shweeb: one-person monorail technology

CaptainWinter

Original Poster
Check out these wicked cool one-person monorail pod prototypes.

http://shweeb.com

(To be clear, this company has no connection with WDW or WDI.)

Imagine zipping from AKL to MK in one of those. Jeez would that be a blast.

CaptainWinter

Original Poster
If it was motorized and air conditioned it would be better. It also must have a beer dispenser which dispenses unlimited delicious Dos Equis.

Actually the system *can* move the cars with electricity at any point, but only when needed. Don't know about the a/c.

The Dos Equis comment is hilarious :lol:, but now that I think of it, I think you could actually drive these suckers drunk and not endanger anyone! They don't really crash because there's so little friction; in other words, collisions are designed to be basically harmless.

ddrongowski

Ok? So anyone that uses that is not allowed to have anything with them? Go to the store in it, buy some stuff, leave stuff at store because it will not fit in the human sized hamster toy.

This is another classic solution looking for a problem that does not exist. It also is not very well thought out. Were do you put you baby/child?

Fail.

Edit: Not very useful in cold or hot weather.

Edit 2: The inventor does not understand that gravity exists, and the world is not flat. Also is everyone going to wear gym clothes all the time? Don't forget to take you hygene wipes with you.

Ok? So anyone that uses that is not allowed to have anything with them? Go to the store in it, buy some stuff, leave stuff at store because it will not fit in the human sized hamster toy.

This is another classic solution looking for a problem that does not exist. It also is not very well thought out. Were do you put you baby/child?

Fail.

Edit 2: The inventor does not understand that gravity exists, and the world is not flat. Also is everyone going to wear gym clothes all the time? Don't forget to take you hygene wipes with you.

I agree. It's not practical at all and whoever created this didn't put much thought into the problems it would cause.:hammer:

CaptainWinter

Original Poster

Fail.

AtHome: SkyWeb Express looks great. I hadn't seen that.

Folks -- before you prejudge this system a failure, you might peruse their website a bit. They've thought of most and perhaps all of these objections. Specifically:

storage: there's a pod with a trunk for storage.

children: there are multiple-person pods suitable for taking kids along.

weather: I sent them a note on this, as I was curious too. They said the pods perform well in cold weather, not so good in hot.

clothes: yes, wear cool clothes. People bike in hot weather and they do OK.

Sure, the system's not for everyone, but IMO it's *way cool* and looks like a lot of fun. On reflection I think it could be integrated into Future World and/or whole Epcot pretty nicely.

devoy1701

AtHome: SkyWeb Express looks great. I hadn't seen that.

Folks -- before you prejudge this system a failure, you might peruse their website a bit. They've thought of most and perhaps all of these objections. Specifically:

storage: there's a pod with a trunk for storage.

children: there are multiple-person pods suitable for taking kids along.

weather: I sent them a note on this, as I was curious too. They said the pods perform well in cold weather, not so good in hot.

clothes: yes, wear cool clothes. People bike in hot weather and they do OK.

Sure, the system's not for everyone, but IMO it's *way cool* and looks like a lot of fun. On reflection I think it could be integrated into Future World and/or whole Epcot pretty nicely.

I could see it as becoming an ATTRACTION for Innoventions or something of the sorth. Maybe even starting in one Innoventions and going through the whole communicore. But It's simply too hot in FL for somethign like that. Not to mention the severe summer storms. I personally would much prefer they put in a PeopleMover in Future World.

BrerFrog

I love it! That thing looks great fun. :sohappy:

I don't even need it as a ride. Just a transport system. Then I'm gonna race you from park to park! :wave:

That would be fun! :)

I haven't read into the details of the project, but what would happen if there was a slow pilot on the beam right in front of you? Would you just be permanently stuck behind him?

CaptainWinter

Original Poster
That would be fun! :)

I haven't read into the details of the project, but what would happen if there was a slow pilot on the beam right in front of you? Would you just be permanently stuck behind him?

You'd push him -- his vehicle would offer very little resistance. The system's designed for it.

If the track were not a loop, you could make it go always downhill by sufficiently elevating the start points. Even if it were a loop, you could have some sort of elevator to send cars up at the loading point, and, again, be always going downhill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom