Should we ride FOP?

DisneyPrincess5

Hi all

DH and I are making a FP+ plan and we are thinking of skipping FOP. DH has an issue with simulator rides. He becomes very disoriented and nauseous (not just while riding...for hours after) and all the other issues people have who have issues with this type of ride.

We have watched the ride on YouTube a few times and we get the gist but only as much as you can from watching a ride video. He says he shouldn’t ride, but feels like he’s missing out so sometimes he says he’ll try. Oh boy.

For those who have ridden it-what are your thoughts on someone with major issues with screen/simulator rides riding it? Yay or nay?

Tinkerfan4ever

My husband rode Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and was the same way as your husband. Quite sick for hours after. Way too much simulator. He was very nervous about riding FOP but decided to try it. No problems at all. He did say it is a ride he couldn't do twice in a row, but he will ride it every trip.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Well it all depends on just how sensitive he is. He has seen it to get an idea of the motion his senses will encounter. If he does chance on doing it I'd say do it as late in the day as you can so it doesnt ruin the rest of your park time and if he needs to he could go back to the room and lay down to recuperate without ruining your day.

Upvote 0

Driver

Hi all

DH and I are making a FP+ plan and we are thinking of skipping FOP. DH has an issue with simulator rides. He becomes very disoriented and nauseous (not just while riding...for hours after) and all the other issues people have who have issues with this type of ride.

We have watched the ride on YouTube a few times and we get the gist but only as much as you can from watching a ride video. He says he shouldn’t ride, but feels like he’s missing out so sometimes he says he’ll try. Oh boy.

For those who have ridden it-what are your thoughts on someone with major issues with screen/simulator rides riding it? Yay or nay?
I too have issues with simulators, the unexpected jostling throws me off and when it's hot inside the ride vehicle ( body works, & Star Wars) that just finishes me off. FOP however does not do any of that to me. The "ride chair " is open air and during the simulation you feel a breeze. The motion is VERY smooth and fluid, and in perfect time with the visual. I tell people it's very much like Soarin except it's simulates speed. Let's face it you are supposed to be on the back of a flying creature. To me Disney hit one out of the park. And as a side note I went with a friend on 12-13-17 who is also sensitive to simulators and he loved it!!

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your responses!
My husband rode Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and was the same way as your husband. Quite sick for hours after. Way too much simulator. He was very nervous about riding FOP but decided to try it. No problems at all. He did say it is a ride he couldn't do twice in a row, but he will ride it every trip.
Wow so interesting! See he’s great with FJ but did horribly with both Escape from Gringotts and the train because of the movement and the screen. The thing that’s tricky about my DH is that he is fine with things you think would be a problem like FJ, but the train sent him over the edge so it’s very hard to know what will be ok and won’t, until he tries it. We found out the hard way with UoE. Huge screen with lots of movement was too much for him standing still or moving slowly.
Well it all depends on just how sensitive he is. He has seen it to get an idea of the motion his senses will encounter. If he does chance on doing it I'd say do it as late in the day as you can so it doesnt ruin the rest of your park time and if he needs to he could go back to the room and lay down to recuperate without ruining your day.
Referencing my thoughts above, you’re totally right. Since it’s hard to know what’ll tip him, if we do ride this at all, we will aim for a FP at the end of our AK day.
I too have issues with simulators, the unexpected jostling throws me off and when it's hot inside the ride vehicle ( body works, & Star Wars) that just finishes me off. FOP however does not do any of that to me. The "ride chair " is open air and during the simulation you feel a breeze. The motion is VERY smooth and fluid, and in perfect time with the visual. I tell people it's very much like Soarin except it's simulates speed. Let's face it you are supposed to be on the back of a flying creature. To me Disney hit one out of the park. And as a side note I went with a friend on 12-13-17 who is also sensitive to simulators and he loved it!!
Great point about the ride area. It being open I’m sure helps. Hmm so interesting. It does sound amazing. We will see what he decides!

Upvote 0

Tinkerfan4ever

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Wow so interesting! See he’s great with FJ but did horribly with both Escape from Gringotts and the train because of the movement and the screen. The thing that’s tricky about my DH is that he is fine with things you think would be a problem like FJ, but the train sent him over the edge so it’s very hard to know what will be ok and won’t, until he tries it. We found out the hard way with UoE. Huge screen with lots of movement was too much for him standing still or moving slowly.

DH did fine on escape from Gringotts. But it is funny you mention UoE.. I do fine on all of the rides... but put me on UoE and I was nauseous after. I do agree Driver who said it is the open air that makes this easier to handle. It really is a great ride, Disney got this one right. I hope you and your husband are able to enjoy it!!!

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
DH did fine on escape from Gringotts. But it is funny you mention UoE.. I do fine on all of the rides... but put me on UoE and I was nauseous after. I do agree Driver who said it is the open air that makes this easier to handle. It really is a great ride, Disney got this one right. I hope you and your husband are able to enjoy it!!!
Hah what an interesting coincidence. He also has some anxiety and perseverates so he can’t tell sometimes when it’s legitimate or anxiety. He has agreed he should wear some sort of motion sickness bracelet or patch (placebo effect if nothing else) so we’ll see how things go.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
God, no, it's a horrible ride....don't. That way there are 2 FP+for me to snag. /s

Does he have a problem with Soarin'? Your banshee tilts forward, moves up and down, sometimes stopping in a downward tilt. But as others have mentioned, since you're simulating flying, there's always a breeze on your face.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
God, no, it's a horrible ride....don't. That way there are 2 FP+for me to snag. /s

Does he have a problem with Soarin'? Your banshee tilts forward, moves up and down, sometimes stopping in a downward tilt. But as others have mentioned, since you're simulating flying, there's always a breeze on your face.
Good question. He has historically handled Soarin well. However, he didn’t start having this issues with screens and simulators until a few years ago like out of the blue and we haven’t ridden Soarin since as the last time we went it was being rehabed so unfortunately we’re not sure. But he has ridden it many times and has been fine prior to onset.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom