Should Disney Buy MGM?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
While MGM did sell the rights to all pre 1986 movies in thier catalog to Turner, they've been busy making and acquiring the rights to 5,200 more.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Doesn’t Turner still own the bulk of the back catalogue? I’m not sure MGM is all that valuable without their classic movies.

Of course, if Disney owned MGM, it would be great to use as the name for a theme park based on movies... 😜
Or a refresh to the Great Movie Ride.....

Robbiem

Maybe they would partner with someone and split the assets to avoid antitrust? Or pick up some assets if someone else buys and sells parts off? Im guessing in the current streaming rush its the library which will be worth the most kinda like what Ted Turner did in the past with the studio. Having the James Bond and hobbit movies would be a bonus for Disney plus

is there anyone interested in buying MGM do we know? I could maybe see Apple or another tech company bidding

Last edited:
With the way things are currently, I don’t think Disney themselves will go for it. Sure, they would love to but the thing is... aren’t they still trying to recuperate the funds that went into buying Fox? It’ll most likely take years for the company to comfortably call the Fox buyout a worthy investment. With the current global situation, it’s just making business doing business all that much difficult. I don’t think they’ll go for it.

Screamface

James Bond going to Disney is a massive no for me. They don't have the full rights but the suggestion is that the full rights will be packaged in.

Disney getting Stargate, that ain't so bad if they gave it the budget, put it on Hulu to be paired with The Orville.

Robbiem

MGM would probably be an easier purchase than Sony and as a bonus DHS could get its original name back! MGM would have some good content for Disney plus especially the James Bond movies. Does anyone know if they still own their animation rights to Tom and Jerry, Droopy etc?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hey, Daniel Richtman just posted a rumour that Disney is about to buy MGM for $5 billion. Gee, that'll make anti-trust laws a memory if this happened. https://www.piratesandprincesses.ne...-mgm-home-of-james-bond-and-rocky-franchises/
Sorry but I don't put this in the credible rumor column. This is a blog post, about a patreon post (paid post), from a WGYC article where they are speculating that Disney "might" be on the list of potential suitors for MGM.

This appears to be a big nothing at this point.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
In 2018, there were almost a thousand films released.

Disney + Fox put out 35 films; that's about 1.7% of all films.

Now, a lot of those films were small indie films. If we limit the list to films that made $5M or more, then there were 212 'major releases'. Disney + Fox accounts for 17% of all such films in 2018.

Disney seems to have a much higher profile than 17% of 'major films' simply because they make so much money. If Sony's pictures that year were all $1-2B blockbusters, then Sony would have cornered the majority of the Box Office that year. The solution to diluting Disney's outsized weight is for the other studios to make films that are as popular as Disney films.

Now, MGM, in the past decade, has only been averaging 3-4 films per year. Disney buying MGM would hardly move the needle on any sort of anti-trust laws.

Buying Sony: Sony put out 16 films in 2018 that made $5M or more. If Disney had owned Sony, then Disney would have had 51 of 212 films in that category. That would've been 24% of all films that made $5M or more in 2018.

Still far from a monopoly.

Film studios that put out at least 4 films in 2018 that made $5M or more:
  • A24
  • Bleeker Street Media
  • Focus Features
  • IMAX
  • Lionsgate
  • Paramount
  • Screen Gems
  • Sony
  • STX Entertainment
  • Universal
  • Warner Bros.

brodie999

Well, anti-trust laws may not matter at this point because they're considered dead or "invoked" by mega-corporations by now. I considered that when I saw a video on Youtube about the same article I posted.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, anti-trust laws may not matter at this point because they're considered dead or "invoked" by mega-corporations by now. I considered that when I saw a video on Youtube about the same article I posted.
Anti-trust is alive and well...

A current well-known case is stopping VISA from buying Plaid in the past year.

brodie999

Anti-trust is alive and well...

A current well-known case is stopping VISA from buying Plaid in the past year.
Actually, VISA and Plaid dropped their merger over price, not anti-trust concerns. See this article right here. And people in government are employees of mega-corporations. That's why they were helpless to stop Disney from buying Fox, AT&T from buying Warner Bros. And Comcast from buying Universal.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Actually, VISA and Plaid dropped their merger over price, not anti-trust concerns. See this article right here. And people in government are employees of mega-corporations. That's why they were helpless to stop Disney from buying Fox, AT&T from buying Warner Bros. And Comcast from buying Universal.
The government did step in. Doesn't matter why it fell through. You say that anti-trust is basically dead in the U.S. But the fact that a case was started shows it ain't.

What you propose is conspiracy theory stuff. Got any real evidence?

brodie999

The government did step in. Doesn't matter why it fell through. You say that anti-trust is basically dead in the U.S. But the fact that a case was started shows it ain't.

What you propose is conspiracy theory stuff. Got any real evidence?
No, but from what I heard this guy actually turned out to be right about many things in the past like Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield returning in Spider-Man 3. He's not just some guy on Patreon. He's proven many times to be an insider for Marvel and Disney. At the moment, studios are probably bidding to see which one will buy MGM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom