Shouldn't the toys belong to Bonnie now?

mharrington

Original Poster
A few months ago, Rob Plays put out a video that talks about Toy Story Land at the Studios, describing it as a toy amusement park that Andy built in his yard:

More to the point, the video goes into detail on how much, theoretically, it would have cost Andy to build this park the way it is seen now. But I digress.

However, I can't help but wonder, chronologically speaking at least, don't these toys actually belong to Bonnie now and not Andy? Not only did he hand his toys over to her at the end of "Toy Story 3", and thus they are her toys in "Toy Story 4" (more or less), but we also have a few Toy Story shorts and even some holiday specials, all showing the toys as in Bonnie's possession. Doesn't that seem kind of contradictory?

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

A few months ago, Rob Plays put out a video that talks about Toy Story Land at the Studios, describing as a toy amusement park that Andy built in his yard:

More to the point, the video goes into detail on how much, theoretically, it would have cost Andy to build this park the way it is seen now. But I digress.

However, I can't help but wonder, chronologically speaking at least, don't these toys actually belong to Bonnie now and not Andy? Not only did he hand his toys over to her at the end of "Toy Story 3", and thus they are her toys in "Toy Story 4" (more or less), but we also have a few Toy Story shorts and even some holiday specials, all showing the toys as in Bonnie's possession. Doesn't that seem kind of contradictory?

I agree..It never made sense to me as to why they have stated this is Andy's Backyard..But, somehow by miraculous fate he somehow acquired Bonnie Toys including Forky....Yeeeahh, Makes Perfect sense..
Image result for woody reaction gif

Moka

I don't think they were really going for continuity for the land, even if that would've made more sense. I think they were aiming for more "classic toy story" or something like that. Everyone knows Andy, possibly not everyone knows Bonnie if they didn't bother to watch the newer films.

Yeah I honestly don't know lol.

JIMINYCR

Simply because the lands backstory is that Andy built the land in HIS backyard with HIS toys. So it predates the passing of the toys to Bonnie. If it was Bonnies toys then the backstory would say.... After Andy gifted the toys to her.... The land focuses on Andy's childhood and how he played with his toys.

mharrington

Original Poster
I don't think they were really going for continuity for the land, even if that would've made more sense. I think they were aiming for more "classic toy story" or something like that. Everyone knows Andy, possibly not everyone knows Bonnie if they didn't bother to watch the newer films.

Yeah I honestly don't know lol.

But as the video pointed out, Forky from the fourth movie is in the land as well. He was the creation not of Andy, but of Bonnie.

Moka

But as the video pointed out, Forky from the fourth movie is in the land as well. He was the creation not of Andy, but of Bonnie.
But wasn't Forky added after Toy Story 4 was released? Again, I'm really not sure about all this. Like I said they probably just mixed everything together and didn't bother with story timeline.

mharrington

Original Poster
But wasn't Forky added after Toy Story 4 was released? Again, I'm really not sure about all this. Like I said they probably just mixed everything together and didn't bother with story timeline.

Yes, he was.

Simply because the lands backstory is that Andy built the land in HIS backyard with HIS toys. So it predates the passing of the toys to Bonnie. If it was Bonnies toys then the backstory would say.... After Andy gifted the toys to her.... The land focuses on Andy's childhood and how he played with his toys.

But not just the chronology of the movies, but also the fact that Forky is in the land now contradicts things a bit, since Andy had absolutely nothing to do with Forky.

Kate F

If there’s anything I can draw from this thread, it’s that Toy Story as a franchise really doesn’t lend itself well to an entire themed land. Radiator Springs is a major location in the Cars series and lends itself to being replicated in a park. The Toy Story series doesn’t really have anything like that, therefore, they had to get creative and come up with the idea of it being Andy’s backyard. Honestly, what else would they base it around? Pizza Planet? SunnySide?

Cmdr_Crimson

But not just the chronology of the movies, but also the fact that Forky is in the land now contradicts things a bit, since Andy had absolutely nothing to do with Forky.
Also.....
IMO Woody and Bo shouldn't be there doing M&G's as they are runaway toys but, then there is the issue of him being in TSM

Now, if it was still the Pixar Place Asthetic I could then understand the characters being there as it was a "Studio Aspect" having the Actors there doing their daily things Similar to How Pixar Pier Works. But, as they are leaning towards to lands of escapeism it's where it gets confusing in a Studio themed park.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

Aren't narrative and story the same thing?

Narrative= you’re playing in andy’s wonderful backyard playset!

Story= You’re playing in a backyard playset that used to be andy’s but Bonnie put it together and she just made Forky but woah! Woody and his gal pal shouldn’t be there also why are the footprints in the concrete child so damn big it’s cannon though are we the size of the toys or not because there is no scale...

Theme park lands do NOT do well with too much story. The story narrative falls apart.

The world “Adventureland” says more than any convoluted story behind it.

The best part about a good theme park land, you write your own story. You write your own narrative. You suspend your disbelief, which feels oh so good.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Does it really matter? This is the sort of thinking that caused some of the problems with Galaxy's Edge.
After reading some of the questions about why doesnt this fit or why this isnt exactly connecting ( for this land and others) I want to scream... It doesnt matter, youre there to have fun. Its an amusement park of fantasy. Everything doesnt have to exactly fit to make it enjoyable. Just enjoy it and dont overthink things. The park isnt going to fall apart because Forky is in Andys backyard.

Roy G. Dis

If there’s anything I can draw from this thread, it’s that Toy Story as a franchise really doesn’t lend itself well to an entire themed land. Radiator Springs is a major location in the Cars series and lends itself to being replicated in a park. The Toy Story series doesn’t really have anything like that, therefore, they had to get creative and come up with the idea of it being Andy’s backyard. Honestly, what else would they base it around? Pizza Planet? SunnySide?

I wish they'd do it over again and make it Pixar-themed instead of Toy Story-themed.

mharrington

Original Poster
Does it really matter? This is the sort of thinking that caused some of the problems with Galaxy's Edge.

I thought part of Galaxy's Edge's problem was that they blocked out APs to keep crowds manageable (at Disneyland anyway) and that "Rise of the Resistance" was not yet open.

Still seems weird in DL to me where it just doesn't fit in the location they placed it compared to DHS which makes more sense being close to Star Tours..

But Star Tours is nowhere near the Star Wars land in Florida either. There's still another section in the way, with Muppet-Vision 3D there. Mind you, I have no idea how much longer Muppet-Vision will be around (I hope it is, personally), but even if they were to get rid of it and replace it with something else, the fact remains that Star Tours and Galaxy's Edge are still too far away from each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom