Sick from Cosmic Rays...anyone else?

Rinx

Original Poster
My dad, brother and myself ate at Cosmic Rays on 8/21. We all had burgers from Bay 3 and all got sick. Me the most and still feeling the effects of a sleepless night and extensive vomiting. Just curious if anyone else experienced any trouble.

G00fyDad

My dad, brother and myself ate at Cosmic Rays on 8/21. We all had burgers from Bay 3 and all got sick. Me the most and still feeling the effects of a sleepless night and extensive vomiting. Just curious if anyone else experienced any trouble.

You should probably tell them so they can investigate the issue and stop others from getting sick. But it could have been from something else like maybe some sick person transferring germs to something you in turn touched afterward or maybe you got too close to someone who was sick. Sometimes these things can hit very quick and go away just as fast.

Pooh Lover

Have never had a problem at Cosmic Rays. Could it possibly have been from the condiment bar? They seem to constantly replenish the items on the bar but who knows on something like that?

Sorry you had a bad experience. Hope it didn't ruin too much of your trip.

Communicore

Hope everyone's ok as well.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Hope you are feeling better.

Disney are absolutely meticulous with food handling/preparation. It is very hard to pinpoint an illness with a specific location, as you come into contact with thousands of guests and touch surfaces that are possibly contaminated etc.

BrittanyRose428

Unfortunately you may never know what it was that made you sick. When thats happened to me on vacation I've usually pin-pointed it to what I think it is, but you'll really never know, especially somewhere as crowded as WDW with so many people around each other like that. Hope you feel better though, getting sick on vacation is the worst.

BigRedDad

It could any number of a 1000 things. You are in a highly populated park with germs at every corner. Unless you are wearing latex gloves and not touching anything, you could have gotten it anywhere. Cosmic Ray's is only one of those things.

#1 Food poisoning
#2 Airborne germ
#3 Something all of you touched
#4 Something one of you contracted and passed it to the others

And so on...

Sorry you go sick but there is no easy way to pinpoint it. Inform Guest Relations.

Rinx

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the well wishes :wave: Seems like it was one of those 24 hour things, my symptoms are getting better every hour. We will take your advice and inform guest relations, but not as a complaint, just like a precautionary heads up because as many of you said, I agree, with all these people and locations it's hard to pinpoint what it was. I have one more full day here and I plan on making it count :)

slappy magoo

My suggestion, FWIW, go to WDW's website and see if there is any place you can leave a comment regarding your trip. Don't write an angry message because, as others have pointed out, there's no way to be 100% sure it was food @ Cosmic Ray's that made you sick. But there is a possibility, unlikely as it may be, that other people got sick and made similar comments, and your message could be the one that makes Disney suspect they did indeed get some tainted food and investigate. Be specific as to the day you ate there and what you ate there. You may not be alone.

wilkeliza

Just wondering how you decided it was Cosmic Rays that gave it to you? Food poisoning can take 2 to 6 hours (sometimes longer) to show symptoms. It could have been something you ate at breakfast, a snack you all had, a drink, anything not just Cosmic Rays.

I am just wondering what made your party have an AHA moment not doubting your story at all just like information.

I know when I was really sick and I thought it was food poisoning my dr. told me 9 times out of 10 what people come to him thinking is food poisoning is actually a 24 hour bug. One went through our school last year and they thought it was food poisoning form the cafe but then they realized kids from off-campus and kids who never eat in the cafe were also sick. Come to find out some bacteria was traveling around campus through contact.

Scuttle

Come on guys use your common sense. I agree at a place like WDW it is hard to pinpoint, but 3 people got sick the same night, I'm assuming within the same timeframe, they all ate the same thing. Come on it's way easier to believe that they got sick from bad meat than it is to believe they all contacted the same exact thing just from touching things and being at WDW.

Sick

It`s always so difficult to pinpoint where germs come from--even a door handle can transmit germs!! I do what Niles does on " Frasier"and push doors of restrooms open with part of my clothing, so I don`t have to touch them----"Frasier" fans will know what I mean!! Could I be heading for OCD??

rkelly42

The chances that all three of them became sick at the same time from a virus is pretty slim, chances are it was food poisoning. Food poisoning usually presents not to long after consuming the food and last only a short time. If I had to guess thats probably what it was and can happen at any restaurant that you dine at no matter how clean it is. I would contact disney to let them know, there could be more people out there that had a similar problem and this will help them determine what the problem is.

Brwneyedgirl72

A few years ago the very same thing happened to me at Cosmic Rays. I think it was possibly something from the toppings bar - and to be honest, I won't eat there again. I was on POC when I started feeling sick, went to first aid, where I proceeded to get violently ill. I wasn't even able to make it to the car in the MK parking lot - ended up vomiting in a garbage can at TTC. My family thinks it is funny to try and get me to re-create the event everytime we pass "my garbage can" for a photo op!

Even though I reported it to first aid, and to the concierge at Pop Century, nothing was really done. They were very nice to me, but unfortunately there really wasn't anything that anyone could do.

MMFanCipher

It`s always so difficult to pinpoint where germs come from--even a door handle can transmit germs!! I do what Niles does on " Frasier"and push doors of restrooms open with part of my clothing, so I don`t have to touch them----"Frasier" fans will know what I mean!! Could I be heading for OCD??

Yes, yes you are. :ROFLOL::wave::p

powlessfamily4

Come on guys use your common sense. I agree at a place like WDW it is hard to pinpoint, but 3 people got sick the same night, I'm assuming within the same timeframe, they all ate the same thing. Come on it's way easier to believe that they got sick from bad meat than it is to believe they all contacted the same exact thing just from touching things and being at WDW.

I would think if it was the meat then they would not be the only ones sickened by it. However, If they are sleeping in the same room, have their toothbrushes in the same local and breathing the same air full of airborne viruses it's highly probable it wasn' the meat. In fact it is more probable that they got a 24 hr bug and passed it. I guess we would have to research how many documents cases their have been of contamination at WDW and add a percentage for undocumented. Then figure the odds of airborne viruses per 100,000 people..... yeah I don't think so...

Hope you feel better and thanks for sharing LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom