Should Cars be Cancelled?

imsosarah

I was watching the movie Cars for the first time since its release. I realized that the movie doesn't fit in well with today's standards at all. In fact the entire movie is filled with stereotypes.

Ramone- Mexican Stereotype
Luigi - Italian Stereotype
Mater - Red Neck Stereotype
Flo - African American Stereotype

A lot of the comedy is based on the racial stereotypes, for example Ramone has flames on his car and is always showing off the hydraulics. Luigi is only interested in Italian race cars, not American ones.

There is even a Me Too moment where two "girl" cars that are fans of Lightning McQueen "flash their headlights" at him.

I remember waiting in line at Luigi's Tires and all the songs were stereotypical Italian songs making fun of Italians. Between each song Luigi talks about "his cousin" and "meatballs and spaghetti".

How is this kosher with people in 2021? I honestly think Cars Land will be set for a revamp in the future to remove or revise these characters.

Regardless of where you stand on cancel culture, these stereotypes aren't doing anyone any good.
I am not sure if you know this, but you do not have to watch it. There are literally millions of other shows filled with excessive violence towards women, glamorize drug use, gang affiliation, sleeping around, etc that you can watch and likely wouldn't think twice about considering "canceling"

A girl CHOOSING to flash her headlights is NOT a "me too" moment. That could have been taken more as batting eyelashes. But since you took it to them exposing themselves, let me explain - a "me too" moment is when a woman is forced into a situation or uncomfortable because of someone in power or other levels of control influencing a response. A woman that CHOOSES to expose, kiss, have a relationship, etc is not the same.

Also, how does meatballs and spagetti make fun of Italians? Have you spent time in Italy? Everyone literally talked about their cousins and extended family is important. Everywhere we went had a variation of spagetti - a dish common for children.

Jae Sea

No. In fact, something like this is actually discouraging because it takes the impact away from things that actually do require cultural re-assessment. Now, people are going to read this thread, go to the hyperbolic argument that "cancel culture is ruining everything!" and no longer take the overall conversation around cultural sensitivities seriously.

So, no.

Because just like OP's comments, they shouldn't be. Cancel culture is a bunch of whiny losers with way too easy lives that have nothing better to do than look for things to be offended about.

denyuntilcaught

Because just like OP's comments, they shouldn't be. Cancel culture is a bunch of whiny losers with way too easy lives that have nothing better to do than look for things to be offended about.

Well, in turn, "cancel culture" is a washout term used by those who are reluctant to give marginalized or disenfranchised groups the mic to speak on accountability. To ignore the entire culture is ignoring a form of protest.

However. It's also a slippery slope, is often comprised of a bunch of virtue signalers who are looking less for accountability and more for the ethos that comes with calling someone out, etc.

Either way, the entire culture deserves more of an analysis then just name-calling and straw man arguments nonetheless.

Whippet Mom

I was watching the movie Cars for the first time since its release. I realized that the movie doesn't fit in well with today's standards at all. In fact the entire movie is filled with stereotypes.

A lot of the comedy is based on the racial stereotypes, for example Ramone has flames on his car and is always showing off the hydraulics. Luigi is only interested in Italian race cars, not American ones.

There is even a Me Too moment where two "girl" cars that are fans of Lightning McQueen "flash their headlights" at him.

I remember waiting in line at Luigi's Tires and all the songs were stereotypical Italian songs making fun of Italians. Between each song Luigi talks about "his cousin" and "meatballs and spaghetti".

How is this kosher with people in 2021? I honestly think Cars Land will be set for a revamp in the future to remove or revise these characters.

Regardless of where you stand on cancel culture, these stereotypes aren't doing anyone any good.
Please tell me this supposed is nothing more than a joke because if it isn't then you have got serious issues

SamusAranX

Please tell me this supposed is nothing more than a joke because if it isn't then you have got serious issues
Honestly, it’s probably a satire on the cancel culture affecting certain attractions and films at Disney lately.

but that *might* be giving the poster too much credit.

Californian Elitist

Congrats on being the embodiment of everything that's wrong with society...

The OP is one of the most chill posters on here and does not have a track record of expressing views in favor of “cancel culture.” I’d say their views are often neutral on the subject. They simply posed a question for discussion (albeit in the wrong forum).

Relax.

Djsfantasi

Are you a Black Mexican-Italian Jewish redneck? Because if you’re not, you are appropriating those cultures to make a silly point.

Just sayin’

WHAT????? Are you kidding me??? give me a break... It's a theme park. If you don't like it than don't go into cars land. unbelievable!

I am so tired of this racism and cancel culture in a ultra P.C. world! I had the most multi cultural childhood and we ALL use to make fun of each other! We all LOL and NEVER took any of it seriously. What is happening is removing peoples ability to express their culture and beliefs to the point we will loose our identities

October82

I am so tired of this racism and cancel culture in a ultra P.C. world! I had the most multi cultural childhood and we ALL use to make fun of each other! We all LOL and NEVER took any of it seriously. What is happening is removing peoples ability to express their culture and beliefs to the point we will loose our identities

I don't think asking people to act with respect and common decency will lead to a loss of identity. Rather, I expect the opposite. When people are respected, they're better able to express themselves and share their cultures and beliefs.

I don't doubt that you didn't take it seriously, and no doubt, it's often perfectly all right to "make fun of each other", but it's also possible that those around you did take it seriously and were hurt by it. Knowing the difference between the two is all "cancel culture" is.

No Name

What's a "negative" stereotype? So few people are able to explain what that is, even after they use the phrase in a sentence.

For example, Disney recently threw Walt and Marc Davis and a few dozen other dead or retired Imagineers under the bus by claiming the Jungle Cruise had "negative stereotypes". What were they? The Africans doing their cultural dances? Wearing their cultural clothes? Exhibiting their cultural norms? Or just the drama when they pretended to attack a theme park boat ride based on the (admittedly crude) weaponry and customs they actually have?

Or would it be better if the African peoples portrayed in the Jungle Cruise were cubicle workers changing out the toner cartridge in a printer in a downtown Nairobi office building? They'd be just like us, but it would make for a rather boring boat ride, wouldn't it?

And yes, this image popped up when I Googled "Black Man Changes Toner Cartridge". :cool:

man-changing-office-printer-ink.png

So in Cars Land, Ramone is a Chicano car voiced by Cheech Marin. Flo is a Black woman car from Detroit voiced by Jenifer Lewis. Mater is a white hick towtruck voiced by Larry The Cable Guy. Etc., etc.

Are those "negative" stereotypes? And if Cars Land is now negative by 2021's woke standards, what's positive? Some anodyne, monotone culture where we all look alike, talk alike, think alike? Where all cars in Cars Land are silver Honda Civic sedans on a 24 month lease and Radiator Springs is a beige Irvine office park with tasteful yet drought resistant landscaping?

Welcome To Cars Land 2023! Where Nothing Is Offensive To Anyone Ever!
10-corporate-park-irvine-photo-2-of-19.jpg

That sounds even more boring than a Jungle Cruise boat ride where we see African cubicle drones changing the toner cartridge in a downtown Nairobi office, instead of wearing exotic masks and attacking us with wildly painted spears while our Skipper barely gets our boat to escape.
Regarding the Jungle Cruise, the big negative stereotype is the idea that the African tribe minding their own business poses a danger to us minding ours. Native peoples have historically been kind to and diplomatic with settlers upon first contact. They aren’t cannibals and understand we are human. Yet the ride constantly equates their danger to that of wild animals.

I am no proponent of cancel culture but I can recognize a problem when I see one.

And I was saying I don’t recall Cars having anything too problematic.

Last edited:

TP2000

Regarding the Jungle Cruise, the big negative stereotype is the idea that the African tribe minding their own business poses a danger to us minding ours. Native peoples have historically been kind to and diplomatic with settlers upon first contact. They aren’t cannibals and understand we are human. Yet the ride constantly equates their danger to that of wild animals.

The first time we come across African natives is when they are singing and dancing in a circle. That's usually when the Skipper makes the hokey-pokey joke, but the Africans aren't posed artistically there as a danger.

A different group of Africans are posed as a danger when they spring up from the jungle undergrowth and threaten to throw spears at us. That's one of the dramatic high points of the ride, and our Skipper responds not by yelling invectives or insults at them, but by merely punching the throttle and speeding us out of that dangerous scene.

The other appearance of Africans is among the men helping the exploring party who is attacked by the rhino, or Trader Sam himself at the end of the ride.

Trader Sam is a man so nice they named a hotel bar after him!

What am I missing on how Africans are treated by the ride?

No Name

The first time we come across African natives is when they are singing and dancing in a circle. That's usually when the Skipper makes the hokey-pokey joke, but the Africans aren't posed artistically there as a danger.

A different group of Africans are posed as a danger when they spring up from the jungle undergrowth and threaten to throw spears at us. That's one of the dramatic high point of the ride, and our Skipper responds not by yelling invectives or insults at them, but by merely punching the throttle and speeding us out of that dangerous scene.

The other appearance of Africans is among the men helping the exploring party who is attacked by the rhino, or Trader Sam himself at the end of the ride.

Trader Sam is a man so nice they named a hotel bar after him!

What am I missing on how Africans are treated by the ride?
It’s called headhunter territory and right before the first group of Africans is a bunch of skulls that are supposedly the people from the previous trip. Trader Sam sells skulls. Lots of skulls and spears suggest the tribe is creating hostility and violence, which isn’t a remotely accurate portrayal of African tribes, and it’s certainly not a good one either.

I’m not sure what your missing, and more importantly, why you’re trying to excuse it.

TP2000

It’s called headhunter territory and right before the first group of Africans is a bunch of skulls that are supposedly the people from the previous trip. Trader Sam sells skulls. Lots of skulls and spears suggest the tribe is creating hostility and violence, which isn’t a remotely accurate portrayal of African tribes, and it’s certainly not a good one either.

I’m not sure what your missing, and more importantly, why you’re trying to excuse it.

I'm not trying to excuse it at all. I've been on the ride many times, and it's not exactly trying to explain War & Peace to its audience, so it's very easy to grasp and understand. Even 3rd graders get it. :)

Portraying Africans as headhunters to make a theme park boat ride more exciting is not a stylish look in 2021. But what's the alternative? Ignoring African humans entirely and pretending the entire continent is only populated by animals like The Lion King does? Or make the African humans just as boring and mundane as the audience in the boat is, relegated to being flummoxed by changing the toner cartridge in the printer as a source of theme park drama?

If I'm paying money to get into the park, I'd rather have headhunters with spears instead of a cubicle worker with a toner cartridge.

SuddenStorm

It's incredibly depressing that, if the Splash Mountain retheme isn't cancelled, all of those America Sings animatronics will wind up being destroyed.
A book I wish would get written is a record of each major animatronic figure in the park, as well as other famous set pieces in famous attractions.

Like the Auctioneer- how much of the current figure is the one from '67? I'm guessing none. But then, when was it swapped?

Or, how much of each of the America Sings figures in Splash Mountain today were actually in America Sings? The costumes and fur/feathers all need to be replaced- along with the hydraulics and stuff. But I'm also guessing the skeletons would need replacing too after a bit.

Many elements of Disneyland have been replaced over the years- often with exact replicas. A good example is the Rainbow Ridge town in Big Thunder, which was rebuilt in 2014 so what's there now is not what was there when the Mine Train was.

Or, are there any Mark Twain elements that were actually there in '55, or have decades of refurbishments basically replaced everything that's original?

Someone would need access to decades worth of maintenance records, and Disney would never allow such a book to be published but dang it would be interesting.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
The OP is one of the most chill posters on here and does not have a track record of expressing views in favor of “cancel culture.” I’d say their views are often neutral on the subject. They simply posed a question for discussion (albeit in the wrong forum).

Relax.
Thank you : )

For those who didn't get the jest of my post, I am not taking a stance on Cars being offensive. I'm saying that viewed with a modern lens, this is the kind of thing I do expect people to find offensive.

I do wonder if a disclaimer will appear before this movie in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom