Should we still come?

LKey

Original Poster
My family has been planning a trip to WDW for almost a year now and so looking forward to it. We were supposed to be there October 1st. But since the attack this week the rest of my family thinks it's crazy for us to still go on our trip. Should we be scared out of going on our dream vacation?

PS we're supposed to be staying at a time-share exchange that was a gift. There is no canceling it without losing our enitre vacation - it can't be postponed!!:confused:

DisneyFreak

That is a very tough question LKey. If it was me and I was going on a trip whether domestic or abroad I would go. I'm not going to let a terrorist dictate my life and what I want to do. I am not afraid of dying though, if it's meant to be for me than I will deal with it at that time.

Airport secruity will be a such a maximum height that we should feel safe in the air but there will be that apprehension in the back of our minds. The odds of something else of this magnitude are so astronomical it boggles the mind. Before Tuesday only one flight in the last 11 years has been hi-jacked in America (1991). That is over millions of flights.

I have tickets for a flight in December that I still plan on getting on and another in February. Whether my Wife does or not is a different story since she's a nervous flier as it is already. I guess it just depends what your gut tells you. You have to make the decision based on what you think and how you feel the safety of your family will be effected. I hope you come to a decision that you and your family are comfortable with.

The Mom

Premium Member
Lkey, none of us knows what the future has in store for us! I plan on continuing my planned activities until something absolutely prevents me. My brother is supposed to fly here on Monday...I am going along as if it is a reality...getting the guest room ready,planning meals, etc. I will deal with any changes when and if I must. If I were planning a trip, I would not change my plans (except to allow more time to check in) unless I was forced to by cancellations. I am not ignoring what has happened, nor will I ever forgive or forget, but I must also show the world that I will not cower in fear!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm supposed to leave for WDW on the 25th of this month. We at first said, "NO WAY" but after thinking about it, we're not going to let any terrorist wreck our vacation.

Scooter

1% of the people in this world are evil..the other 99% are good. I for one am NOT going to let that 1% run my life.

With tightened airport security, this should not happen again, at least not for a long while. The terrorist seem to be targeting Federal buildings not theme parks.

Life offers no guarentees...we could be struck by a BUS crossing the street or hit by a stray bullet on a street corner.

I say go on your vacation and don't think about what happened..a Disney vacation would be great right about now....we have had enough depression in our lives the last 3 days. What we need now is some happiness and laughter and I can't think of a better place to get it than Disney World

mightyduck

I would go. If I could fly to Orlando and spend next week there, I would do it without thinking twice.

I always consider when I get on an airplane that I have less "control" than when I drive my car (although a bad driver could certainly take that away on the road, too), but I have always said that I would rather take the chances of something happening when I'm doing what I want to do then be safe and do nothing.

I think it's a personal decision. I'm a good flyer--I'm mostly trying to figure out how I will deal with not having the WTC towers as my landmark from the air--always the beacon that I am home safely.

popkid

Originally posted by mightyduck
I think it's a personal decision. I'm a good flyer--I'm mostly trying to figure out how I will deal with not having the WTC towers as my landmark from the air--always the beacon that I am home safely.

i used to see the towers every morning on the way to work... now there's just nothing but smoke... it's just unreal...

i would imagine flying now is going to be safer than it has ever been after this disaster.... security is going to increase, and i'm sure carry on luggage will be heavily scrutinized, if still allowed on at all...

DisneyFreak

Originally posted by popkid

security is going to increase, and i'm sure carry on luggage will be heavily scrutinized, if still allowed on at all...

They have talked about only allowing purses and briefcases. They have also mentioned going to a domestic passport.

MrPromey

Some of us have lived all our lives with a strong sense of comfort, of protection. What happened two days ago would have been unthinkable just three days ago. The truth, though, is that it could probably have happened at any time. It could have been a year ago or possibly next month when you are/were to be in the air. Without making light of any of the events this week, what has taken place doesn't make anything more dangerous than it would have been several days ago. If anything, you will be safer. We live in a dangerous world. The potential for injury or loss of life circles around most of us every day without us even realizing it. The only thing that has changed about that is our awareness. Hopefully that is something that won't soon go away. If you have already made plans to go and are still able to, I think you should. Too many people have lost their lives to these tragic events already. The best way you can show respect for them and prove to our adversaries that we will remain undefeated is to continue living yours.

LKey

Original Poster
Actually, we are driving to Florida. . . we've been concerned about security at WDW and the possiblity of it being a future target for any kinds of attacks not just airplanes.

JAY-ROD

If it was me I would go. We cant let them run ourlives. If we showed fear in them, then they have already won. We are one great nation and we will overcome this.

MrPromey

I highly, highly doubt you have anything to be concerned about with that. Without getting into one of my typical long, drawn out posts WDW would probably not provide the kind of satisfaction as a target that most of these groups seem to be after. I would be MUCH more concerned with going to a large sporting event where tens of thousands of people are contained under one roof. Even that though, is not something I think we should avoid. What has happened is terrible but we can't let it change our way of life forever. If you are afraid to go to WDW today, will that fear die off a few months from now? Will it take a year or possibly a few years? Are you just never going to go again because something *could* happen? There is nothing wrong with being cautions or careful but like I said before, the world isn't any less safe today than it was a week ago. We can't hide from it forever and I'm sure once your family is there, you will all feel much better.

DisneyFreak

Originally posted by Mikejakester

I've even heard of placing US undercover marshall on every plane from now on...
Not sure about that...

They used to do that constantly back in the 70's and 80's. They still do it today but to a much lesser extent. I have no problem with an armed Marshall on my flight. Nobody knows he is there anyway, not even the pilots or flight crews.

mightyduck

Originally posted by DisneyFreak

They used to do that constantly back in the 70's and 80's. They still do it today but to a much lesser extent. I have no problem with an armed Marshall on my flight. Nobody knows he is there anyway, not even the pilots or flight crews.

That wouldn't bother me, as long as if he sat next to me he didn't hog the armrest... ;)

Lance

These terrorists wanted to change America, make us fear everything around us. I don't fear anything, this has made me a stronger American.

You can't let these tragedies ruin your plans for the future. I would definatley go to the world anytime after this.

chellnjr

My husband and I are supposed to leave on the 27th of this month. We have had this same discussion. Since we are driving the airplanes have not been the center of our discussions, but the safety while there. Honestly, I do not think they would attack a park. They seemed to be going for the institutions of America. I think I need a vacation now more than ever. Thanks for letting me share my view.

I would like to say that I am very touched to see how all of America is standing together on this one. It also does my heart good to see all of the other countries stepping forward and offering their support and assistance.

God Bless!

Lofatrules

Sky Marshals

Originally posted by mightyduck

That wouldn't bother me, as long as if he sat next to me he didn't hog the armrest... ;)

they are talking about putting the sky marshals back on planes, but the problem is the volume of domestic flights. There are literally tens of Thousands of domestic flights every day and there is no way to physically hire that many marshals. I think that maybe what should be done is to institute a random sky marshal program to have random flights federally manned and then each airline should also be required to hire its on "marshals" and every flight they fly will have one or two extra "crew members" that would just concentrate on security aboard the plane. If ticket prices went up some because of this so be it as long as we are still alive when we land

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom