Should I Stay? I'm not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate F

Original Poster
Earlier this year, I started to be more active on this site than I had been for the past few years. I enjoyed participating in conversations, making new threads, and reading about all the latest WDW happenings. Obviously this year has been a complete mess in numerous ways, but nothing set off a fire in me quite as much as one particular announcement in late June...

As you all know, I was very, very, VERY upset with the Splash Mountain announcement and I have yet to let go of that frustration. I started losing confidence in both the future of the ride and myself a few days after the announcement, with people everywhere on the boards saying that there's a slim chance of cancellation and even some members making fun of people like me trying to save the ride and acting like it's not that big of a deal, that "this isn't the death of Disney." I felt like the voices backing Disney's decision were louder and that there was no use trying to speak up against it because who is going to listen to me? I've made my opinion clear and that's that, I can't exactly change people's minds after all. However, I didn't want to have to keep reading posts about how it'll be the "same ride, different theme," "you might like the new one," "the ride was in trouble from the beginning," and all the other phrases uttered that back Disney's decision and attempt to lessen the huge blow that this actually is, so I decided to take a hiatus.

Now something good that came out of this situation was that I started to post on my old Splash Mountain Instagram account again and I joined the Save Splash Mountain group on Facebook. I had been hoping to find a group of people who shared my appreciation for the attraction for awhile, and while the circumstance might not have been ideal, I finally managed to find some friends. That's one thing I can be thankful for with this whole ordeal and I encourage Splash fans to join it, even if you think the effort to save it is hopeless.

I made a status update earlier today about how I wasn't sure if I wanted to be part of these forums anymore considering how many people here are backing Disney's stupid decision and acting like they're "right" for having that opinion. I also mentioned on the FB group about how most people here seem to have just accepted it, whether they agree with it or not. There are people on the group telling me I should stay and fight because my one voice speaking out against it is better than nothing, but I'm not going to lie, it's intimidating when it feels like nothing you say and nothing you do will make an impact.

At the moment, I just don't feel happy here and there seems to be a pessimistic vibe that I don't want to involve myself with. Should I ditch this place for other communities, or should I just stand my ground and not let the negativity get to me?

manmythlegend

I guess I lead a simple, boring life, but I can't imagine getting upset about a theme park ride. There must be more to it. Care to share?

People have gotten upset about much less. Just take the people getting offended about Trader Jose's and Trader Ming's.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Most people will back Disney no matter what they do. They could rename the theme park Caitlyn Jenner World and people will still come and pay money. Jack 1 day tickets to $300, no problem, people will pay. There are a lot of Disney apologists lurking around just waiting to identify someone who dares to question the company.

epcotisbest

It’s my favorite and I feel like closing it will seriously deteriorate my love for Disney parks. You’re not upset by it, good for you. Am I not allowed to be though?

Of course you are allowed to feel how you feel. Where did you get the idea I thought otherwise? I just said I can't imagine getting upset about a theme park ride. I was referring to me and simply asked if you would like to share your feelings. Sorry to have bothered to attempt a discussion on a discussion forum.

manmythlegend

Of course you are allowed to feel how you feel. Where did you get the idea I thought otherwise? I just said I can't imagine getting upset about a theme park ride. I was referring to me and simply asked if you would like to share your feelings. Sorry to have bothered to attempt a discussion on a discussion forum.

She shared her feelings in her OP. What are you looking for specifically?

Kate F

Original Poster
Alright, it just felt like you were poking fun at me a little for caring this much about it.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Earlier this year, I started to be more active on this site than I had been for the past few years. I enjoyed participating in conversations, making new threads, and reading about all the latest WDW happenings. Obviously this year has been a complete mess in numerous ways, but nothing set off a fire in me quite as much as one particular announcement in late June...
[snip,...]

I made a status update earlier today about how I wasn't sure if I wanted to be part of these forums anymore considering how many people here are backing Disney's stupid decision and acting like they're "right" for having that opinion. I also mentioned on the FB group about how most people here seem to have just accepted it, whether they agree with it or not. There are people on the group telling me I should stay and fight because my one voice speaking out against it is better than nothing, but I'm not going to lie, it's intimidating when it feels like nothing you say and nothing you do will make an impact.

At the moment, I just don't feel happy here and there seems to be a pessimistic vibe that I don't want to involve myself with. Should I ditch this place for other communities, or should I just stand my ground and not let the negativity get to me?

I learned from my participation in the Usenet of the 90s that online forums are a place where we can learn and share, but rarely convince others to change their minds. There are several threads in this wonderful forum that bother me, especially the ones with all of the covid arguing. I also am avoiding the Splash thread because of the same polarized arguing.

Because I enjoy discussing Disney so much, I found it best for me to not follow the threads that bother me and focus on the ones in which I can enjoy participating. For example, I really geek out on the stats in the RoTR boarding group thread.

I hope you can find a way to remain and enjoy this forum, but I completely understand your perspective and if you choose to participate elsewhere.

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

As you all know, I was very, very, VERY upset with the Splash Mountain announcement and I have yet to let go of that frustration. I started losing confidence in both the future of the ride and myself a few days after the announcement, with people everywhere on the boards saying that there's a slim chance of cancellation and even some members making fun of people like me trying to save the ride and acting like it's not that big of a deal, that "this isn't the death of Disney." I felt like the voices backing Disney's decision were louder and that there was no use trying to speak up against it because who is going to listen to me? I've made my opinion clear and that's that, I can't exactly change people's minds after all. However, I didn't want to have to keep reading posts about how it'll be the "same ride, different theme," "you might like the new one," "the ride was in trouble from the beginning," and all the other phrases uttered that back Disney's decision and attempt to lessen the huge blow that this actually is, so I decided to take a hiatus.

Now something good that came out of this situation was that I started to post on my old Splash Mountain Instagram account again and I joined the Save Splash Mountain group on Facebook. I had been hoping to find a group of people who shared my appreciation for the attraction for awhile, and while the circumstance might not have been ideal, I finally managed to find some friends. That's one thing I can be thankful for with this whole ordeal and I encourage Splash fans to join it, even if you think the effort to save it is hopeless.

Its a message board. The nice thing is you can take a break if you feel the need. No one is forcing you to participate. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I see both pro and con SM Re-theme positions represented here, just as you'd expect at any forum with people expressing their different opinions on a subject.

In regards to your question, maybe IG/FB for SM, and here for everything else?

manmythlegend

I see both pro and con SM Re-theme positions represented here, just as you'd expect at any forum with people expressing their different opinions on a subject.

In regards to your question, maybe IG/FB for SM, and here for everything else?

There are both pro and con re-theme positions but those who are pro re-theme have been a bit more rude in expressing themselves often labeling con re-themers as racist.

Pepper's Ghost

Never having rode Splash (no sense in getting into the reason) when I first read the original post, I didn't understand how this change could ruin the parks completely. I gave it some thought though and realized that this would be equal to if they decided to turn the Haunted Mansion into the Nightmare Before Christmas ride. I'd be devastated. HM is one of the main reasons I go to WDW. I ride it as many times as I can, and while I like NBC in general, I'd HATE if the changed my favorite ride like that.

With that said I now understand the devastated feeling. I do have one real life comparison though... Soarin' Over The World. I miss Soarin' Over California terribly. They ruined the ride in my opinion. I won't let it ruin my fun in the rest of the parks, but I will forever miss SOC. It's another ride that I go on as many times as I can each trip. I really do hope they eventually change it back. I highly doubt it though.

So, as a person who at first didn't understand the devastation, putting myself in a similar situation has made me understand. My suggestion is to try to find joy in the other wonderful attractions they will continue to have. I encourage you to fight to save Splash. I don't know that it will work, but maybe Disney will listen if enough lovers of the ride make enough noise. As for these boards, I ditto the thought of maybe taking a brief break, and then coming back and avoiding threads that turn negative, or are counter to your beliefs for a while. I hope you can win your fight, and if not I hope you can find peace and perhaps embrace the new or other attractions more.

JT3000

I guess I lead a simple, boring life, but I can't imagine getting upset about a theme park ride. There must be more to it. Care to share?

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up on a forum dedicated to theme parks? I ask because people usually join forums based on subjects they're passionate about...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom