Should it stay or should it go.

Should Disney do away with tipping and pay servers a fair wage instead?

• Yes

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 54.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roakor

Original Poster
Not looking for a debate just a simple yes/no vote. I am curious as to which way the current public opinion is going. No reply needed just a vote. In other words please don't get this thread locked.

CaptainAmerica

The question is built on a flawed premise.

Servers agree to their wage when they apply for and accept the job. Thus, the wage is already fair. If they found it unfair, they wouldn't have taken the job.

Hockey89

The question is built on a flawed premise.

Servers agree to their wage when they apply for and accept the job. Thus, the wage is already fair. If they found it unfair, they wouldn't have taken the job.
That's logic.... Plus, the push for high end places is so dish washers ect make more.... A waiter may make more in the tip system.... Plus, the average increase to prices is 17-33%.... Yeah, I would be excited to pay even more for Disney food... not....

CaptainAmerica

With my boss hat on, if I have to pay my staff more I have two options: layoffs or raise prices. Your choice.
In theory you can raise prices and that'll be offset by the guest not tipping, so it would be a wash. I think the bigger problem is that tipping incentivizes quality serves. If the "tip" gets baked into the base wage, there's no reason for the server to work for the extra money. I'd like to see more discretionary tipping, not less. I hate the idea of a 15% baseline even for terrible service. I think there should be a huge spread between poor service and exceptional service.

One unique problem where I sympathize with WDW servers is the large number of international guests. Many of those folks are unaccustomed to the gratuity system and that part of their servers' compensation comes from tipping.

danyoung56

I voted no, based on the fact that most restaurants have yet to implement this standard. If the rest of the country starts doing it, then I'm all for it.

Roakor

Original Poster
By fair wage I was simply implying that they would no longer be making the below minimum wage they currently are. What the actual amount would be is up for debate, but not here. Same for raising of prices. I would expect prices to increase if any cost increases. Once again there is much room for debate, and once again not here. With most countries outside the US already using a no tipping policy and with some restaurants in the US either changing to or considering moving to it, I was just looking to see which way the general public was currently swaying. I really wasn't trying to advocate for one or the other (i haven't even cast a vote). I'm sorry if my wording was off but to word it properly (so as to avoid arguments) would likely require a team of lawyers and result in a question that only someone with a doctorate degree would understand.

Punky

As someone in the service industry (I'm a hairstylist) absolutely NOT! Sometimes you make more in tips than most people make weekly/biweekly.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
What's a fair wage? I'm not looking to skimp on the wait staff's ability to live, but the cost increase will be passed on the customers and its already very expensive to eat at Disney. Btw, I do tip the wait staff on average 20%.

Its a tough job, and I try to accommodate as much as possible.

harryk

At one time the dining plans included tips - service suffered -- tips eliminated -- service improved.
'nuff said.

Hockey89

By fair wage I was simply implying that they would no longer be making the below minimum wage they currently are. What the actual amount would be is up for debate, but not here. Same for raising of prices. I would expect prices to increase if any cost increases. Once again there is much room for debate, and once again not here. With most countries outside the US already using a no tipping policy and with some restaurants in the US either changing to or considering moving to it, I was just looking to see which way the general public was currently swaying. I really wasn't trying to advocate for one or the other (i haven't even cast a vote). I'm sorry if my wording was off but to word it properly (so as to avoid arguments) would likely require a team of lawyers and result in a question that only someone with a doctorate degree would understand.
You don't want a debate just asking a loaded question that will bring up debate... brilliant

Roakor

Original Poster
You don't want a debate just asking a loaded question that will bring up debate... brilliant

Its human nature, people see what they want to see. The anonymity of the internet then empowers them to declare those perceptions to everyone else and point fingers that can't be traced back to them. If you wish to see a loaded question you will, if you do not, you won't. I really don't care. I was merely trying to see which way people's opinion was swaying. Tipping system or no tipping system. My reason for including the part about a "fair wage" was because I didn't want people to think servers didn't deserve compensation for the hard work they do. Perhaps i should have worded it different. I could have been wrong. I'm not perfect.

DisneyChik17

Are there any Disney table service employees on these boards? I believe I' d much rather make tips at WDW.

My friends that work in the TS restaurants would certainly agree. My friends live like KINGS on tips. And I don't mean BS "baller" stuff, I'm talking huge down payments on houses, cash for cars, private education for their kids, cash for college for themselves, real personal investments.

Hockey89

Its human nature, people see what they want to see. The anonymity of the internet then empowers them to declare those perceptions to everyone else and point fingers that can't be traced back to them. If you wish to see a loaded question you will, if you do not, you won't. I really don't care. I was merely trying to see which way people's opinion was swaying. Tipping system or no tipping system. My reason for including the part about a "fair wage" was because I didn't want people to think servers didn't deserve compensation for the hard work they do. Perhaps i should have worded it different. I could have been wrong. I'm not perfect.
Oh lord.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom