Should I bring my DSLR camera??

blueboxdoctor

Oh nice, saw you also have a D3300. I just got one in February and am looking forward to bringing it to WDW. I'd be more concerned the rest of the group I'm with doesn't abandon me as I stop for another picture. As for carrying it in the parks, I'm planning on getting a backpack designed for cameras and lenses (not sure what it's called, but my friend has one and he likes it so far). I figure it'll be the easiest way to bring along extra lenses if needed (I think my mom may also be getting a DSLR, and if she brings hers along we'll both have the lenses at our disposal, which will be convenient). My only concern is how to travel around with a tripod, guess they make bags for them to put over your shoulder.

And while I have yet to use my D3300 at WDW, I can say based on pictures others have taken with it and various other DSLR cameras, the picture quality will make it worth taking it along with you (and by going to WDW I can justify grabbing two more lenses before the trip, and possibly another filter).

MickeyMomV

For me I have an Olympus E-5, a mirrorless camera, and I bring it along with only my 25mm f1.8. (50mm in full frame) It isn't much to carry and I feel it gets the shots you need in Disney.
We have the Sony version and it takes great shots!! I have a fellow sports parent that takes her DSLR with her everywhere! and 99% of the time our pics are sharper and more vibrant than hers. Not sure if its the camera or maybe she just cant take good pics no matter how good the camera is.:)

NowInc

The answer all depends on what types of pictures you are planning on walking away with. Candid family shots? A point and shoot or your camera phone will do you fine. Something more? DSLR. If you are comfortable enough bring it, I honestly don't see why you wouldn't. Its better to have it and not use it than go home wishing you have brought it with you.

boufa

Disney is era different to everyone. Some go for the rides, some for the characters, some for the food, some for the scenery. Why you go is the answer to the dslr question. For me, the photo ops are some of the reasons I go. I see wonderful scenes in nearly ever direction I look. My family patiently induces me. I love them for it. You are the only one who can make an informed decision on whether the camera, any type is right for you.

WillCAD

Millions - and I'm not exaggerating, it's really millions - of people successfully take their DSLRs to Disney parks every year. From a starter cam with the 18-55 kit lens, up to 5DmkIII with L-lenses that cost more than my car, DSLRs in the parks are everywhere.

My choice is to go bagless. I have a great walkaround lens, a Canon 18-200, and it fits my general photo needs well enough that I have no need to change lenses. I do carry a spare battery and some spare memory cards on me, though I rarely need them; they're mainly for backup. I also drop a lens cloth in my pocket. I add a tripod or flash as needed for specific photo ops like fireworks or indoor gatherings, but mostly I shoot without them.

Your choice of camera strap is key, though, if you want to go bagless. It must be comfortable enough to wear all day, flexible enough to allow quick shooting, and secure enough to keep your camera from falling off easily. I prefer a camera harness, which eliminated bump and swing, but the most popular straps today are the cross-body type like the BlackRapid R-strap.

On my next trip I'm going to try using my bridge camera as my primary, though. It's lighter and does most of what the DSLR does. Actually, in many ways it does more, because my DSLR is a 7-year old model and the bridge cam is only about 3 years old (just bought it a few months ago).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom