Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

slipperalwaysfits

While we were on the boat earlier, we perused the menus for our counter service lunch options. Mobile ordering is now being heavily pushed (more on that later) and I was excited to see that I could finally use a gift card as payment. However I would learn of a stipulation a few days later.....:bored:

I'm waiting with bated breath for this answer....I LIVE by Disney Gift cards, coffee, food, purchases I can no longer make at Village Gifts 😰
So I'm really curious as to what happened....I know that you have to pay them off at the front desk of the hotel to avoid your credit card being charged, but that was Pre-Covid, so I'm not sure now....

Cosmic Ray’s at noon, ladies and gents
A DISNEY MAGIC MOMENT!~!!!!!!!!!1 EXCEPT for the fact the food wasn't great, that takes away the magic!

While not an official “Arty Pooh” it was our first attraction of the day

So I'm embarassed...I've been reading since you started writing Trip Reports (thanks to @coachwnh ) but can't figure out why you call it Arty-Pooh and why it isn't Arty-Pooh now...does it have to do with the drawing the honey in the queue?

and sadly the reason we only rode BTMRR once the entire week. (Somebody hand @Longers the smelling salts. I think she fainted!) And since the park closed at 7 pm, there was no opportunity for nighttime rides in the dark (which are far superior IMO.)

Agreed, there is nothing more special than BTMRR in the dark at WDW. My hubby said that was the moment he knew he wanted to marry me (though he'd been on it like 100 times before he even met me so....) 😍😍🥰 But that's probably why it's our favorite ride now!

coachwnh

Years ago (more than 6, it’s in @coachwnh ‘s TR title 😉) I was an avid reader of Coach’s trip reports. He and his young family went to WDW a lot and he always reported LIVE. I loved that as it made me feel like I was tagging along in real time. Additionally, his kids were at the perfect age for Disney magic while mine were grown, and their adventures brought back memories of vacations when my kids were young.

I’m sure you don’t know this @coachwnh, but you were the one who inspired me to begin writing trip reports of my own. (Just as a good coach would! :happy: )

Em and I enjoyed chatting with Coach, Crystal, Brayden and Maddy (now teens! :jawdrop:) Happily, our paths would cross again.
Thank you very much for sharing this with me. It made me feel really good when I read it! I hope we cross paths in Disney again.

k8einwdw

Mobile ordering is now being heavily pushed (more on that later) and I was excited to see that I could finally use a gift card as payment. However I would learn of a stipulation a few days later.....:bored:
Ooooh, intriguing...

Perhaps we’ll have better luck Unda the Sea. (As long as the impending storm doesn’t hit first!)
But, did you wave?

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Sorry you had to experience a long wait for BTMRR and it made it unappealing to go again. There were the same sort of plexiglass barriers at DLP for BTMRR, but fortunately for us, the first two times we rode it the line was not long. The next day however was a different story and the entire queue was open and yes, zig zagging in the heat with high plexiglass walls on either side is not much fun, so we too decided not to reride it a second time that day.

tonystark

Chicken nuggets for Em, grilled chicken sandwich for me. I have to say my sandwich was disappointingly chewy....which was the case the last time I dined at Cosmic Ray’s. Sigh.
I myself am disappointed in the severe lack of pickles I see for either you or Em...
Hey, @tonystark what time is it?

It’s Mansion time!
I am less disappointed...

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I'm waiting with bated breath for this answer....I LIVE by Disney Gift cards, coffee, food, purchases I can no longer make at Village Gifts 😰
So I'm really curious as to what happened....I know that you have to pay them off at the front desk of the hotel to avoid your credit card being charged, but that was Pre-Covid, so I'm not sure now....

Me too True Value!!!
Out with it! I have plans to make!
(😘)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
So I'm embarassed...I've been reading since you started writing Trip Reports (thanks to @coachwnh ) but can't figure out why you call it Arty-Pooh and why it isn't Arty-Pooh now...does it have to do with the drawing the honey in the queue?

My Arty Pooh joke started a few years ago when I told my family, "Tomorrow we're gonna RD (as in Rope Drop) Pooh."
Em was very confused and immediately asked, "What's Arty Pooh?" (like it had something to do with drawing).
I burst out laughing since we often referred to rope drop as RD and I was confused by Em's confusion.
And the joke stuck.

So we didn't Arty Pooh because even though it was our first attraction of the day, it wasn't at ROPE DROP.

Last edited:

lindawdw

I'm so thrilled with the amount of attractions that you've gotten on so far this day!!! The last time we ate at Cosmic Ray's for lunch, I felt that it was sub par also. Thanks for letting us know that BTMRR is that hot with the plexiglass as it will not be a ride I do all that often in October with the heat and mask situation. I'm interested to see if you changed your pool time around after realizing that families would use the quiet pool until the main pool opened. I know how much you and Em enjoy your BR pool time together! So did you plan on switching rooms this day or was the room text a mistake? I can't wait to find out!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Me too True Value!!!
Out with it! I have plans to make!
(😘)

Okay, Okay!

I was going to save the gift card stipulation for later in the report but I hate to leave y'all hanging.

Good news: You can use a Disney gift card to pay for your mobile order.

Bad news: The gift card number is not stored in the app (like a credit card). So each time you want to pay by gift card, you must enter the 16 digit number AGAIN. Which is a pain. You also cannot charge a mobile order to your room. Another pain. So it was just easier to use my stored credit card as the default payment.

krisri18

While not an official “Arty Pooh” it was our first attraction of the day.

View attachment 491135

No one else in the queue until we got to this point.

View attachment 491136

View attachment 491137

Next we found ourselves in a little town....and it was a quiet village!

View attachment 491141

The Tavern was closed!!

View attachment 491140

Was Gaston’s chair there, @krisri18? We’ll never know! :banghead:

No Village Gifts either?!?!

View attachment 491139

Perhaps we’ll have better luck Unda the Sea. (As long as the impending storm doesn’t hit first!)

View attachment 491142

Safe in our clamshell.

View attachment 491138
No window peeking?! Gaston's chair shall now be the Schrodinger's cat of the Magic Kingdom.

epcotisbest

My Arty Pooh joke started a few years ago when I told my family, "Tomorrow we're gonna RD (as in Rope Drop) Pooh."
Em was very confused and immediately asked, "What's Arty Pooh?" (like it had something to do with drawing).
I burst out laughing since we often referred to RD as rope drop and I was confused by Em's confusion.
And the joke stuck.

So we didn't Arty Pooh because even though it was our first attraction of the day, it wasn't at ROPE DROP.

I just knew the story behind Arty Pooh would make perfect, a lot of, some sense. :D

slipperalwaysfits

I was going to save the gift card stipulation for later in the report but I hate to leave y'all hanging.

Good news: You can use a Disney gift card to pay for your mobile order.

Bad news: The gift card number is not stored in the app (like a credit card). So each time you want to pay by gift card, you must enter the 16 digit number AGAIN. Which is a pain. You also cannot charge a mobile order to your room. Another pain. So it was just easier to use my stored credit card as the default payment.

YAY WE CAN STILL USE GIFT CARDS.... but are we still able to pay by magic band and then pay off the gift card balance later in the day/trip when we are back in our room? Or will I have to enter the 16 digit number every time??? :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: How would we do this at places that aren't quick service like BOG or CaliGrill?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry you had to experience a long wait for BTMRR and it made it unappealing to go again. There were the same sort of plexiglass barriers at DLP for BTMRR, but fortunately for us, the first two times we rode it the line was not long. The next day however was a different story and the entire queue was open and yes, zig zagging in the heat with high plexiglass walls on either side is not much fun, so we too decided not to reride it a second time that day.
Thanks for letting us know that BTMRR is that hot with the plexiglass as it will not be a ride I do all that often in October with the heat and mask situation.
I noticed the same issue with the plexiglass, we were fortunate enough to not spend much time in that area. Wouldn't want to be stuck there for 20+ minutes on a hot, humid Florida day.
In cooler weather....or at night....the plexiglass would not be an issue.
At least we got one ride in!

I myself am disappointed in the severe lack of pickles I see for either you or Em...
Toppings bar is closed, my dear! (Not that you would have seen any pickles had the toppings bar been available. :cautious:

No window peeking?! Gaston's chair shall now be the Schrodinger's cat of the Magic Kingdom.
I tried @krisri18, I tried!!

I just knew the story behind Arty Pooh would make perfect sense. :D
FTFY. 😁

YAY WE CAN STILL USE GIFT CARDS.... but are we still able to pay by magic band and then pay off the gift card balance later in the day/trip when we are back in our room? Or will I have to enter the 16 digit number every time??? :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: How would we do this at places that aren't quick service like BOG or CaliGrill?
The gift card number only needs to be re-entered for mobile orders.
You can still use your MagicBand to pay at table service restaurants and stores (and pay down the charges with a gift card at the Front Desk.) You can also pay directly with a gift card at TS restaurants and stores.

slipperalwaysfits

I burst out laughing since we often referred to rope drop as RD and I was confused by Em's confusion.
And the joke stuck.

That's hilarious and totally makes sense!

Toppings bar is closed, my dear! (Not that you would have seen any pickles had the toppings bar been available

To hubby and me, pickles on burgers just don't make sense. I love pickle spears as a side to sandwiches but I never understood the pickle thing.

he gift card number only needs to be re-entered for mobile orders.
You can still use your MagicBand to pay at table service restaurants and stores (and pay down the charges with a gift card at the Front Desk.) You can also pay directly with a gift card at TS restaurants and stores.

Thank you for the clarification. Sounds like a pain, but good to know it's only a quick-service problem, I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom