Should Disney scrap and rebuild Pirates of the Caribbean in Orlando?

Should Disney scrap and rebuild Pirates of the Caribbean in Orlando?

• Yes

Votes: 68 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 116 35.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Close it and replace it with an entirely new ride

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Refurbish it! But not scrap and rebuild.

Votes: 128 38.9%

• Total voters

wdwfan757

This actually is a curious debate and I really wonder what motivates people on either side. I frequently go to WDW with someone who grew up in Anaheim but she is not a big fan of our pirates at all. We ride it every time at MK and it's always "the DL version is sooooo much better". I grew up on the East coast but i've been to DL a LOT over the past few years, and while I acknowledge their's is better, each time I do it, i'm less wowed by how much better it is. I can't imagine it turning a non-Pirates fan into a Pirates fan. I don't know that its worth replacing ours to just have more of what we have versus having something different than we have.

Mickey5150

I prefer WDW Pirates because of the queue and the exit. Although the ride isnt as long it is a fuller experience from beginning to end. The queue and exit in DL are bad. Yes there are some extra scenes but there us also a long section of cave that serves no purpose but to get out of the park boundaries. I also prefer the location of the treasure room at the end in WDW. In DL there is a chance you miss it as the boat is pulled up the ramp.

justintheharris

Original Poster
This actually is a curious debate and I really wonder what motivates people on either side. I frequently go to WDW with someone who grew up in Anaheim but she is not a big fan of our pirates at all. We ride it every time at MK and it's always "the DL version is sooooo much better". I grew up on the East coast but i've been to DL a LOT over the past few years, and while I acknowledge their's is better, each time I do it, i'm less wowed by how much better it is. I can't imagine it turning a non-Pirates fan into a Pirates fan. I don't know that its worth replacing ours to just have more of what we have versus having something different than we have.
I’ve lived in Orlando my whole life and only recently began visiting the other resorts. I never really liked Pirates in Orlando but going on Disneyland’s made me a fan. So it’s possible

MaximumEd

With almost 30k acres at their disposal (yeah, some unsuitable), TDO doesn’t need to rip and replace any more rides. Build more new stuff. That being said, I’ve ridden the ride on both coasts, and while Anaheim is nice, as another poster said, the queue is better in the swamps and the caves just get you to the show building in Anaheim. Both are solid rides and the WDW version is a classic that stands on its own just fine. Oh, and bring back the redhead and axe Jack Sparrow.

justintheharris

Original Poster
I always thought it was ironic Disney went to Florida for more space for freedom to do things and attractions like Pirates and IaSW are shorter, watered down versions of their originals.
All the opening day stuff at Magic Kingdom is better than Disneyland's. Then when they started making additions, they let Disneyland become far superior in my opinion.

Animaniac93-98

Personally, I'd use not only the existing Pirates plot, but the expansion pad too to create a larger Pirates experience with multiple attractions and diversions. Or some other property (Indy, Aladdin etc). Lots of possibilities.

Chef Mickey

I'd prefer something along the lines of what they did to the Haunted Mansion a decade or so ago. Fix what's not working, update the effects, maybe add a little razzle-dazzle here and there. But if Disney is going to spend the money, I'd rather see more new attractions built from the ground-up.
Sometimes, simple is still better. See the hitchhiking ghost effect on The Haunted Mansion now.

The original effect is far superior.

justintheharris

Original Poster
If you've ridden the attraction in Shanghai (like i have), along with Peter Pan - you definately feel short changed by the Orlando versions.

Pirates Shanghai is one of the best attractions Disney have ever made - a stunning mix of live practical sets, screen technology that is just wonderful.
Shanghai is the one version I haven't done. The other versions though seriously make me feel short changed by the Orlando pirates. In regards to Peter Pan... eh ours still holds up in comparison to the other resorts.

PolynesianPrincess

I personally think a little sprucing up would help it. I certainly don't think they should get rid of it just because it's inferior to DL or Shanghai. Then the same could be said for all Disney attractions that don't measure up to the same attraction in other parks. Splash at DL is terrible.. should it be gutted just because MK has a better version? Same thing with Haunted Mansion. DL's is shorter so should it be redone into something else? I don't think it should be. I think just a little updating and upgrading with Pirates could do a world of good for it!!

Skibum1970

I don't believe in rewriting history, so I wouldn't want all traces of Johnny Depp erased. But it would be great if they reduced him to just one scene. And bring back the old marketplace scene with the Redhead.

While Capt Sparrow doesn't ruin the ride, removing him from it would not be rewriting history but reverting back to the original storyline.

Having been on DL's version, I wish that they could extend the cave scene with more waterfalls. DL's cave scenes, with two drops, are very enjoyable. Each ride's version of the pirates sacking the town are fine and WDW's ending works okay.

It is still one of two rides, along with Haunted Mansion, that I consider a must-ride when I go to WDW.

Disstevefan1

While scraping and re build sound interesting, my biggest issue is it takes them so long to do anything I would hate to lose another attraction for 2 to 3 years!

cheezbat

I say tear it down and copy what they did in Paris. That is the best version of the animatronics-infested version of the ride. Hands down fantastic. The swinging pirate, the swashbuckling pirates, the sequence of the ride, AND they could add the Pirate restaurant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom