shorter list of disney restaurants we'd like to try

kathy26

Original Poster
we have shortened the list of disney restaurants we'd like to try, we are there for 14 days and still have too many in the list, if i could have everyones opinions to the restaurants it may be easier to shorten it more or maybe theres one ive not mentioned that you would recommend. i cant eat chesse or spicy food so i have to be really careful.
here is our shortened list :)

be our guest, liberty tree, crystal palace, coral reef, rose and crown, via napoli, restaurant akershus, garden grill, 50's diner, chef mickeys, 1900 park fare, todds english blue zoo, garden grove, t rex, rainforest cafe, tusker house, scifi diner, and either hollywood and vine or hollywood brown derby for the fantasia package.

any comments i would be very grateful. not really looking for breakfast as we would just want cereal.
thank you:):)

real mad hatter

we have shortened the list of disney restaurants we'd like to try, we are there for 14 days and still have too many in the list, if i could have everyones opinions to the restaurants it may be easier to shorten it more or maybe theres one ive not mentioned that you would recommend. i cant eat chesse or spicy food so i have to be really careful.

be our guest, liberty tree, crystal palace, coral reef, rose and crown, via napoli, restaurant akershus, garden grill, 50's diner, chef mickeys, 1900 park fare, todds english blue zoo, garden grove, t rex, rainforest cafe, tusker house, scifi diner, and either hollywood and vine or hollywood brown derby for the fantasia package.

any comments i would be very grateful. not really looking for breakfast as we would just want cereal.

For me I'd miss out Rainforest and keep Rex...Def miss out H & V...:hungover:...Touch & go about Coral Reef..Apart from that it looks good...Now that's only my opinion...

71dsp

If it were us, I'd skip Crystal Palace, Coral Reef (although the atmosphere is nice), T-Rex (nice concept but incredibly loud and just okay food), Rainforest (we have one of these locally, so we never go at WDW), and Hollywood & Vine. Never been to SciFi (although I've read more bad than good about that restaurant), Liberty Tree, Akershus, Garden Grill, Todds English Blue Zoo, or Garden Grove, so we can't really give you any feedback on those.

NeedMoreMickey

I would skip Crystal Palace, only time we go is if my dad is with us, I don't think the food is anything special and I really don't need the characters. The rest of my entire family loves seafood and they all say they can cross Coral Reef off their to-do-list. The last time we were there the food was bad and the service was worse.

We do like Liberty Tree, Rose & Crown, Via Napoli but this can sometimes it gets loud.

ratherbeinwdw

I would skip Coral Reef, Liberty Tree, T-Rex, Rainforest and Akershus. We love Crystal Palace. We really enjoy going to SciFi even if some of the foods not great. It is as good as any other of it's type and the atmosphere is worth it. 50's is fun, but unless you like high fat, high calorie foods, I would skip that one. If you have young girls and food choice isn't that important, I would add Akershus back in for them. If you have boys, I would add 'Ohana and remove Akershus. However, 'Ohana is gender neutral and has tons of meat for the meat eaters. It's also lots of fun for the kids. Rose & Crown is hit and miss. The last couple of times it was a miss. The food wasn't done. Thank goodness it was a vegetarian choice. The service was really bad which was unusual for us there. We were in too much of a hurry to send food back, so we ended up paying and leaving it on the table. We have eaten there when it was good, but it's been a while. We don't drink, so there's really no pull for us there anymore.

Jeff2140

I can only speak for Coral Reef, Rose and Crown, T-Rex, Hollywood and Vine, and The Hollywood Brown Derby.
Coral Reef has a great atmosphere and the food is average. I like Rose and Crowns atmosphere as well and like the English food "Bangers and Mash". T-Rex has a really cool atmosphere, but the food is on par with any low to mid price point chain restaurant. Hollywood and vine looks like it can use some attention and had the worst food I have ever had at any Disney restaurant (IMOI). I really enjoy The Hollywood Brown Derby. The food is great and the atmosphere is really nice as well. The only downside is that it is a bit pricier than most others. I would recommend Ohana for Dinner (Great food and view), Be our Guest (Awesome atmosphere if you like Beauty and the Beast, but you could always see it at lunch), and I personally really like Le Cellier, although the prices are getting a but out of hand.

hellowonderland

I can't comment on a lot of those (although I have heard Rose & Crown is good and we're trying it this December) but definitely keep Via Napoli (ahhh their pizzas are AMAZING), Tusker House, Hollywood Brown Derby and Sci-Fi.

I'm not a huge fan of Chef Mickey's but that's because I don't really eat meat and their buffet is mainly for the carnivores. I've tried Rainforest Cafe and didn't think much of it, and went to Restaurant Akershus for breakfast years ago - it was fine.

I would recommend La Cantina de San Angel if you like Mexican food, Le Cellier (my husband didn't like it, but I do think the food is pretty yummy if overpriced) and I've heard amazing things about 'Ohana although I've never tried it. Oh, and DEFINITELY try Beaches n' Cream. It's so good and I think the service is excellent too.

HouCuseChickie

Knowing which meals you're planning on for each might help. For example, LOVE Crystal Palace breakfast, but would skip lunch or dinner. On the flip side, really enjoy Akershus lunch and dinner, but think breakfast is the lesser of the three. Coral Reef and Rainforest are probably the ones I'd drop without knowing the particular meals.

EvilQueen-T

I feel your pain. I've been to disney dozens of times and still have trouble narrowing our list lol.

Be our guest is a must do at least once. The food can be a little hit or miss but the atmosphere is hands down the best immersion into a theme on property imo.

1900 park fare is super fun mainly for the step sisters imo but if you're focus is on Cinderella then you could skip it for Askershus and hit all the princesses as a group.

T-rex and rain forest cafe are the same thing but different decor so you could leave one off. If you're set on doing one or the other I'd suggest pick which ever one is closest to whichever park you're doing that day.

Hollywood and vine has some of the worst food in all of wdw imo. I'd rather be hungry.

Love blue zoo. Brown derby is a nice change of pace for the adults after so many character meals but still kid friendly, same with coral reef.

I like via napoli. It's laid back, the food is familiar for kids and pickier grown ups. Sci fi has a fun atmosphere but I personally don't like the food but many people do. 50's ptc is fun as well if your group is open and relaxed with the joking around. If you don't like lots of interaction, including the possibility of it being with other tables of guests then it's fun for all ages.

Liberty tree tavern is a nice get away in the middle of the park, I think the lunch is much better than the dinner. It's basic American food so if you want something a little different than what you have at home it could be an easy skip.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever you stick with!

mickey&me

Skip Rainforest (you can visit one of those anywhere).

Ask yourself why on Akershus and Crystal Palace. If you're not going for the characters, skip those mediocre buffets.

JerseyDad

rose and crown = great pub atmosphere ....food is 'iffy' at best ....I still think it's best for just drinks

via napoli = good food ...like the atmosphere ...only order the smaller personal pizzas ...the large ones don't "cook through' in the center ....and if you get pizza ...just remember it isn't going to be Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, or "chicago" style ...as if any of those are pizza to begin with. Be forewarned ....it's ridiculously pricey for what you get ($23 bucks for a plate of pasta ...I nearly wigged out when I saw that ...someone needs to tell them ..."It's Pasta"!!)

50's diner = love it ....love it ....love it. Never had a bad time or a bad meal ...simple food ...tasty ....and they make a killer Bloody Mary.

1900 park fare = we always do it for breakfast, good food, good times, love to get my pic every year with Pooh ...and the second best Bloody Mary in WDW ...in my opinion

75disney

Can't comment on all of them because there are several that we have not eaten at. But you have several of our favorites listed: Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, Akershus, Tusker house, Prime Time, Sci Fi. Coral Reel was just ok, but the atmosphere is great. I have head great things about Liberty Tree and Via Napoli although I have yet to try them. I would do the Brown Derby over Hollywood and Vine. Finally, I suggest O'hana. I know you said you don't like spicy; I don't either and I am A conservative eater, but I love O'hana. It is not spicy and the atmosphere is a lot of fun, with the coconut racers, hula hoop contests, and strolling ukulele player. You seem to have a great list.

Mukta

be our guest - beautiful theming. Definitely eat here
liberty tree, - I have always liked lunch and dinner here. It is standard American food (Stouffer's)
crystal palace, I liked lunch and dinner here, but it was nothing special unless you really want to see Pooh
coral reef, - I eat here a lot even though I don't love the food. Atmosphere is great
rose and crown, - I am not a big fan of British food, but it was good.
via napoli, - Decent Naples style food
restaurant akershus, Never tried it
garden grill, One of my favorite meals. I can't say enough about this place
50's diner, - great fun and good food. Dessert menu is a viewfinder? Awesome
chef mickeys, never tried it
1900 park fare Dinner was ok, but character interaction was incredible
todds english blue zoo, never tried it
garden grove, never tried it
t rex, rainforest cafe, these 2 are basically the same. Pick the theme you liked best
tusker house, never tried it
scifi diner, I love the atmosphere here but the food is just ok
hollywood and vine or hollywood brown derby for the Fantasmic! package. Pick Brown Derby. Seriously.

luv

I think you should go everywhere you want to try. I think you picked some winners!

If there were one to pull, I'd vote for the lunch/dinner at Rainforest...but it is a unique experience, so why not give it a shot?

Have fun! :)

popcenturylover

Can only comment on a few;
Chef Mickey's- great atmosphere, food just meh!
Coral Reef- good atmosphere though a bit loud, our food & service was great!
Akershus- fun atmosphere especially for a little princess, breakfast food was excellent!
Via Napoli-atmosphere is ok, also a bit loud, & I've had better pizza at the local mom & pop shops here at home!
As other people have said I would definitely try O'hana for dinner. It was our favorite meal of the week on our last trip!

Last edited:

dreamfinder

Skip Hollywood and Vine. Breakfast/Lunch with the characters for the kiddies might be ok, but it's not worth doing it for dinner. Should have thought something was up when we walked in, and they had maybe a dozen occupied tables. Bland food that definitely wasn't worth the price. We did it once, checked it off the list, and probably never again.

bethymouse

I'd skip t rex and rf cafe plus H&V. Just my humble opinion. I guess if I had to choose 1, it's be t rex over rainforest, but that's a personal preference. H&V is definitely geared toward very young Disney Jr. folks.;)

JillC LI

I'd skip Akershus unless you're doing it for the princess experience in which case I'd stick with breakfast because everyone in our family (adventurous food eaters and non) hated our dinner there (but the princess interaction was great). Rose & Crown is particular great if you can get an ADR shortly before IllumiNations begins. Go with Brown Derby over H&V for Fantasmic - the Cobb salad and grapefruit cake live up to their reputation. If you have breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, make sure to try the strawberry soup.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom