Should I go to Disneyland?

BrianV

Original Poster
Just found out that my wife's annual conference will be this week (first week of April 17) in Anaheim. I usually don't travel with her but have never been to Disneyland despite having been to Disney world 20+ times. The conference hotel is the Hilton Anaheim.

My question is whether that time if year is too crowded to enjoy DisneyLand and whether that hotel is close enough?. We won't have a car and I don't know my way around Anaheim or really how big it is. Any advice?

Daannzzz

The Hilton Anaheim is within walking distance of the parks, or the Anaheim Resort Transit. You will not need to know Anaheim to get to the parks. Do it!!! :)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The Hilton Anaheim is within walking distance of the parks, or the Anaheim Resort Transit. You will not need to know Anaheim to get to the parks. Do it!!! :)

The Hilton Anaheim is where I stayed for my DL trip last year. You can definitely walk it. It isn't a short walk but it isn't too long either. I wouldn't pass up this opportunity if I were you...

BrianV

Original Poster

The Hilton Anaheim is where I stayed for my DL trip last year. You can definitely walk it. It isn't a short walk but it isn't too long either. I wouldn't pass up this opportunity if I were you...

Awesome. I may just do it. Sounds like there would be no reason to try to stay in a closer hotel and then switch to the conference hotel!

Are there perks you miss out on by not staying on-site?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Awesome. I may just do it. Sounds like there would be no reason to try to stay in a closer hotel and then switch to the conference hotel!

Are there perks you miss out on by not staying on-site?

I think the main perk for staying on site is the extra hour you get in the morning at one of the parks. Not sure what else. But as there are only 3 Disney resorts there, the prices for staying at one are crazy!

The Hilton Anaheim is a good location in my opinion. Maybe you can even score a view of the park!

BrianV

Original Poster
It would be not the week before but two weeks before Easter. My guess is it would be crowded but are the crowded times comparable to the crowded times at wdw?

D

Deleted member 107043

For a short trip with your wife, who may not be able to accompany you, you won't be missing much by not staying at an on site resort. Save the immersive onsite vacation for another time - maybe when SW Land opens. But by all means don't miss this chance to visit DLR! Better yet extend your trip and explore Southern California. There are so many cool things to see and do down there.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'll add that Anaheim is pretty dull. Not much going on there beyond DLR, so be prepared to be bored to death if you don't plan to spend all of your free time at DLR.

BrianV

Original Poster
For a short trip with your wife, who may not be able to accompany you, you won't be missing much by not staying at an on site resort. Save the immersive onsite vacation for another time - maybe when SW Land opens. But by all means don't miss this chance to visit DLR! Better yet extend your trip and explore Southern California. There are so many cool things to see and do down there.
So her conference is Wed to Sat. I'd probably come with her for a few days before or a few days after. Would love to see more but have to return to the kids who will be out of sorts to begin with! :)

Looks like that whole week coincides with school vacation week for locals unfortunately. I guess I could stay a few days after instead, but then I'd be there on a Sunday overlapping two potential school vacation weeks.

I've been to Disney world in the summer and over spring break. But this might be my one shot at Disney land.

We won't make these plans for a while, but since I just found out I'm a little excited now.

D

Deleted member 107043

img-thing

Rich T

Yes! Do it! Just go have fun; get a parkhopper and ride Pirates, Indy, Space Mtn, Matterhorn, RSR, Screamin', Grizzly, and the Fantasyland dark rides. Don't worry about crowds; DL's almost always crowded. The Single Rider lines will help tremendously. You'll be glad you went.

TP2000

My question is whether that time if year is too crowded to enjoy DisneyLand and whether that hotel is close enough?. We won't have a car and I don't know my way around Anaheim or really how big it is. Any advice?

Why wouldn't you go to Disneyland?!? Unless you are a nutjob Communist, I can't imagine any decent American not wanting to go to Disneyland at least once in their life. :cool:

The Disneyland Resort has more rides and attractions in its two parks than all four WDW parks combined. And for the last half decade the Disneyland Resort has had more daily major entertainment (parades, water shows, fireworks) than the four WDW parks combined. When the new DAK water show opens this month, WDW and Disneyland Resort will be tied for major daily entertainment.

And yet Disneyland Resort pulls all of this off in a footprint slightly smaller than the Epcot park/hotel area, as seen in this satellite image taken of Epcot and Disneyland Resort at the same scale.

dlrepcotcomparison.jpg

The Anaheim Hilton is just out of this photo, at the very bottom of the image. It's a 15 minute walk from the Hilton to Disneyland's front gate, or they have shuttle buses that make the trip in 5 minutes. It might be helpful for you to play around on Google Earth, finding the Anaheim Hilton and then seeing how close both parks are.

Here's a view from a top floor room at the Hilton, looking due north towards DCA and Disneyland.
hilton-anaheim.jpg

That's the backside of Cars Land in the middle, the Tower of Terror on the right, and Space Mountain and the Matterhorn further beyond. (Disneyland fans can also spot the Hyperion Theatre, Carthay Circle tower, and Big Thunder Mountain in that photo) The squat office towers beyond the parks are downtown Anaheim a few miles north, and those are the Brea foothills 10 miles north, followed by the San Gabriel Mountains about 50 miles north.

This view may change by 2017, as the construction in the foreground is the expansion of the Anaheim Convention Center that will block some of this view.

BrianV

Original Poster
Why wouldn't you go to Disneyland?!? Unless you are a nutjob Communist, I can't imagine any decent American not wanting to go to Disneyland at least once in their life. :cool:

The Disneyland Resort has more rides and attractions in its two parks than all four WDW parks combined. And for the last half decade the Disneyland Resort has had more daily major entertainment (parades, water shows, fireworks) than the four WDW parks combined. When the new DAK water show opens this month, WDW and Disneyland Resort will be tied for major daily entertainment.

And yet Disneyland Resort pulls all of this off in a footprint slightly smaller than the Epcot park/hotel area, as seen in this satellite image taken of Epcot and Disneyland Resort at the same scale.

dlrepcotcomparison.jpg

The Anaheim Hilton is just out of this photo, at the very bottom of the image. It's a 15 minute walk from the Hilton to Disneyland's front gate, or they have shuttle buses that make the trip in 5 minutes. It might be helpful for you to play around on Google Earth, finding the Anaheim Hilton and then seeing how close both parks are.

Here's a view from a top floor room at the Hilton, looking due north towards DCA and Disneyland.
hilton-anaheim.jpg

That's the backside of Cars Land in the middle, the Tower of Terror on the right, and Space Mountain and the Matterhorn further beyond. (Disneyland fans can also spot the Hyperion Theatre, Carthay Circle tower, and Big Thunder Mountain in that photo) The squat office towers beyond the parks are downtown Anaheim a few miles north, and those are the Brea foothills 10 miles north, followed by the San Gabriel Mountains about 50 miles north.

This view may change by 2017, as the construction in the foreground is the expansion of the Anaheim Convention Center that will block some of this view.

I am a good red-blooded apple-pie living American!

And I loved the pictures you posted.

First hurdle passed: location is good. But major hurdle is passed: wife said ok!!! So now it's just planning details!!! YAY!!!!

I cannot wait. Think we'll fly out a few days before and tour together and then ill fly home to take care of the kids and she will go to conference.

I'll be back with more questions. I am so excited. Strangely, I really want to see all the rides that are now gone from Disney world. Is Mr toad really still there? And the submarines? And ill need to learn where to eat. So much to learn...

Rich T

I am so excited. Strangely, I really want to see all the rides that are now gone from Disney world. Is Mr toad really still there? And the submarines? And ill need to learn where to eat. So much to learn...
Mr. Toad's still there and it's awesome! (Be sure to ride Alice in Wonderland, too). Subs are there and it's a cute dark ride in an awesome vehicle. Have a great time!!! :)

Princess Kaylee

Just found out that my wife's annual conference will be this week (first week of April 17) in Anaheim. I usually don't travel with her but have never been to Disneyland despite having been to Disney world 20+ times. The conference hotel is the Hilton Anaheim.

Do it, you can walk in. I would suggest getting there early!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom