Should I get my APs refunded?

ELG13

We were supposed to activate them in May but obviously did not. I have a short 3 day trip planned for December where all but one will be activated (my mom can't come). We also have our annual week long trip planned for April. I waited so long to become an AP holder and now it's kind of blah. I'm just wondering if they are going to save me any money like they would have when we first purchased them. When I got them last November, it was going to save us $400 on our big trip for may. But now I'm seeing a bunch of ticket deals and I'm not sure what next April will bring as far as deals but...has anyone done the math on these things? I'm not even sure where to start since ticket prices fluctuate. I'm not sure what to expect for next year.

RememberWhen

If they aren’t activated, and you can handle not having the money, just let them sit. Do the math and see if tickets will save you money this year and save the passes for another time.

We also have not-activated passes that we were supposed to activate in July, then thought about a December trip, and now it’s maybe February, but more likely October. ::sigh:: We’re just waiting until we can use them.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
If they aren’t activated, and you can handle not having the money, just let them sit. Do the math and see if tickets will save you money this year and save the passes for another time.

We also have not-activated passes that we were supposed to activate in July, then thought about a December trip, and now it’s maybe February, but more likely October. ::sigh:: We’re just waiting until we can use them.
Yeah that's my conundrum. We want to go in December and use the passes since they are pretty much paid for. All I'd be out is $166 for the rest of the room at Pop. But I'd hate to activate them on that trip and then feel rushed to go again if for some reason we decide that we aren't happy with the parks the way they are and postpone our April trip. We'd have to get atleast a week in before dec 21 If that's the case.

Upvote 0

Schweino

Yeah that's my conundrum. We want to go in December and use the passes since they are pretty much paid for. All I'd be out is $166 for the rest of the room at Pop. But I'd hate to activate them on that trip and then feel rushed to go again if for some reason we decide that we aren't happy with the parks the way they are and postpone our April trip. We'd have to get atleast a week in before dec 21 If that's the case.
So being in a slightly different position because we are from Nebraska and don't plan regular WDW trips, here is was our thought process:

1. We have never been to WDW during the holidays and wanted to experience the decorations and atmosphere even with Covid.
2. We did not want to go during the holidays next year because it would be WDW 50th and while Im sure it would be a heck of a display, we thought the crowds next holiday will be crazy. That means not going until holidays '22 and we didn't want to wait that long.
3. With reduced park capacity, that means reduced line times (hopefully, but from what I read this is true) and that is gonna be awesome!
4. December will not be a bad time of year to wear a mask at the parks most of the time.

If you have never been to WDW during the Holidays, I think you should go and experience a reduced atmosphere, especially if you are like us and don't want to be anywhere near WDW during the 50th celebration next year. That way, when you go back in the future, your expectations can be blown away :) You can still experience April as well! Best case is they are back to normal - worst case is you still have to wear a mask and have reduced capacity.

What are your thoughts on why you might not like it in December?

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
So being in a slightly different position because we are from Nebraska and don't plan regular WDW trips, here is was our thought process:

1. We have never been to WDW during the holidays and wanted to experience the decorations and atmosphere even with Covid.
2. We did not want to go during the holidays next year because it would be WDW 50th and while Im sure it would be a heck of a display, we thought the crowds next holiday will be crazy. That means not going until holidays '22 and we didn't want to wait that long.
3. With reduced park capacity, that means reduced line times (hopefully, but from what I read this is true) and that is gonna be awesome!
4. December will not be a bad time of year to wear a mask at the parks most of the time.

If you have never been to WDW during the Holidays, I think you should go and experience a reduced atmosphere, especially if you are like us and don't want to be anywhere near WDW during the 50th celebration next year. That way, when you go back in the future, your expectations can be blown away :) You can still experience April as well! Best case is they are back to normal - worst case is you still have to wear a mask and have reduced capacity.

What are your thoughts on why you might not like it in December?
I actually think we will love December... especially for a quick trip with the 2 older kiddos. We have never seen the Christmas decorations, as I am a Halloween lover. I know they will be scaled back but we aren't huge on parades and fireworks and all the things that draw those awful crowds you can't get through. We always avoided them. So the scaled back version is ok. I'm more worried about how enjoyable it will be with masks, will I feel safe or like I made a terrible gamble with our lives, will the scaled back version of the NORMAL disney stuff still make it worth it. If we activate our APs in December and just were not comfortable with going back until after covid is gone then I may possibly have to postpone our April trip, but in order for our APs to not be a total waste of money, I would need to get another trip in before December 2021. I'm worried that would be stressful. Does that make any sense lol? I really want to go, but I also don't want to activate our APs prematurely, and then basically lose all the money we put into them because we aren't going to go enough to make them count.

Upvote 0

Schweino

I actually think we will love December... especially for a quick trip with the 2 older kiddos. We have never seen the Christmas decorations, as I am a Halloween lover. I know they will be scaled back but we aren't huge on parades and fireworks and all the things that draw those awful crowds you can't get through. We always avoided them. So the scaled back version is ok. I'm more worried about how enjoyable it will be with masks, will I feel safe or like I made a terrible gamble with our lives, will the scaled back version of the NORMAL disney stuff still make it worth it. If we activate our APs in December and just were not comfortable with going back until after covid is gone then I may possibly have to postpone our April trip, but in order for our APs to not be a total waste of money, I would need to get another trip in before December 2021. I'm worried that would be stressful. Does that make any sense lol? I really want to go, but I also don't want to activate our APs prematurely, and then basically lose all the money we put into them because we aren't going to go enough to make them count.
I am not actually fearful of Covid. Just wear masks and use sanitizer. If you have high risk family members I totally get it, but to me its not a major concern

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
I am not actually fearful of Covid. Just wear masks and use sanitizer. If you have high risk family members I totally get it, but to me its not a major concern
I'm a little more so than I would be just because we have an 8 week old. By that time he will 5 months but my current apprehension in general is because of him

Upvote 0

Schweino

I'm a little more so than I would be just because we have an 8 week old. By that time he will 5 months but my current apprehension in general is because of him
Personally I would not go then. As long as Covid is around, even with a vaccine, I am not sure if little ones can have the vaccine or not. There is always going to be a chance that you bring it home no matter how much Disney tries to prevent it. Save the money from your trips and then plan a big splurge when you do get to go. Maybe experience some of the 50th celebration next year? Just my thoughts!

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

We were supposed to activate them in May but obviously did not. I have a short 3 day trip planned for December where all but one will be activated (my mom can't come). We also have our annual week long trip planned for April. I waited so long to become an AP holder and now it's kind of blah. I'm just wondering if they are going to save me any money like they would have when we first purchased them. When I got them last November, it was going to save us $400 on our big trip for may. But now I'm seeing a bunch of ticket deals and I'm not sure what next April will bring as far as deals but...has anyone done the math on these things? I'm not even sure where to start since ticket prices fluctuate. I'm not sure what to expect for next year.
Please correct if I am wrong?

You have UNACTIVATED APs. Please hang on to these... the 1 year clock on them does not start ticking until you ACTIVATE them, between now and 2030.

I would suggest that, for a "3 day trip planned for December", you simply buy 1 park per day standard tickets. Activating your APs in DEC 2020 means that they expire DEC 2021. KEEP those un-activated APs, for a time when they are worth something :).

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
action
Please correct if I am wrong?

You have UNACTIVATED APs. Please hang on to these... the 1 year clock on them does not start ticking until you ACTIVATE them, between now and 2030.

I would suggest that, for a "3 day trip planned for December", you simply buy 1 park per day standard tickets. Activating your APs in DEC 2020 means that they expire DEC 2021. KEEP those un-activated APs, for a time when they are worth something :).
Yeah....I was so hoping to go in December but really didn't want to spend the money on tickets. I had a come to Jesus talk with myself last night and I'm gonna cancel December and put that money towards April...maybe add a day!!!

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Is there a time limit on when you can activate them?

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Is there a time limit on when you can activate them?
Should be good through 2030. This is what mine looks like in MDE:
D59E4A4E-8EDF-46F5-8C4A-E04760340F43.jpeg

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom