Should Marvel have it’s own theme park

ZoneOfTheEnder

Original Poster
As Disney’s IP increases and especially with IP from not related media types - Classic Disney and Disney Movies (before acquiring Marvel and LucasFilms) and the now constant addons at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot of interloper IP. Since Iger’s Disney has bought all these new IPs I believe they should go into their own theme parks and the original Theme Parks should stay on mission.
What do you think?

Alice a

Unlikely, at best, at least stateside and with the current management, even before the pandemic. They much prefer repurposing existing attractions.

Also the existing WDW parks needed more capacity/stuff to do before all this. New gates do not need to be built until what's already there is fleshed out.

Heppenheimer

Taking the long view, they may not want to devote an entire park to something that may not indefinitely enjoy a high level of popularity. This is probably the reason today that we have Frontierland instead of obsolete Disney parks exclusively devoted to Western themes.

And then there's also the issue of Universal holding the east coast theme park rights to many of the most popular Marvel properties.

Imagineer45

Marvel is trendy at the moment, and it is not a good idea to build an entire park around a trend. A land is a good idea because lands come and go, parks last indefinitely. I am not saying Marvel will not be popular in the distant future, but it likely will not have the same relevance as it does today.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Nah fam. Like others have said, trends will come and go.

Universal had it right solely only doing it based purely on the comic books instead of the films (even for its time).

Cmdr_Crimson

Oh, They did....They took a DisneyQuest route....
45fa7383a3a0c71e932bf1142bf5d78e.jpg

And boy did that disappear after the merger....It's now just called Adventure City with all the Marvel names and themes removed..

A perfect example of this was Spiderman The Ultimate Ride...

Annnnndd...Here's what it is now....The Adventure Heroes Laser Ride..

Heppenheimer

Oh, They did....They took a DisneyQuest route....
45fa7383a3a0c71e932bf1142bf5d78e.jpg

And boy did that disappear after the merger....It's now just called Adventure City with all the Marvel names and themes removed..

A perfect example of this was Spiderman The Ultimate Ride...

Annnnndd...Here's what it is now....The Adventure Heroes Laser Ride..

Ah, Clifton Hill, where good taste and subtlety have never shown their face... although still better than anything on the NY side of the river.

JIMINYCR

No... Its more likely and more advantageous that Disney would want to make it a part of a multi purposed park than build it as a one park Marvel theme. Having a diverse character themed park would likely draw more individuals and families other than just those Marvel specific fans. Marvel heroes and villains along with other Disney of that type not only builds more interest but Disney would profit more by being able to display and sell a larger variety of merchandise.

Giss Neric

Marvel is trendy at the moment, and it is not a good idea to build an entire park around a trend. A land is a good idea because lands come and go, parks last indefinitely. I am not saying Marvel will not be popular in the distant future, but it likely will not have the same relevance as it does today.
Frozen was literally as big as Marvel. No E-Ticket and not even a land. Just a small ride at Epcot. How dare they. Now we have Marvel land but we have another shooting game for one of the most popular Marvel characters. The least they could do is beat Universal's Spiderman ride.

Imagineer45

Frozen was literally as big as Marvel. No E-Ticket and not even a land. Just a small ride at Epcot. How dare they. Now we have Marvel land but we have another shooting game for one of the most popular Marvel characters. The least they could do is beat Universal's Spiderman ride.
Frozen has never been as big as Marvel is, and Frozen is getting a land (at DLP and HKDL). We have no idea how the Spiderman ride will be until it opens and we ride it, but making a ride similar to Universal's would likely have been a bad idea. Disney does not need a petty competition with Universal.

Po'Rich

I don't think Marvel should have an entire park. If legally possible, I could see a land at Hollywood Studios (which has become a catch-all for IPs).

Mickey5150

Something I've always thought would be cool for a Marvel Theme Park would be for it to be a standalone park. It would be the Avengers Tower, a skyscraper that would contain levels for a hotel, levels for a theme park, levels for shops, levels for offices, and they could even do dvc or golden oaks style ownership. Being a self contained building it would allow them to build it anywhere, weather would not have to be a factor.

Kate F

The idea of a Marvel park as its own thing doesn’t bother me, but as a potential fifth gate for WDW, I don’t think any IP warrants an entire Disney park dedicated to it. Then again, I don’t think a fifth gate should happen anytime soon regardless of the theme.

Fox&Hound

As has been said before, a generic cityscape environment (NY, etc) would be pretty boring for a park. Yes they have other worlds like in the Thor movies but I think in general the landscapes are not as iconic or places people would want to visit i.e. Carsland, Avatar, Hogwarts, etc

danlb_2000

Premium Member

By what measure was Frozen "as big as Marvel"? If you go by box office, the two Frozen movies made just about as much as Avengers Endgame alone made.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom