Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

lindawdw

I'm so glad you were pleased with your 1 bedroom at CC and you certainly got a beautiful balcony view! We stayed there last year in a deluxe studio on the top floor but didn't care for the balcony since it was enclosed, so in order to see your view, you had to stand. :( We LOVE The Wave restaurant and have always had a great meal with incredible service! I had read that they did not have any fresh chocolate goodies in the glass case at the Contemporary gift shop since reopening. :( We used to love buying a sweet treat there!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yum! ^^^
Gotta try The Wave sometime, your meal looks delish! 😋
Will add the Wave yo our list for our someday-when-we’re-able-to-get-back-again trip.

I’m so sad that you both had trips canceled :cry: but do add The Wave to your “try in the future” lists.

I'm so glad you were pleased with your 1 bedroom at CC and you certainly got a beautiful balcony view! We stayed there last year in a deluxe studio on the top floor but didn't care for the balcony since it was enclosed, so in order to see your view, you had to stand. :( We LOVE The Wave restaurant and have always had a great meal with incredible service! I had read that they did not have any fresh chocolate goodies in the glass case at the Contemporary gift shop since reopening. :( We used to love buying a sweet treat there!
The dormer room balconies are a bummer. Glad you can vouch for my Wave review. And under pandemic conditions, I shouldn’t have been surprised at the lack of fresh chocolates. But it was still disappointing!

slipperalwaysfits

It was at this point I realized that ordering a (filling) frozen creamy drink and eating half a loaf of bread before my entrée arrived was a BIG mistake. Both the chicken and the grits were out-of-this-world delicious and I was unable to finish them. My mouth was willing but my tummy screamed, “No more!”

Yep, I've had this problem, too. Often at Disney, where it's so exciting to see all the special treats and food!

Until tonight. The bakery case was extremely limited. Nothing there appealed to us. “Oh well, let’s check out the hand-made candy treats in BVG instead,” I said to Em.

AAAAAawwwwwwwwww, bummer! I thought I saw a post from the Confectionery on Main Street that they are still doing baked goods and dipped apples and such....sorry they weren't at the Contemporary. I've had some great cupcakes at the Contempo Cafe.

I’m sorry you aren’t able to take your vacation but glad you received full credit. Disney is worth the wait.

@Matt and Kelly Yes, Disney is totally worth the wait! We skipped last year thinking this year would be piece of cake but noooooooo....we are still going to try to go though because: DISNEY.

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

View attachment 489818

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

View attachment 489855
I've been a passive observer on this forum for many, many years (only had the privilege to visit the World in 1999 and 2007 but I'm hooked and a dreamer). I'm a South African living in the UK who loves the magic that is WDW. Thank you for taking the decision to do this trip report; to you @coachwnh and @fractal it gives all of us who are so very far away something so very positive to focus on; so very joyful to celebrate and such a reprieve from the sameness of every day. To all the other #magicians who may squeeze in a trip - don't stop reporting! Better days will come, "all it takes is faith and trust" - to quote Pan

coachwnh

I've been a passive observer on this forum for many, many years (only had the privilege to visit the World in 1999 and 2007 but I'm hooked and a dreamer). I'm a South African living in the UK who loves the magic that is WDW. Thank you for taking the decision to do this trip report; to you @coachwnh and @fractal it gives all of us who are so very far away something so very positive to focus on; so very joyful to celebrate and such a reprieve from the sameness of every day. To all the other #magicians who may squeeze in a trip - don't stop reporting! Better days will come, "all it takes is faith and trust" - to quote Pan
Thank you so much for the great post! I hope you get to visit WDW soon. I have to say, I'd love to make another visit to the UK soon.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sorry I'm so late to finally reading your report, we just got home from WDW on Thursday. I love your rooms at Wilderness Lodge and I agree that the rooms should always be cleaned that way. I would love those tubs, maybe I'd get myself some bath stuff at Basin and relax in the tub if I stayed there. We did breakfast at Wilderness Lodge and seeing that lava cake makes me want to go next time.

I can't believe you only rode Big Thunder once that week! But I agree that Plexiglas did stifle the air, we were lucky that we didn't have to wait long behind any of it. We also got the back row a few times and I thought of you, Em, and @Longers when I got the back row! Brad and I also missed riding it at night too.

Your dinner at the Wave makes me regret not eating there. We thought about it but decided on Kona instead since we had a reservation for California Grill at the Contemporary.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
These low/no crowd pics make it so tempting to go! I mean, virtual learning is just at home, and the district doesn't really define which home DD should be sitting at, as long as she is online from 7:30-12:15. Then quiet pool, some MK, late dinner at The Wave...so tempting.
I’m the wrong person to ask about giving into temptation to go to Disney. 😆

Your post made me so happy! Thanks for your encouraging words, Tanya.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wait, Woody? When did he get here!
Today.
(Perhaps I should have also included, I’m Baaack! ;) )

Hi guys!!!!!!
Howdy, sis!

Hi to you and Woody! Sorry to have missed you by just days! Maybe the stars will align for a meet up in 2021, we do have a trip booked over our shared day. ;)
I am bummed we had no overlap this year like we were supposed to! (Stupid Covid.) I’m looking forward to reading all about your fun! (And good to know about next year. 😁 )

Monday, July 20

I awakened in the pre-dawn early hours of the morning with a sour stomach. My first thought was, “I can’t be sick at Disney!” After getting up and walking around our villa for a little while I felt better and was able to eat breakfast with Em once she woke up.

Then we threw on our swimsuits and headed for the quiet pool. The quiet pool hours were 7 am - 11 pm while the main pool (with lifeguards, slide and kids splash area) didn’t open until 11 am and closed an hour earlier at 10 pm.

We were content with the peaceful sanctuary of the quiet pool ~ for awhile anyway.

View attachment 490931

Typically Em and I have the quiet pool (almost) to ourselves during early morning. But only a few minutes after I took the above picture more families began to arrive. Families with energetic children. The quiet pool was far from quiet.

But an interesting phenomenon occurred during our morning pool sessions that week....by 10:50 am, the quiet pool was usually devoid of families with children.

Why?

Because those families had gathered up their stuff in order to make the move to the feature pool....which was naturally much more appealing to their children! 🤣

Em and I enjoyed a mix of sun and clouds as we relaxed.

View attachment 490930
I love Em's swimsuite too. I really want those towel clips! Where did you get those?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom