Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
...... were you just supposed to spoon the guac into your mouth otherwise?????
I know, right??!!!
Confused Jane The Virgin GIF

That’s not the worst suggestion... it’s pretty delicious...
comedy central wtf GIF

Still needs a dipping instrument.....

Your dinner on the 30th with personal fireworks!!! Sooo jelly on that one! I love to see you and Woody enjoying such a great trip :inlove:
YES! @cgersic Their dinner on the 30th Anniversary of Epcot sounds beyond magical! :geek: :geek: :geek: 😍 😍
disney kiss GIF

So is my hubby but Mango guac would be amazing!! I really need to make a reservation at San Angel one of these years....
Mango guac is at La Hacienda. ;)

DisneyGigi

I'm here and loving your TR! The car tray that Woody made for your car lunches is perfect! I can't get over the incredible room view you got at the Poly!!! I've noted it in my DVC notebook of great rooms to request! Your photos of yesteryears are just adorable. Sorry the banter wasn't exactly up to par at Prime Time Cafe but your commentary on the GGS was quite entertaining!!! I was so sad for you about your umbrella mishap as I remember when you and Em bought them together in a previous TR. I did the same thing at a bus stop with our 35mm camera many years ago and never got that call from Lost and Found saying they found it. :( We also had an incident with my younger daughter's teddy bear which got bundled up with the sheets when the housekeeper stripped the bed. It was her teddy bear that she slept with every night and we never got it back. We have always had incredible meals at La Hacienda de San Angel and the views out the windows are so beautiful! Woody has been a trooper on this trip!

My grandson has a dog that he adores, a Ty St. Bernard, named Present. Present went everywhere with us at Disney, and after viewing Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam we realized he was not in the stroller. Panicked we went to guest services on the way out to file a lost and found. Luckily while we were in line and describing him a CM came walking in with him. Major close call. :-/

Songbird76

I'm here and loving your TR! The car tray that Woody made for your car lunches is perfect! I can't get over the incredible room view you got at the Poly!!! I've noted it in my DVC notebook of great rooms to request! Your photos of yesteryears are just adorable. Sorry the banter wasn't exactly up to par at Prime Time Cafe but your commentary on the GGS was quite entertaining!!! I was so sad for you about your umbrella mishap as I remember when you and Em bought them together in a previous TR. I did the same thing at a bus stop with our 35mm camera many years ago and never got that call from Lost and Found saying they found it. :( We also had an incident with my younger daughter's teddy bear which got bundled up with the sheets when the housekeeper stripped the bed. It was her teddy bear that she slept with every night and we never got it back. We have always had incredible meals at La Hacienda de San Angel and the views out the windows are so beautiful! Woody has been a trooper on this trip!
We had quite the scare when my daughter was 4 and we were at Disney. She had her Lady plush that went EVERYWHERE with us and she slept with every night from the time she was about 8 months old. She had rolled over in her crib, saw Lady, grabbed her by the ear and pulled her toward herself...from that moment on, Lady was her best buddy. She wouldn't go down for a nap without her. So we were at Disney and we were in what was then Downtown Disney at the World of Disney store and looking through everything. The kids were having so much fun with the Mr. Potato heads. When we went to leave the store, E realized she didn't have Lady....where's Lady? We looked ALL over that store and couldn't find her, E's in tears. She had reached under the stroller and put Lady in the little compartment without telling us, and then forgot. Crisis averted, but that was a very tense 10 minutes thinking we'd lost her! I'm shocked that Disney couldn't find your daughter's teddy bear! And how did it get taken in the first place?

lindawdw

We had quite the scare when my daughter was 4 and we were at Disney. She had her Lady plush that went EVERYWHERE with us and she slept with every night from the time she was about 8 months old. She had rolled over in her crib, saw Lady, grabbed her by the ear and pulled her toward herself...from that moment on, Lady was her best buddy. She wouldn't go down for a nap without her. So we were at Disney and we were in what was then Downtown Disney at the World of Disney store and looking through everything. The kids were having so much fun with the Mr. Potato heads. When we went to leave the store, E realized she didn't have Lady....where's Lady? We looked ALL over that store and couldn't find her, E's in tears. She had reached under the stroller and put Lady in the little compartment without telling us, and then forgot. Crisis averted, but that was a very tense 10 minutes thinking we'd lost her! I'm shocked that Disney couldn't find your daughter's teddy bear! And how did it get taken in the first place?
She had slept with Teddy at night and he was in the bed still when we left to go to the parks in the morning. The housekeeper ripped the sheets off the bed to change them and must have just rolled him up in the dirty sheets which then were brought to the laundry area. We actually went to the laundry room area to talk with the housekeeper but he was never found.😥 He was a baby Gund bear and he meant the world to her since she was only about 4 years old. We gave her another bear when we got home which was her sister's, and to this day, she still has that teddy on her bed in her own apartment. She's 31 years old but still has loves her teddy. :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Temperature check and security screening had been moved inside the entry of the Great Ceremonial House. It was nice to see an “uncluttered” monorail platform again.

F615B138-8E66-4A43-AACF-B0D42A5CC994.jpeg

Of course what it will look like post-refurb is anyone’s guess. But the platform was in need of serious repair. Woody tripped on a loose plank and noticed several others over the course of our stay. (Perhaps his comments were overheard? The major refurbishment was announced after we got home. 😉)

93773F83-3BEB-4487-B3F3-F3501FCA7A56.jpeg

03AA7B21-227A-44F4-A153-73A7070DEB50.jpeg

We shared our monorail car with newlyweds who were honeymooning at the Contemporary....the site of my and Woody’s honeymoon over 35 years ago. We wished them many years of happiness.

Shocking that @Tuvalu waited until Day 3 to visit MK! Had she been taking patience lessons from this guy?

4085C32D-A8BA-49C8-B192-243442A211E3.jpeg

Even rarer than a rain-free FL summer day.....

62FBE0BD-FD69-43B7-8603-E55CED72023C.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
No Arty Pooh today. We began our touring here.

B1A7A83A-E0D3-4DE3-976C-0EF9E882B1D7.jpeg

Em and I had bypassed Jungle Cruise the previous month over our concern that the boats would be stuffy due to the plastic dividers. Since then I’d read a few TRs without any boat complaints, so I told Woody I wanted to ride JC first.

A4975EC8-9FAA-4303-B754-C27CF819D127.jpeg

There was no wait to board.

23F06AF5-C6EC-4963-903C-4124676A8C47.jpeg

Our skipper was very punny. As soon as the boat left the dock she exclaimed, “Reach under your seats for life jackets!”

Of course no one moved.

“C’mon folks you paid a lot of money to be here, play along!” she chastised.

Then she rapid-fired jokes the entire cruise. It made the pandemic retrofitted boat tolerable. Woody and I agreed it was a fun start to our day.

And since we were in the neighborhood.....

7E6EB376-669B-41B9-931F-8392D2E84CAD.jpeg

Again I suspected the ride photo would not be working.

04A80F75-248C-4672-B461-507AEC4ACABD.jpeg

And again I was right! Would it be fixed before the end of our trip?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Splash Mountain was down which likely caused the 20 minute (HOT) wait for BTMRR. (Real-time; posted 40 minutes)

Where was my BTMRR buddy this year? 😭
AC0EF76D-7599-4B2D-A6A4-A3323889535A.jpeg

@Longers substitute.

A2AD5524-687B-459A-8439-60E58F7A70F8.jpeg

C0AFEEA2-3CA4-4047-9A5C-15D22B1DE879.jpeg

@tonystark it was Mansion time!

But the Mansion was not accepting new souls.

In the interim, It’s a Small World would have to suffice. The queue now sported new plexiglass dividers.

471F4A54-702A-4B2E-AB82-B4F152A9727C.jpeg

Teaching his daughter well, I see.

411EDF31-C064-4CDA-81C6-6AE59FA975C9.jpeg

More maddening was that the CM assigning row numbers did not say a word. Daddy and daughter only adjusted their masks at the conclusion of their cruise, when instructed to by a different CM.

They were in the boat in front of ours and yes, I stewed the entire time. Woody let it go since it was out of his control anyway. I’m sure he enjoyed the attraction more than I did.

031C5E9D-6353-4EBB-9E47-7929FFBF80D5.jpeg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Splash Mountain was down which likely caused the 20 minute (HOT) wait for BTMRR. (Real-time; posted 40 minutes)

View attachment 506062

@Longers substitute.

View attachment 506063

View attachment 506064

In the interim, It’s a Small World would have to suffice. The queue now sported new plexiglass dividers.

View attachment 506066

View attachment 506065

More maddening was that the CM assigning row numbers did not say a word. Daddy and daughter only adjusted their masks at the conclusion of their cruise, when instructed to by a different CM.

They were in the boat in front of ours and yes, I stewed the entire time. Woody let it go since it was out of his control anyway. I’m sure he enjoyed the attraction more than I did.

View attachment 506067

I would have stewed about it as well, and did many times when I saw that kind of stuff. Brad was like Woody and just let it go. I need to be more like Brad and Woody.

slipperalwaysfits

Shocking that @Tuvalu waited until Day 3 to visit MK! Had she been taking patience lessons from this guy?
I am not sure I could take patience lessons like that for waiting for MK!
I get mad when people are so disrespectful, too. I went to a training on Thursday with 25 teachers in a small room and I was THE ONLY one wearing a mask. I felt so disrespected. If I end up with the Coronavirus, I could make a fuss, but I need to keep my job, so it's really frustrating that I was exposed.

It's more maddening that the CM's don't say anything. Although I'm sure they feel like they are broken records, constantly asking for masks up. But seriously, I thought people not wearing masks correctly will be asked to leave?! :jawdrop: :cautious:

I hope that couple you shared the monorail with has many years of happiness ahead of them. You and Woody are admirable! 😍😍😍

Longers

View attachment 506062

@Longers substitute.

View attachment 506063

View attachment 506064

View attachment 506066

View attachment 506065

View attachment 506067

she is stuck in the UK 🇬🇧 - got withdrawal symptoms - I’m glad Woody stood in. I’m sad too that POR still doesn’t have a reopen date :D

dizfan917

omg, that reminded me of my own umbrella dramma... @bee

I'll make it short:

1) got a drink at Mizner's Lounge. told our server we were off to California Grill.
2) the CM at the desk upstairs in CG told me that I left my umbrella at Mizner's. Wow, how thoughtful, we'll get it tomorrow!
3) next day, we stop by the concierge at GF and tell them the story.
4) no umbrella in Lost & Found.
5) a CM goes to the lounge to look for it. nothing.
6) call back after 4:00p when they open.
7) called back, no umbrella. Called again the next day. nothing. Try resort wide WDW Lost & Found...
8) called there, nothing. give them my info in case they find it.
9) head home. heard nothing.
10) a month (or so?!) later I get a note from the USPS, I have a package with POSTAGE DUE waiting for me.
11) stop by the post office not expecting a package.
12) it's from WDW. with TWENTY TWO DOLLARS postage due on a HUGE box. I ask the lady if there is an umbrella inside.
13) yes! It's my $8.99 dumb three year old WDW umbrella. do I want to pay $22 to get it back? nope.
14) I refused the package.
15) wrote a letter to the GM of the GF explaining how nice it was for the CM to remember where I was going and to let me know I forgot it... AND all the ridiculous hub bub that followed.
16) maybe a month later I received TWO new umbrellas with no postage due. I'm not sure they were worth the effort...

sigh. apparently I couldn't make it short. :geek:

Last edited:

MickeyCB

4085C32D-A8BA-49C8-B192-243442A211E3.jpeg
We will be at the Poly this week, looking at the MK and won't be able to cross the water till our next to last day!!:mad::cry: Not loving this park pass system!

411EDF31-C064-4CDA-81C6-6AE59FA975C9.jpeg

I am right there with you!! Aggggg! What is the issue with following a few rules, and more important being a little respectful to your fellow man?!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Brad was like Woody and just let it go. I need to be more like Brad and Woody.
Me (and apparently @93boomer) too!!!

I hope that couple you shared the monorail with has many years of happiness ahead of them. You and Woody are admirable! 😍😍😍
You’re sweet. I admire your tenacity teaching in a pandemic. Much is expected of teachers today. Thank you!

she is stuck in the UK 🇬🇧 - got withdrawal symptoms - I’m glad Woody stood in. I’m sad too that POR still doesn’t have a reopen date :D
I just know there’s gonna be a big ol’ party when @Longers and @riverside return to POR!! Hang in there. It’ll be worth the wait. :happy:

🤣🤣 We were both stewing!
See above. :hilarious:

I'll make it short:

sigh. apparently I couldn't make it short. :geek:
We LOVED this story! (Read it aloud to Woody and Em). Thanks for sharing it! ❤️

We will be at the Poly this week, looking at the MK and won't be able to cross the water till our next to last day!!:mad::cry: Not loving this park pass system!
Fingers crossed you get a nice view! Wish I were going.
I too miss the spontaneity of choosing a park on a whim. And I really miss park hopping!

Awesome report!
Appreciate you following along! :bookworm:

Songbird76

Are you guys still blocked from entering the US, too? Is it all of Europe? I was hoping I would be able to go "back home" to Wyoming next Summer to show the kids all the historical sites and natural beauty like Yellowstone, but it's still uncertain whether or not the borders will be open by then, and I can't make any reservations until I know. I am NOT a spontaneous girl...I can't do "go with the flow" vacations. I need to have at least a basic plan of where I will be each day, and know where I'll be sleeping. A Disney trip for me in the current situation would be anxiety inducing, but doing a 3 or 4 week tour of Wyoming without a plan would be torture! But it's not looking like it will be an option any time soon as cases both here and in the US are rising exponentially.

Longers

Are you guys still blocked from entering the US, too? Is it all of Europe? I was hoping I would be able to go "back home" to Wyoming next Summer to show the kids all the historical sites and natural beauty like Yellowstone, but it's still uncertain whether or not the borders will be open by then, and I can't make any reservations until I know. I am NOT a spontaneous girl...I can't do "go with the flow" vacations. I need to have at least a basic plan of where I will be each day, and know where I'll be sleeping. A Disney trip for me in the current situation would be anxiety inducing, but doing a 3 or 4 week tour of Wyoming without a plan would be torture! But it's not looking like it will be an option any time soon as cases both here and in the US are rising exponentially.
Yes we’re stuck here although I saw on the WDW news page that they were looking to put flights back in between London and NYC so maybe things will improve but I fear that with Covid cases increases this might not happen.
in the meantime news of other trips and u tube will have to help me through - oh and all the Disney things I’ve been buying for myself!
we can only hope everyone does the right thing and somehow this disease goes away - I need Disney back in my life so bad.....

Longers

Me (and apparently @93boomer) too!!!

You’re sweet. I admire your tenacity teaching in a pandemic. Much is expected of teachers today. Thank you!

I just know there’s gonna be a big ol’ party when @Longers and @riverside return to POR!! Hang in there. It’ll be worth the wait. :happy:

See above. :hilarious:

We LOVED this story! (Read it aloud to Woody and Em). Thanks for sharing it! ❤️

Fingers crossed you get a nice view! Wish I were going.
I too miss the spontaneity of choosing a park on a whim. And I really miss park hopping!

Appreciate you following along! :bookworm:

I’m there! And if @riverside was there even better still. I almost feel like we should have a big WDW meet up to celebrate when things are back to normal

riverside

Premium Member

I’m there! And if @riverside was there even better still. I almost feel like we should have a big WDW meet up to celebrate when things are back to normal
A big WDW meet up would be the neatest thing ever!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom