Should old rides be replaced?

How should Disney deal with replacing older attractions?

• Out with the old (classic), in with the new (thrill rides)!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the ride and what it is to be replaced with

Votes: 52 86.7%
  • No attraction should ever be replaced

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters

mickey04

Original Poster
Just curious as to what everyone's views are on replacing attractions. Personally, I understand the argument both for preserving and destroying older attractions. I understand that some rides to some people are sacred, while to others, they are expendible.

Walt believed in replacing attractions that didn't seem to meet the needs of the public any longer-- now whether or not rides like Mr. Toad or Horizons fit that description is certainly up for debate.

I think their comes a time when rides must be replaced. I must admit their are a few (like CoP and PoC) that I never want to see go, but if they had something worth replacing it with, I could accept it. (i.e. Horizons, which was great, with M:S which all signs seem to point to it being great).

What I do not approve of is closing attractions such as 20,000 Leagues and offering no suitable replacement.

And finally, as a side note, if you could have any ride reopened, replacing its replacement, what would it be? For me, it would be JII to replace JIYI.

General Grizz

Hey! Interesting topic! I would have to say, it depends!

There are certain attractions that I find that MUST stay in their original form, BUT can ALWAYS be technologically advanced (or updated in case of a time-sensitive attraction):
(1) Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
(2) It's a Small World
(3) The Enchanted Tiki Room
(4) Country Bear Jamboree
(5) Pirates of the Caribbean
(6) The Haunted Mansion

These are 6 attractions...and there will be "3" Magic Kingdom style parks in the USA coming up, if Disneyland 3rd Park comes to be this way. That means about 150 attractions maximum, and 6/150 is not too much to ask! Plus, these are the MILESTONES...these are what made it...these classics are still well-loved and are major crowd-pleasers. I should hope that each should live as long as the parks! Sentiment plays a major role - especially with die-hard fans.

But other attractions I think can be changed, as long as
(a) it still pleases the original guests while available to more people
(b) if it is a family-friendly attraction, it be replaced with a family-friendly attraction
(c) it has song, animatronics (especially if the original had them), and outstanding sets
(d) the theme and essence remains in a form, but can be brought to new levels

A great example would be the American Journeys to Timekeeper. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to Winnie the Pooh. (I must say this, because Toad still exists in Disneyland in its original form as far as park)...

...but it heart-brakes me to see something like Journey into Your Imagination with cuts off the quality, cuts off song, actually putting a warning sign, and lacking a total essence. I mean, then you compare this to the original...and BAM! It just breaks my heart! The same goes to me for Test Track, mainly because I think it lacks the essence (spirit), quality, and family-friendlinesss. That was the Walt Disney message...

So, yes. Attractions should change! But they should change PROGRESSIVELY...in a postive way taking the original ideals and putting them to new levels; new standards. I just haven't seen this in the past years...

And, of course, let's not forget attractions can be added! Splash Mountain was an excellent addition to the Magic Kingdom - probably one of the last greatest "hits" of originality: song, more family-friendly than other type "mountains", animatronics, sets...

There should be a mix of new...and a mix of original. And the new can still become classics: it just takes that spark (and budget!!) :D

SpongeScott

I'm ready for the rotten tomatoes...

I get tired of hearing from people--no one in particular--about how Walt would have done this or would not have done this and this ride needs to stay forever or this attraction should have never been built. Face it, things change in life and things will come and go. People won't let Horizons go or Mr. Toad or CoP; well, they're gone (for the most part) and all of our nostalgia for the rides you once loved won't bring them back. I think it's great that you enjoyed them so much, but it's over and bashing Disney over it isn't going to change things. There is a thing called progress and a thing called change, and for whatever reason, someone at Disney much more important than you or I will ever be felt the need to make a change. Let it go; I'm sure we all have bigger fish to fry than the loss of a favorite ride or attraction from Disney. You obviously still love the place or you wouldn't be frequenting the parks or Disney boards like you do, so let it go, and enjoy what is there to be offered to us now--while it's still there! Again, no personal attack is intended here to anyone, this is just my two cents on the changing of attractions.

Buford

There are all kinds of people in our world, and we all like different stuff. So the "hits" should stay...but if any attraction goes, at least let Disney release soundtracks and videos...and a quality replacement as well!! :)

Horizons38

Premium Member
Hi guys, sorry i voted the wrong answer, i meant "it depends" and i voted "never" it of course depends what ride and what it is gonna be replaced with ! For the rest i completely or almost completely agree with Grizz !:cool:

mickey04

Original Poster
Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Hey! Interesting topic! I would have to say, it depends!

There are certain attractions that I find that MUST stay in their original form, BUT can ALWAYS be technologically advanced (or updated in case of a time-sensitive attraction):
(1) Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
(2) It's a Small World
(3) The Enchanted Tiki Room
(4) Country Bear Jamboree
(5) Pirates of the Caribbean
(6) The Haunted Mansion

These are 6 attractions...and there will be "3" Magic Kingdom style parks in the USA coming up, if Disneyland 3rd Park comes to be this way. That means about 150 attractions maximum, and 6/150 is not too much to ask! Plus, these are the MILESTONES...these are what made it...these classics are still well-loved and are major crowd-pleasers. I should hope that each should live as long as the parks! Sentiment plays a major role - especially with die-hard fans.

But other attractions I think can be changed, as long as
(a) it still pleases the original guests while available to more people
(b) if it is a family-friendly attraction, it be replaced with a family-friendly attraction
(c) it has song, animatronics (especially if the original had them), and outstanding sets
(d) the theme and essence remains in a form, but can be brought to new levels

A great example would be the American Journeys to Timekeeper. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to Winnie the Pooh. (I must say this, because Toad still exists in Disneyland in its original form as far as park)...

...but it heart-brakes me to see something like Journey into Your Imagination with cuts off the quality, cuts off song, actually putting a warning sign, and lacking a total essence. I mean, then you compare this to the original...and BAM! It just breaks my heart! The same goes to me for Test Track, mainly because I think it lacks the essence (spirit), quality, and family-friendlinesss. That was the Walt Disney message...

So, yes. Attractions should change! But they should change PROGRESSIVELY...in a postive way taking the original ideals and putting them to new levels; new standards. I just haven't seen this in the past years...

And, of course, let's not forget attractions can be added! Splash Mountain was an excellent addition to the Magic Kingdom - probably one of the last greatest "hits" of originality: song, more family-friendly than other type "mountains", animatronics, sets...

There should be a mix of new...and a mix of original. And the new can still become classics: it just takes that spark (and budget!!) :D

I've gotta say, I agree almost 100%. I must admit, I really like Test Track, however, I never rode WoM, so I guess I really can't make any sort of decision there. But the rest- replacing a family-friendly with a family-friendly ride, etc. I completely agree with. Unfortunately there are many out there who only want the new ultra-thrill, 0G, 500ft drop rollercoasters. Too bad. But at least there are a great deal of people herewho understand the value of these classics, based on the fact that everyone voted for (or meant to vote for) that it depends on the situation.

On a side note, I knew Disneyland was probably going to get a 3rd park, but I hadn't heard that it was going to be MK style. Do you have any more information on that? Sounds really great. I wish i could get out there more often.

mickey04

Original Poster
Originally posted by grizzlyhall
www.thirdthemepark.com - it has all kinds of attractions listed as possible, so I am sure classics could fit in!! :D

Thanks for the link, Grizz, but I just got "STAY TUNED FOR SOME EXCITING NEWS!!" and what appears to be a picture from ToT, I guessing from the soon-to-open DCA attraction.

Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow. Can't wait to read about the third park!

SirNim

Originally posted by mickey04
Thanks for the link, Grizz, but I just got "STAY TUNED FOR SOME EXCITING NEWS!!" and what appears to be a picture from ToT, I guessing from the soon-to-open DCA attraction.

Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow. Can't wait to read about the third park!

That link used to be under theadministration of WDI, but recently, it must've been taken over and replaced with a single screen with "exciting news". Now it's got a picture of the ?Fifth Dimension? at the ToT.

JLW11Hi

No? Lol, ok!

Well, I am all for updating attractions whenever Disney plans to do a quality job. Now, I am very nostalgic when it comes to Disney, but I never complain when Disney makes changes for the overall enjoyment of their guests.

Now, I believe that many of the classic attractions have wonderful storylines and meanings, but need to be physically updated with new technologies, new tracks, new AAs, etc. Small World, Haunted Mansion, and Country Bears, for example. They are all great ideas for attractions, and I love them, but if Disney were to be designing these ideas for today's crowd, opposed to just "refurbishing" the original attractions from the 1960s, just think of how much more fun they would be! I know it can be done. I love the idea of going on a tour of a haunted mansion filled with ghosts and abnormal behavior. There are many ways todays Imagineers can work with that! I rode the Haunted mansion Holiday at DL, and man, that was the most fun I've ever had on the ride! They literally filled every nook and cranny with decorations and stuff, new animatronics, new scenery, new everything! Now just think if the Imagineers were to update the normal version of the ride! It can be done.

HMGhost13

let me just post on the Mansion side of this whole deal (like always :D)

as all is known and stated for those who didn't know in the latest secrets on the travel channel, Haunted mansion was the LAST ride that had disney's influenece (for those who are gonna start saying "What about Epcot?" i did say RIDE). that alone should be enough to keep it. for at least a very long time. that and the fact it's a ride favorite, got it's on spot in the show mentioned above :D

FigmentJedi

I voted depends on the ride. From what I have seen of JII on ride videos, it was a ride that would seem to be a immortal attraction ( one that didn't need to be replaced). Then they got rid of it and put in crappy JIYI which fortunatly is mostly gone and replaced with JII with Figment which is a good ride. I never rode any of the Epcot classics (except spaceship earth) and I wish they still existed. My dad still has photos from his trip with my mom in 1984 and I have seen bits and pieces of World of Motion and Horizons. I am against project gemini because what's left of Epcot should be preserved for future generations. Besides, Time Racers could be done without gutting spaceship earth: speed the vehicles up.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Yes - Its called progress. Disney hasn't got unlimited land and if the rides/attractions never changed then guests would get bored and numbers would decrease.

Ansem

I don't think old rides should just be thrown out....there are just somethings that are wonderful as they are.Just the same, you can't keep things as they are now forever, or else people will lose interest.(not that most of us fans wouldn't stay faithful)
I think Disney has always been responsible in choosing what goes and what stays, and I am very pleased to notice a constant metamorphosis inside all Disney parks.

-Ansem:king:

Epcot is my fav

It depends on the ride.......I wouldnt mind Jungle Cruise being replaced (I KNOW ITS NOT GOING ANYWHERE) but i would be both mad and sad if say HM or PotC or COP were taken out

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom