Should I do HS and/or MK DAH?

JohnD

I'm planning on going to WDW in 17 days from April 29 - May 5. There are three DAH events during my trip. HS has DAH on Wed. May 1 and Sat. May 4. MK DAH is Thursday, May 2. My plans are to be in HS one day and in MK on multiple days so not sure if I should do any or none of these.

Here's my schedule:
  • Mon 4/29: Epcot
  • Tue 4/30: Epcot
  • Wed 5/1: HS (HS DAH, themed on 30th anniversary is tonight)
  • Thu 5/2: AK (MK DAH is tonight)
  • Fri 5/3: Free, although I scheduled FPs for MK late in the afternoon. Don't have to use them.
  • Sat 5/4: MK (HS DAH, themed on SW is tonight)
  • Sun 5/5: Check out. I plan on hopping into MK before I drive home but could hop into any park.

LeighM

We're both going to be in Epcot on Tuesday. As you saw from the other's post, I'm at the DAH at HS on 5/1. If you've got the money and time to do both, go for it. I learned from a previous trip, when we spent the day in AK and then that night at MNSSHP, that my husband and I are not able to spend the day in one park and then stay out later for a special event LOL. Especially in the heat and humidity :) I thought about doing the MK after hours but decided that I would rather experience the daytime entertainment. In all of our trips, we've never seen the Dapper Days, Trolley Show, or any of the other street entertainment. Shocking, right?! So this trip, instead of focusing on all of the rides, I want to focus on the experience. And maybe next trip do the after hours. If I liked Star Wars, I would probably have chosen to the the HS 5/4 event instead because of the cosplay element. I like the Halloween party because we can go in costume and that's not something you can do every day in the parks.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
We're both going to be in Epcot on Tuesday. As you saw from the other's post, I'm at the DAH at HS on 5/1. If you've got the money and time to do both, go for it. I learned from a previous trip, when we spent the day in AK and then that night at MNSSHP, that my husband and I are not able to spend the day in one park and then stay out later for a special event LOL. Especially in the heat and humidity :) I thought about doing the MK after hours but decided that I would rather experience the daytime entertainment. In all of our trips, we've never seen the Dapper Days, Trolley Show, or any of the other street entertainment. Shocking, right?! So this trip, instead of focusing on all of the rides, I want to focus on the experience. And maybe next trip do the after hours. If I liked Star Wars, I would probably have chosen to the the HS 5/4 event instead because of the cosplay element. I like the Halloween party because we can go in costume and that's not something you can do every day in the parks.

Yeah, I've already done the HS DAH once. I would really do the AK DAH if it were held the week I'm there. Unfortunately, it's not. I may already end up in MK on three separate days while not three full days, so not sure about doing MK DAH either. I think my attitude is wait and see. If sold out, I'm not meant to do it. If not, I'll have the option during my trip.

Upvote 0

GJM724

I am in the same predicament as well! We are signed up for MK DAH on the 2nd. Keep going back and forth on May 4th. If you want to buy our DAH as well we would be happy to tag along ;). I keep hearing good things about DAH so I feel like our money is well spent.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
Is it me or did they just add Disney After Hours for April 6 at Animal Kingdom. I don’t remember seeing that date before

You mean May 6? Yeah, they cancelled the one on May 7 and apparently moved it up. I check out May 5. Darn, miss it by one day.

Upvote 0

GJM724

You mean May 6? Yeah, they cancelled the one on May 9 and apparently moved it up. I check out May 5. Darn, miss it by one day.

I am seriously considering do this now. I have a 7:30pm Teppen Edo Reservation... so I am not sure the earliest I can get over there by. No earlier reservations for Teppen Edo available which makes me a little nervous about getting my money worth.

Upvote 0

GJM724

I am seriously considering do this now. I have a 7:30pm Teppen Edo Reservation... so I am not sure the earliest I can get over there by. No earlier reservations for Teppen Edo available which makes me a little nervous about getting my money worth.
Also no Yak and Yeti reservations for me to change to.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster

I've never done Teppan Edo although I want to try it. If you really want to do the AK DAH, save yourself the headache of the ADR and do counter service from Flame Tree BBQ. You can leave Epcot earlier and get to AK without a rush. Another option is to cancel Teppan Edo and schedule an ADR in AK which still allows you to leave Epcot earlier.

Upvote 0

GJM724

I've never done Teppan Edo although I want to try it. If you really want to do the AK DAH, save yourself the headache of the ADR and do counter service from Flame Tree BBQ. You can leave Epcot earlier and get to AK without a rush. Another option is to cancel Teppan Edo and schedule an ADR in AK which still allows you to leave Epcot earlier.

I need to use a TS credit to use up my dining plan. Also no reservations open earlier at AK either which is one of the downsides to the dining plan.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
I need to use a TS credit to use up my dining plan. Also no reservations open earlier at AK either which is one of the downsides to the dining plan.

Gotcha. I never do dining plan. I did notice that Pizzafari family style dining and Tiffins is available though.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
I’m at WDW now through 5/5.. There are three DAH’s during my trip. I’ll miss the AK DAH by a day (5/6). I’m surprised that today’s DAH at HS is not yet sold out. Maybe over saturation?

In my case I’m here a week so figure I can get in everything I want during regular hours. I’m leaving the option open but that’s a day-of or at-closing decision.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
I’m at WDW now through 5/5.. There are three DAH’s during my trip. I’ll miss the AK DAH by a day (5/6). I’m surprised that today’s DAH at HS is not yet sold out. Maybe over saturation?

In my case I’m here a week so figure I can get in everything I want during regular hours. I’m leaving the option open but that’s a day-of or at-closing decision.

I ended up not going to any of them.
  • 5/1: Was in HS approx 12 hrs (9-9ish) for 30th anniversary. After the new Animation show, I was done
  • 5/2: Spent most of the day in AK. Decided to go back to the room, clean up, and have dinner at ‘Ohana. Yes, MK DAH was that night but would be in MK Fri-Sat anyway.
  • 5/4: In MK all day. Decided on evening grazing food booths and riding TT in Epcot instead of May the 4th Be With You in HS.
I got a lot out of my trip without paying extra for DAH. I think these are best suited for locals who want to have a fun evening without huge crowds or having a free day during the day resting / swimming in the pool etc. then want to explore a park. I wouldn’t recommend doing one if already in the same or different park during the day.

Upvote 0

LeighM

I highly enjoyed the After Hours at HS!!! We entered the park a little after 7PM and stayed until Midnight. Loved the experience! And the park was so empty.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
I highly enjoyed the After Hours at HS!!! We entered the park a little after 7PM and stayed until Midnight. Loved the experience! And the park was so empty.

Sounds like you were a prime candidate for it. As I said, I was already in HS more than 12 hours on 5/1. I didn't need more hours. (For the record, I did do one over the holidays in HS and enjoyed it.)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom