Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

MissViv

Looking at Sept. now. Prices are better for the resorts and you can get 5 day tickets to the parks for the price of 3. More discounts for the resorts could come out later and October is never discounted.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
So .... do you have another trip planned? I am looking at WL for this October. Haven't stayed at WL in over 20 yrs.!! YIKES!

I think it might be a great locations for Fall & Halloween decorations. May be going Solo and could save a ton of money and stay at Pop. I always think about Pop & have even had reservations there but always upgraded.

Thoughts from the expert?

The 50th celebration was announced for October. Unless that's why you're going, I'd avoid it

MissViv

I could stay at Yacht or Beach Club for relatively the same price as WL. I have never stayed in the Epcot area. Same deal with the 5 day tickets for the price of 3.

MissViv

The 50th celebration was announced for October. Unless that's why you're going, I'd avoid it

Not really interested in the 50th at this time. Trying to avoid the crowds and get a better deal so that is why I am looking at Sept., although it could be hotter and more rain than the end of Oct.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Not really interested in the 50th at this time. Trying to avoid the crowds and get a better deal so that is why I am looking at Sept., although it could be hotter and more rain than the end of Oct.

It's usually not that bad, weather wise. It rains every day, but it's warm fun rain. My daughter loves jumping in puddles, lol. It gets hot enough that you might take a couple AC breaks, but as long as you're hydrating it won't be too bad. The Parks are usually much less full, and all the rides are normally open. Plus they've been doing the Halloween party that early and that's a really good time

MissViv

It's usually not that bad, weather wise. It rains every day, but it's warm fun rain. My daughter loves jumping in puddles, lol. It gets hot enough that you might take a couple AC breaks, but as long as you're hydrating it won't be too bad. The Parks are usually much less full, and all the rides are normally open. Plus they've been doing the Halloween party that early and that's a really good time

If they do the MNSSHP this year, I'd really like to go. I've never been and love Halloween! The rain will not bother me, I take breaks and spend a lot of time at the resort.

I like to go to the parks early in the morning then back to resort around noon and back to the parks in the evening. Not sure about the evening hours yet but hoping they do stay open a little later in the fall.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
LOL! The Ferro family, looooooooove a good pun! My son has become famous around the house for being the pun master.
pun manatee GIF

We had this waiter one time (Ali, we'll never forget his name) who came to our table once....dropped the bread off and disappeared. After a long period of time passed, we pulled another server over, let her know we had been waiting and she was nice enough to just take our order and said that she would try to find Ali.

We didn't see him ANYWHERE..... Our meal came and we were digging in for a bit when a manager stopped by for just a general "Are you folks enjoying yourself?" check and I swear he wasn't done with his sentence when Ali "appeared" out of nowhere right next to him asking if we needed anything.

I looked him at him and just said "Oh there you are Ali!"

To this day my daughter is convinced that either he was magic and he teleported or he was sleeping under our table the entire time.
new york aladdin GIF

He was on a magic carpet ride...

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
So .... do you have another trip planned? I am looking at WL for this October. Haven't stayed at WL in over 20 yrs.!! YIKES!

I think it might be a great locations for Fall & Halloween decorations. May be going Solo and could save a ton of money and stay at Pop. I always think about Pop & have even had reservations there but always upgraded.

Thoughts from the expert?
I have a WL trip planned this summer. I am excited to see the new refurbished rooms.
FYI the only "major" decorating at the Lodge is during the Christmas season. The Mercantile gift store will have a touch a fall/Halloween decor (mostly themed merchandise), but there's usually nothing in the lobby or halls.

Pop is a fine resort. You'll have plenty of space in the room as a solo traveler. If you want to save money and plan to spend most of your time in the parks, Pop is a great value. However, it lacks the quietness of other resorts and the food court is always busy. I've never felt "relaxed" at Pop. You will be dependent upon the Skyliner for transportation to DHS and Epcot, if that matters to you.
Looking at Sept. now. Prices are better for the resorts and you can get 5 day tickets to the parks for the price of 3. More discounts for the resorts could come out later and October is never discounted.
As @dryerlintfan mentioned, October is more expensive (and will be more crowded) due to the 50th anniversary celebration. Additionally, October has become a popular month to visit because of the "fall breaks" in some states (which is why discounts that month are rare.)
I could stay at Yacht or Beach Club for relatively the same price as WL. I have never stayed in the Epcot area. Same deal with the 5 day tickets for the price of 3.
Yacht and Beach are lovely resorts and you can't beat the convenience to Epcot (walk or boat) and all the food options Epcot offers. DHS is also walkable, but you may prefer the boat if the weather's warm. If you want a leisurely journey to DHS (or feel like resort hopping to Riviera, Caribbean Beach or Pop) you can jump on the Skyliner. Lots of dining options in the Epcot resort area. You may want to consider a stay at Yacht or Beach just for the new experience. (I'm glad I've been able to try out almost all of Disney's resorts.)

MissViv

I have been reading that Sept. is HOT - usually in the 90's so rethinking my decision. May have to return to later Oct. and stay at Pop to save $$$.

Wonder if they will have POFQ open by then?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have been reading that Sept. is HOT - usually in the 90's so rethinking my decision. May have to return to later Oct. and stay at Pop to save $$$.

Yes, September is very hot and humid (and increased chance of hurricanes.) The weather is typically better by late October. If you push your trip into November you’ll get to see Christmas decorations ~ we were there the first week of November 2020 and saw lots of holiday decor.

I would love to see POFQ and POR open again this fall. If so, my counsel would be to stay there. :inlove:

MissViv

My last trip was March '20 at POFQ and it was quiet and I loved it!

We went in November '19 and stayed at AK and most all of the Christmas Decorations were up. We visited all of the deluxe resorts to see the decorations. The weather was COLD for our Mickey's Christmas Party. It was a real magical time!

tommcp516

I have a WL trip planned this summer. I am excited to see the new refurbished rooms.
Wait...does this mean that your Easter trip is cancelled too? Because I'm still bummed about Darstarr's cancellation

david rose #funny GIF by Schitt's Creek

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

It's definitely hot, but not like, satan's armpit hot like in July and August. But you definitely have to hydrate well and move slower or you'll get tired early

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Since she has posted evidence in her TR, I can now reveal the identity of the final Magician I encountered at WDW a few months ago.

Third times a charm, right @riverside?

C7F06892-7ACE-4246-8E7D-C030075F49CA.jpeg

Actually the first two times were pretty charming as well. But this was our first meet in a PARK and the first opportunity to hand her a Tuvalu card*, since those cards were non-existent on our previous meets.

We chick-chatted for a couple hours outside the ABC Commissary. Woody was a great listener. :hilarious:

Our history goes back to June 2017. @riverside spotted me, Woody and Em in the lobby of Poly, enjoying drinks from the Tambu Lounge.

“Shy” is not the word that comes to mind when I think of @riverside, but I must have had an intimidating aura that day as she was too timid to approach us and say hello. Thankfully she was bold enough to PM me later and we arranged an “official” meet in December.

How convenient that we were both staying at Port Orleans Riverside!

FA615744-1F18-4347-9332-AB9A89552E2E.png

And then six months later we had drinks together in the Tambu Lounge....a real Circle of Life!

0F99438D-6B26-472F-BA72-F0EE853C2BEA.png

I don’t need to tell you how genuine @riverside is. She’s instantly likeable and approachable ~ a real gem. I hope to have the pleasure of connecting with her again soon!

(*Woody created Tuvalu cards as a fun joke and gifted me a box at Christmas 2018.)

riverside

Premium Member
Since she has posted evidence in her TR, I can now reveal the identity of the final Magician I encountered at WDW a few months ago.

Third times a charm, right @riverside?

View attachment 541306

Actually the first two times were pretty charming as well. But this was our first meet in a PARK and the first opportunity to hand her a Tuvalu card*, since those cards were non-existent on our previous meets.

We chick-chatted for a couple hours outside the ABC Commissary. Woody was a great listener. :hilarious:

Our history goes back to June 2017. @riverside spotted me, Woody and Em in the lobby of Poly, enjoying drinks from the Tambu Lounge.

“Shy” is not the word that comes to mind when I think of @riverside, but I must have had an intimidating aura that day as she was too timid to approach us and say hello. Thankfully she was bold enough to PM me later and we arranged an “official” meet in December.

How convenient that we were both staying at Port Orleans Riverside!

View attachment 541305

And then six months later we had drinks together in the Tambu Lounge....a real Circle of Life!

View attachment 541304

I don’t need to tell you how genuine @riverside is. She’s instantly likeable and approachable ~ a real gem. I hope to have the pleasure of connecting with her again soon!

(*Woody created Tuvalu cards as a fun joke and gifted me a box at Christmas 2018.)
Yes--all of our visits have been charming!! I'm always looking forward to the next one!!

Shy--I definitely am not!! You definitely didn't have an intimidating aura that day. I was more concerned that R would think I was crazy b/c back then he knew nothing about this site or TR's. I think he would have totally freaked out!! He "gets it" now though!!;)

That's very kind of you to say. What you said about me exactly sums you up also!!😘

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom