathouse, Citrico’s, Flying Fish, Jiko’s, Monsieur Paul, Narcoosee’s, and the Blue Zoo are all worth two credits. Victoria and Albert's is worth three credits.

We tried Artist Point twice and had a bad experience each time so I say not worth it, other will disagree I am sure. I love the old Hollywood atmosphere at the Brown Derby but again not worth two credits neither is Le Cellier nor Cinderella’s Royal Table.

I believe there are other signature restaurants but I cannot think of their names right now, memory is the second thing to go.

ABQ

I'm going to agree with most said above by @zurgandfriend . Though the food at Cali is great, I've become a grumpy person, I guess and can't take the very loud atmosphere. Unless I get in the back room overlooking Bay Lake, which though a nice view, isn't what people typically go up there for, I had trouble communicating with my family at a table for 4 and had to shout to each other. To me, for the price point, that's not a good thing.
I will add, if you're getting the awesome seafood boil, Paddlefish is worth 3 credits, as they do not skimp on that dish.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
We tried Artist Point twice and had a bad experience each time so I say not worth it, other will disagree I am sure. I love the old Hollywood atmosphere at the Brown Derby but again not worth two credits neither is Le Cellier nor Cinderella’s Royal Table.

Only ever ate at Artist Point once, before my wife and I had kids, and we always talked about going back because we both thought it was awesome, we just concentrated mostly on the places we thought the kids would like with the exception of Cali Grill (I know some people think every minute of every vacation should be centered on the whims of the kids, but I guess we're bad parents like that). But we've been seeing/hearing/reading a lot of "not what it used to be" Artist Point comments. Bummer.

Hockey89

Only ever ate at Artist Point once, before my wife and I had kids, and we always talked about going back because we both thought it was awesome, we just concentrated mostly on the places we thought the kids would like with the exception of Cali Grill (I know some people think every minute of every vacation should be centered on the whims of the kids, but I guess we're bad parents like that). But we've been seeing/hearing/reading a lot of "not what it used to be" Artist Point comments. Bummer.
We had a couple really good meals but the last few times it was blah at best.... Has been removed from the list.... Plus, the wine list was not up to par.

crxbrett

Makes me sad that Artist Point may not be what it used to be. I only went once, way back in 2008, but it was one of the best meals I had that trip. I do want to go back at some point, but too many negative or mediocre reviews of late have led me to steer clear.

belledream

I thought places like Tiffins and Brown Derby were worth 2 credits on the RoL/F! packages where you get the extra appetizer thrown in. There's a lot of variety to choose from in those, and all of the ones we tried have been a delicious addition to a great meal.

Outside the parks, I agree with Yachtsman and California Grill. It's been a while, but when we went to Artist Point, the food was good, we enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere, but I remember leaving hungry (a rare occurrence) and am in no hurry to return really.

Phonedave

I don't do DDP, so take my opinion for what it is worth.

I don't think ANY place is worth 2 credits.

For a place to be worth 2 credits it needs to have twice as much value as a 1 credit place. I don't think any of the signatures are worth double what a regular place "costs".

When I went back in January, we got the DDP. We ate at the Yachtsmans,California Grill,Artist Point and Le Cellier. In the past I have also eaten at Narcoosees. My favorite was the Yachtsman. The food was amazing. I also liked the California grill because of the amount of food.
Even though I enjoyed the AP and Le Cellier, I probably wouldn't eat at these places again. Narcoosees is all about the view, in my opinion. The portions were horrible, but watching the MK fireworks from the deck was amazing.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
I don't do DDP, so take my opinion for what it is worth.

I don't think ANY place is worth 2 credits.

For a place to be worth 2 credits it needs to have twice as much value as a 1 credit place. I don't think any of the signatures are worth double what a regular place "costs".

I'm not trying to be snarky (and knowing me like I know me, I can understand if you find that hard to believe), but I'm not sure if you're talking about "cost" - how much the dining plan costs and what the cost of your meal would cost to justify some break-even price - or if you're talking about "value" - how much you have to pay for those meals and whether or not you can justify it as "worth it."

I won't get into value because that's purely subjective, everyone's mileage is going to value.

If you're just talking about cost, what that meal would cost if you paid out of pocket...

The Deluxe Dining Plan is about $116 a night.

If I were to eat at Cali Grill I'd probably order
Pepperoni Pizza as an appetizer - $17
Filet - $51
Valrohna Chocolate Cake - 14
If I ordered a glass of wine with that meal ($16) that would total. If someone else ordered that meal and didn't have any discount opportunities - Passholder discount, Tables in Wonderland, DVC - with tax it comes to almost $105.

And different meals could be more. There's a $75 rib-eye on the menu (and from what I'm reading, $75 is the cut off for Signature restaurant entrees to not incur a surcharge or be excluded from the Dining Plan). You can get sushi for an appetizer that's more expensive than the pizza appetizer I'd get. There are more expensive alcoholic beverages.
That's a meal that potentially covers the cost of a whole day's worth of the dining plan, with one credit and your snacks left over.

And there are plenty of other choices at other Signature restaurants where paying out of pocket would take you over $100.

This is all based on the Deluxe Dining Plan, where both an appetizer and a dessert are included. If you're on the deluxe dining plan and your meal would be at least in the $75-80 range, it would/could be a decent use of two credits. Definitely in the $100 range.

Kristopher Rannells

I definitely think Yachtsman's and Cali Grill are worth the 2 credits and we do one of them each trip. Haven't tried Boathouse yet, but have heard great things about it and am anxious to give it a shot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not trying to be snarky (and knowing me like I know me, I can understand if you find that hard to believe), but I'm not sure if you're talking about "cost" - how much the dining plan costs and what the cost of your meal would cost to justify some break-even price - or if you're talking about "value" - how much you have to pay for those meals and whether or not you can justify it as "worth it."

I won't get into value because that's purely subjective, everyone's mileage is going to value.

If you're just talking about cost, what that meal would cost if you paid out of pocket...

Filet - $51
If I ordered a glass of wine with that meal ($16) that would total. If someone else ordered that meal and didn't have any discount opportunities - Passholder discount, Tables in Wonderland, DVC - with tax it comes to almost $105.

And different meals could be more. There's a $75 rib-eye on the menu (and from what I'm reading, $75 is the cut off for Signature restaurant entrees to not incur a surcharge or be excluded from the Dining Plan). You can get sushi for an appetizer that's more expensive than the pizza appetizer I'd get. There are more expensive alcoholic beverages.
That's a meal that potentially covers the cost of a whole day's worth of the dining plan, with one credit and your snacks left over.

And there are plenty of other choices at other Signature restaurants where paying out of pocket would take you over $100.

This is all based on the Deluxe Dining Plan, where both an appetizer and a dessert are included. If you're on the deluxe dining plan and your meal would be at least in the $75-80 range, it would/could be a decent use of two credits. Definitely in the $100 range.

You just explained why the dining plan is pointless...it’s just a different way to pay than a la carte.

What’s the point?

slappy magoo

Original Poster
You just explained why the dining plan is pointless...it’s just a different way to pay than a la carte.

What’s the point?
I wouldn't say it's pointless, but it doesn't work for me now. When both my kids were under 10 doing the Deluxe Plan worked great for us. We did a lot of character meals for breakfasts and we always did sit down dinners. We could have made other plans, eaten more inexpensively and saved money, but then we wouldn't have had those particular meals/experiences we wanted to have. And because the kid's deluxe dining plan was significantly cheaper, we saved hundreds of dollars and tended to have dozens of snacks to bring home for weeks afterwards.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn't say it's pointless, but it doesn't work for me now. When both my kids were under 10 doing the Deluxe Plan worked great for us. We did a lot of character meals for breakfasts and we always did sit down dinners. We could have made other plans, eaten more inexpensively and saved money, but then we wouldn't have had those particular meals/experiences we wanted to have. And because the kid's deluxe dining plan was significantly cheaper, we saved hundreds of dollars and tended to have dozens of snacks to bring home for weeks afterwards.
There are ways to “use it”...but involves a lot of right to left and stuffing yourself.

The real thing is how it declined in “value” since its original inception...just like DVC.

A hook...basically...which is expected.

officialtom

I thought places like Tiffins and Brown Derby were worth 2 credits on the RoL/F! packages where you get the extra appetizer thrown in. There's a lot of variety to choose from in those, and all of the ones we tried have been a delicious addition to a great meal.

Agreed with both of these! We've done the package at Tiffins twice, and once at Brown Derby, and absolutely loved both. I think Tiffins may be a bit better, but honestly both were delicious and overall great experiences. Would do both again.

Amos1784

We are not a fan of in park signatures (can't speak on Tiffans have not been there yet). For the price I always feel rushed and think they are sub par to the signatures out of the parks.

We also had a very underwhelming dining experience at Flying Fish that has put us off from returning. However that was before the refurb and menu changes.

Phonedave

Filet - $51

Don't worry, you and I have been around these boards long enough that I know you are not snarky (hopefully, neither am I)

I was not talking about cost, as in dollars, but as in value, purely from comparing 1 TS to 2 TS

It is hard to say if something is worth 2 credits as compared to 1 credit without assigning a dollar value. If you were paying $20 a credit, then sure, a signature is easily worth an additional $20. But if you were paying $1000 a credit, then a signature is clearly not worth an extra $1,000

But, lets say, for arguments sake, that all money is no longer accepted and every thing is paid for in a new, magical, currency called "credits" and we set the value of a credit as a regular TS meal. No analysis of it is worth the money paid, or anything like that. No money in the world whatsoever, you get your paycheck and it comes in credits, and the value of one credit is a meal at a standard WDW table service (apparently we have moved off flat money, and instead of reinstating the gold standard, we are now on the WDW meal standard)

Given the above, would I "spend" 2 credits at a signature. No, I would not. I do not feel that the value (food, atmosphere, service, etc) is double the value provided at a regular TS. Some may come close. maybe in the 1.7x range, but none, in my opinion, hit that 2x multiplier.

Looking at it that way eliminates WDWs insane pricing, perceived value of the DDP, food choices, number of credits, restrictions, 'normal' behavior without the plan, etc. In certain cases, such as you outline, the dollars do make sense, where if you buy specific items,and if you eat certain ways you may come out monetarily ahead, but there are too many personal variables involved.

-dave

Nisa715

Filet - $51

Do you only get an app if you buy the deluxe dining plan? Have have the middle dining plan for our upcoming trip and I thought it was only the entree, drink, and dessert.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Do you only get an app if you buy the deluxe dining plan? Have have the middle dining plan for our upcoming trip and I thought it was only the entree, drink, and dessert.
Yes with very few exceptions, usually meals that include something like special seating for parades or fireworks. And of course at buffets all the food they serve is up for grabs including appetizers, soups, salads...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom