• Only the EPCOT Monorail line

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Are you out of your mind??

Votes: 150 62.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ohioguy

Original Poster
Now that alternative transportation, at a far cheaper cost, exists, perhaps it is time to retire the monorails once and for all. Maintenance, performance, and technical issues are only going to get worse. Is it that important to keep the monorails? How easy would it be to replace them with gondolas?

I could see keeping the monorail lines that serve the Magic Kingdom and the deluxe resorts around Seven Seas Lagoon (allowing the Contemporary Resort monorail to be left as is; it truly is iconic), but the EPCOT line might benefit from a switch to gondolas. The overall savings would more than offset the cost to switch. Given that Future World is being overhauled, perhaps now is the time to remove the monorail track that loops within EPCOT.

Driver

I think it's extremely unlikely that this iconic form of transportation would be deleted. It was one of Walts loves and he specifically wanted it to be the core of transportation for the park. Also "monorail's" aren't as modern as some may think. The earliest "monorail" was in Germany around 1903 it was called the " Shwepabaum" (I'm sure I spelled that wrong ) but anyway it hung from the beam instead of riding on it.............. just my 2 cents!

mergatroid

giphy.gif

mergatroid

The Horrors to even ask the question. Get rid of them??? Certainly not. The monorails are as much symbolic of Disney as the Castle. Disney should be caring for them better and giving them the love they deserve. And they should bring back the ride up front!!!!

Unfortunately after that poor driver was killed in the collision at Epcot, we won't see that again.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I think it's extremely unlikely that this iconic form of transportation would be deleted. It was one of Walts loves and he specifically wanted it to be the core of transportation for the park. Also "monorail's" aren't as modern as some may think. The earliest "monorail" was in Germany around 1903 it was called the " Shwepabaum" (I'm sure I spelled that wrong ) but anyway it hung from the beam instead of riding on it.............. just my 2 cents!
Wuppertaler Schwebebahn circa 1901

justintheharris

The reason I say no is that Magic Kingdom has no practical access without the monorail at this point. And there isn't really a fix that doesn't involve turning Seven Seas Lagoon into a parking lot and leaving all the Deluxe Resorts with fantastic views of pavement.

Goofyernmost

It would probably be cheaper to replace the 12 existing trains than tear down the whole system (beams, stations, roundhouse, etc) and fill in the hole in the Contemporary than come up with an alternative to move just as many people.
You might recall that back in the 50's in Disneyland they had the gondolas go right through Matterhorn. They could do the same thing with the contemporary. Wouldn't be as pretty, but it could be done and hide all the cables and connectors.

1545010556476.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom